99 Cold start and battery drain - g4zkent
1999 ford courier van, 2 problems... 1: battery draining dead overnight. 2: if i disconnect battery, reconnect in the morning its still a pig to start, will crank for 15/20 secs before firing up with a cloud of smoke, .but if i warm the plugs 3 times, (ie wait for light to go out, then turn off/on again) then it seems a hell of a lot better. iv looked on forums and seen a lot of different views on plugs and maybe air. glow plugs are new (but think there cheap) could the plug relay be causing both problems? where is the relay exactly in the fuse box? was told the 1st square at the back..mines empty!!!!!!
thanx in advance
gaz

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 27/10/2007 at 22:50

cold start and battery drain - Screwloose
gaz

Turn on the ignition and listen for the click 12 seconds later.
cold start and battery drain - g4zkent
sorry, do you mean just the ignition so the plug light comes on, or start the engine and wait?
gaz

Just the ignition - ignore the light - the relay should click off after about 12 seconds and you should be able to ID it from there.
ok, tried that and didnt hear a click from fuse box, will the plugs still warm without the relay? just not switch off again? as it starts when warmed 3 times, but could the plugs not switching off cause the battery drain that i get?
i havent a clue on diesel engines really
gaz

It may not be in the fuse box; but it's a solid click, so you should be able to hear it.

I can't recall where a '99 Courier relay is; but if it's stuck, then it will drain the battery.

Have a look in the handbook; Ford are brilliant at showing relay locations.

Frankly; without any test equipment at all, this is best left to a good sparks.
ok, just tried again, after switching ignition and running round to my engine im getting the click from the relay in the fuse box on a count of 6? being that my 3 attempt start method giving me an 18 count? if it works like that.
im at a lost end now!!!
any help appreciated
gaz
gaz

Exactly; with no means of testing you're not going to get far with an electrical fault.

You've likely got at least two glow plugs gone; but you've no way to tell which and even if they're getting any power. You're going to need, at least, a circuit tester.

If the relay is clicking out; then it's not likely to be your battery drain.
any ideas anybody? if relay is tripping at 6 secs then is it faulty. could loose fan belt cause battery drain