00 rear door deadlocked, won't open - dieselnut
My sons Passat o/s rear door is deadlocked shut & won't unlock.
If you pull the lever from inside, the locking pin comes up but even while pulling the lever you can't open the door. As soon as you let go of the lever the pin goes back flush with the door trim.
I've managed to remove the door card & all the bolts from the metal door frame that hold the window mechanism.
Acording to the Haynes manual, the door lock motor wires are black/grey & black/blue on the multi connector. These test open circuit so looks like the locking motor is dead.
Does anyone know how you can release the lock so it can be changed ?

Edited by Pugugly on 07/03/2009 at 23:06

2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - L'escargot
It might seem like a daft question, but is there perchance a switch somewhere at the front which prevents the rear doors from being opened from the inside in the interests of child safety ~ like on my Focus.
--
L\'escargot.
2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - richiek
There is such a switch on my golf and also on my previous golf which was a 2000 so there could well be one on a passat.
2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - dieselnut
There is a switch on the drivers door to unlock all doors, but it won't unlock the o/s rear door. The door can't be opened from inside or outside.
2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - Dave_TD
OK I'm trying to diagnose this one over the phone for a mate, but it seems like he's got the same problem on an '02 Octavia hatch he's just bought (220,000 miles, taxi).

The o/s/r door won't open from the inside or from the outside, the interior door trim has been removed and the latch "looked at" but still the latch won't operate. He's even gone as far as removing the other rear door interior trim and then removing the latch to compare the two sides, but we can't figure out a way to get the latch to release. Surely there must be a manual override for the mechanism somewhere? Something you poke with a screwdriver to spring the door open?

Until this problem is fixed the car can't go for its new taxi plate, and my mate has just set up a new cab firm and needs all his cars on the road earning money.

All input greatly appreciated,

Dave TD.
2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - crosbyvalet
Ive now got exactly the same problem with my passat 1.8T 1999,
could you email or print if you solved this problem,or anyone else who knows the answer.

Regards

Pete
2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - Falkirk Bairn

Many years ago I had a similar problem with a Peugeot 305 - position of childlock noted on the side that opened - bent metal coat hanger pushed in between door and wheel arch - 5 mins later success - scraped wheel arch but in a 7 year old better to have opening doors than a jammed one.

However, I do not know where the child locks are on your car(s)

2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - dieselnut

Although I started this thread 3 years ago, the door un-deadlocked itself eventually & continued to work fine for the rest of our ownership, a further 2 years.

The printed circuit connections often seem to get dry joints, try banging the door close to the lock while operating the remote.

If that doesn't work follow the thread below off VWAudiforum :-

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106579&highlight=deadlock

best of luck.

2000 Saloon, rear door deadlocked, won't open - crosbyvalet

Many many thanks for that reply and link to vwaudio furums which I have now joined.

Advice there is very thorough-dont know if im skilled enough to attempt it though!!

another good site for vw owners with all things passat is

www.ukpassats.co.uk/

Regards

Pete

Crosby Valeting