Xantia alarm problem - doug_523i
I've had my Xantia 2.0 16v for nearly 3 years and yesterday it started making a short, strangulated beep when I used the deadlocks. It now does it every time, and last night the alarm went off for no obvious reason.

The rear nearside door has always made a groaning noise when the deadlocks are used, so my brother in law thinks that maybe it's given up the ghost and leaving an open circuit.

Any ideas?
Xantia alarm problem - terryb
Only negative ideas, I'm afraid Doug.

I assume you've checked the handbook for clues but I'd have thought if the rear door wasn't locking the alarm wouldn't arm itself - that's what has always happened with my Citroens anyway (eg if a door wasn't closed properly).

Have you tried manually deadlocking the doors then trying to open them from the outside? Put the key into the driver's door and hold it in the locking position for 5 seconds. This throws the deadlocks and sets warning lights flashing but doesn't really set the alarm. May give a clue as to whether the deadlocks are working okay and it will certainly avoid annoying the neighbours with a false alarm until it's fixed!
Terry :o)
The door locks with the central locking, I don't know about the deadlocks though, it groans as though a motor is struggling to do something, whereas the other doors lock with a loud clunk.
Xantia alarm problem - JohnD
Hi Doug - From new, my Xantia nearly always beeped when the alarm and deadlocks were set. Then anything from one hour till the middle of the night, the alarm would sound and the lights flashed. The car went back many times to Citroen, but eventually the rear door lock was replaced. Since then, no more beeping, unless a door is not properly closed, and everythings been fine.
This confirms what I suspected, but I'll try deadlocking with the key in the door to check. I've found that my motorcycle shackle lock goes through the handle on the inside of the drivers door, and through the steering wheel. It means I have to get into the passenger side to unlock it in the morning, but it's a small price for peace of mind.