squealing pulley - stunorthants26
My new 420 D has a squealing pulley - by the looks of it, the bearing has gone or its just loose - it is on the route of the alternator belt ( also water pump? ), which looks like it runs off the engine, so my question is really, should I worry about the pulley in an urgent way as it appears it could affect the cambelt if the pulley gave way altogether?

The surface of the pulley is worn almost to a chrome finish whereas the others are dull, so I think its not a new problem - could it also affect the belt?

The car does seem to be affected in the way it runs by this but should I keep driving it or lay it up till monday when its going in for servicing? I dont want to invite disaster!
squealing pulley - Robin the Technician
Hi,
You may be looking too much into the squealing pulley as its most likely to be the belt itself. A simple test is to get a cup of water and whilst revving the engine up (causing it to squeal), pour the water over the alternator belt (you might get a little wet). If the squealing stops then you either need to tighten the belt or better still, replace it - the water makes the belt grip the pulley

Hope this helps

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
squealing pulley - Dynamic Dave
the water makes the belt grip the pulley

Whenever I've previously driven through deep water and it's splashed up into the engine bay the reverse has happened and the belt slipped.
squealing pulley - scrapmetal
I worked at arover dealer for 13 years until recently, these pulleys used to come apart. The outside roller and bearing used to fall, i would get a new pulley and belt fitted, not a hard job and piece of mind.
squealing pulley - stunorthants26
I had my mechanic look at it - it looks like the tensioner ( for the aux belt not cambelt ) is knackered and is sitting at an odd angle. As such, where the belt is coming off the pulley on the engine, its pulling against one edge of the pulley, thus causing the squealing.

He said that as he is doing the cambelt on monday, he will have to remove the other belt anyway so he will replace the tensioner for the aux belt ( and the belt ) at same time, so save on labour.
He said looking at it, the tensioner is worn smooth and has most likely been like it for some time, the belt is also being worn on one side.

He said it has a second belt on the opposite side of the engine - what does this drive?
Its a 420 D '96. It has the cambelt on the left hand side of the engine but a shorter one on the other side next to the airbox - ive never seen this arrangement before hence I ask?

Thanks for the advice so far.
squealing pulley - scrapmetal
its for the fuel pump that sits on the front of engine, change this belt at same time.