1998 1.9TD - Fan/Aux Belt - wolfmeister
Changed the engine on my pug 306 4/5 months mainly thanks to my mate. I particularly remember what a pig the aux/fan belt was to get back on.
In the last few weeks i have been getting a whirring noise coming when idle. Yesterday this sounded worse, also a clicking could be heard when turning over engine. I was concerned that a bearing could be going on the diesel pump or a/c pump ( sounded like noise was coming from there). Had a quick look last night in dark and sprayed a bit of pen oil on the pulley bearings where accessible.
Started car this morning noisey again at first, went 100 yards and aux/belt went.

Does it sound like bearing has caused the problem, caused by overtighted belt or do i just need a new belt.
My air con leaks anyway so dont want to get a new pump if i can help it.

Any help would be great. Many thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 24/10/2007 at 13:08

1998 1.9TD - Fan/Aux Belt - DP
Are you getting the noise now the belt has gone? If no, that eliminates the diesel pump.

You can check the air-con pump bearings for play or noise now the belt is off. If you can trace the problem to the air-con pump and you're not fussed about getting it fixed, the easy fix is to just buy a (shorter) replacement belt for a non air-con model and leave the air-con pump "undriven".

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
1998 1.9TD - Fan/Aux Belt - RichardW
It's possible the crank pulley has broken up. The auto tensioner on these is also a known weak point, and it's possible the pivot bearing is knackered. Changing it is a bit tough as the alternator, PAS pump and bracket have to come out. I'd get someone who knows their way around this to have a look at it.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
1998 1.9TD - Fan/Aux Belt - wolfmeister
The noise stopped after the belt went. Taking it to the local garage this afternoon to see what they think. Don't fancy having a crack at it in this weather outside!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/10/2007 at 13:45

1998 1.9TD - Fan/Aux Belt - DL
I expect the tensioner wheel has a worn bearing, common XUD point.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....