Can anyone give me some advice please! - Lola_r_hamster
Bought my renault last jan and the fiat garage (they told me they own renault dealership in another town) had lost the service history between the trade in and me buying it, they said when they come across it they will let me have it

gulliable as i am i accepted this, as they assured that they had serviced it for years etc details all on their computer.

the battery died last week and the radio has gone off - local renault garage said i should never have bought it without the service history and service book, also i need to take it back to fiat garage i bought it from so they can apply for the radio code. Renault advised me to buy a blank service manual (a few quid) and get the fiat garage to fill it in with their details!

The fiat want proof of ownership from me to supply radio code ( is this normal?) and say they dont have service history to fill in my manual (i could scream!).

Any advice on how to deal with them please! Have they broken any motoring laws etc...

ta Lola
Can anyone give me some advice please! - DP
It depends.

If you have it in writing, or you have the original advert that says the car has a service history, then you may have a case under the Trades Descriptions Act as the car is not "as described". Otherwise, it comes down to your word against the salesman's, and proving the comments about temporarily misplacing the service book, and the details being on the computer would be pretty much impossible.

I had a similar thing done to me when I bought my Mondeo (waiting for the history to be forwarded blah blah)N and it turned out to be a load of carp, but had nothing in writing and no leg to stand on. In any case, it was only a 2 grand car, was HPI clear, and I could see it had received regular maintenance, so I wasn't too worried (put 40k on it since and it's fine). Had I spent 10 grand, I would have been more fussy.

Might be worth a visit to your local Citizens Advice to confirm your position, but in all honesty I reckon you'll probably have to chalk it up to experience and move on.

Any Renault dealer should be able to get you your code for a small fee. Requiring proof of ownership is a normal thing.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
ta for the post,

if i havent got a leg to stand on i will ask them to apply for the code from renault for me as a good will gesture. Like you said it was a 3K car which is running lovely etc etc, not a fortune!

Lola
x
Can anyone give me some advice please! - madf
My experience of ALL salemen...car or otherwise... is they will promise anything to get a sale.
It's your job as a buyer to ensure you get it before you take possession...

In my case that has meant waiting for floor mats, new light bulbs, touch up paint, cigarette lighters to be fitted before I drove away.

It may take 2-3 hours longer but it's worth the wait.
madf
Thanks madf

will bear that sound advice in mind for next time. Although im hoping it wont be too soon as im hoping to keep this one till it stops for good!

Lola
x
Can anyone give me some advice please! - bell boy
Although im hoping it wont
be too soon as im hoping to keep this one till it stops for good!

>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> next week then ;-)