first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - bell boy
ok i will start the ball rolling

must be a genuine GB available car, ie no slovakian imports or 1933 specials.
remember not savage 500 trims or any of their ilk

I think it was a 1982 ford sierra

anybody?
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Lud
Can't answer bb, but since you mention them I will say that I really, really despise the things. What has happened to the wheels painted body colour or an agreeable contrasting one, and the honest pressed-steel hubcap, to stop the nuts from rusting?

Can't stand these damn basketwork jobs or the faux alloy look. Yuck.
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - billy25
Savage 500 wheel-trims! I had a set of those, was forever going into fields to retrieve them when i hit a bump and they "frisbee'd" over the hedges.

Billy
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Round The Bend
"oe" Wot's that then?
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - SpamCan61 {P}
"oe" Wot's that then?

original equipment guv
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Round The Bend
Oh!
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Happy Blue!
Audi 100 (Cd 0.30 in the rear quarterlights)? Was that just before or after the Sierra?
Cavalier mk2? maybe just ahead of the Sierra.
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - George Porge
I was thinking Princess or Marina, but can't remember if they went all the way to the rim.

Too young see ;o)

Edited by Dox on 18/10/2007 at 17:00

first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - paulb {P}
My Dad's Maxi 2 L definitely had them - that was a W-reg, so 1979/80, I guess.
yes found a w reg maxi paulb {P}
anybody beat that then?

first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Tornadorot
I think the first BL car with full-width trims was the Allegro 3 in 1979 (Maxi 2 was launched in 1980). Minis and Marinas etc. had plastic wheel trims before that but they weren't quite full-width. The Sierra was the first to have flush, "aerodynamic" wheel trims, following the Probe III concept car.
The Sierra was the first to have flush "aerodynamic"
wheel trims following the Probe III concept car.

>>>>>>> thanks Typ 8L that was probably what i was thinking when i asked the question

amernd.........thanks everyone who thought wrote and even those who posted nowt ,i lurve yers all ;-)

Edited by bell boy on 19/10/2007 at 13:45

audi sounds good,i went and looked at a picture and the computer friezed
can only remember cavaliers with plastic centre caps or rostyle wheels on a mk 1
i think the marina only had them on the last ones styled by piniforina and called itals?
old indeed;-(

first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - freddy1
mini clubman , possably? fastened on with the wheel nuts , not sure of the yr thou
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I remember the Arrows type Humber Sceptre of 1967 having full sized nave plates.
But they were a brushed stainless effect IIRC and definitely not plastic.

Think the Mini Clubman had metal trims as well.

My Maxi had conventional 'hub caps'. Can't remember what my Mk II Marina had(probably for the best).
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - madf
My 1971 Mini Clubman had plastic wheel trims as descibed above. Very good quality iirc.

Did not Citroen have them on DS models?
madf
"Did not Citroen have them on DS models?"

no they had balloon tyres

www.allsportauto.com/english/detailphoto.php3?zl_i...4
ok the ds did have them in 1968
www.allsportauto.com/english/detailphoto.php3?zl_i...6

alan
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - boxsterboy
The DS did indeed, but these were metal, and the OP asked about plastic trims. Initially I thought of the very first Sierras (1981?), but I think Maxi 2 and Allegro 2 may be the first in the late 1970s?
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Lud
Proper metal wheel discs on the DS, not these carp plastic things.
"Proper metal wheel discs on the DS, not these carp plastic things"

maybe the replacement ones (made in india/china) where plastic tho
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - George Porge
TR7?
can only remember cavaliers with plastic centre caps or rostyle wheels on a mk 1

Yep, I'm pretty sure they didn't fit full width plastic covers until the first MK2s.

I'm sad enough to remark to SWMBO when a Cavalier goes past with the wrong type of wheel trim on for the model year.

I ran my Cavalier mk3 for years with a different style of Vauxhall wheel trim on each side, scavanged from the local tip, on the basis you couldn't see both sides of the car at once.

That's probably enough wheel trim related nostalgia from me.
when car stripes down the swage was all the rage in the eighties and 90"s lots of my cars had different stripes down either side if i ran out halfway round the car
a customer came back about four years ago with his saxo, i had fitted another door on one side with a colour coded door handle fitted, he had run this car for 3 years and never noticed it till his car got bumped and the assesor picked up on it

SMILEY SMILEY
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - Cliff Pope
Can't answer bb but since you mention them I will say that I really really
despise the things. What has happened to the wheels painted body colour or an agreeable
contrasting one and the honest pressed-steel hubcap to stop the nuts from rusting?
Can't stand these damn basketwork jobs or the faux alloy look. Yuck.

I do agree Lud.
On a pedantic point, as was once pointed out to me, the correct name for the metal wheel nut covers is nave plate. Hub caps are the things that keep the grease in the wheel bearings.
These used to be a work of art in themselves. I have a 1954 ex army trailer and it has cast steel hub caps with the maker's initials embossed and nicely picked out in red to contrast with the green.

A few years ago I saw a restored 20s car with what looked like wooden spoked wheels. On closer look they were steel, with the spokes carefully grained to look like wood. Enormous solid brass hub caps.
first car with full plastic size oe wheel trims - gmac
FIAT126 had full size plastic wheel trims but can't remember if they had to wait for the engine increase from 594 to 652 (or even to the 'full blown' 704) before they could add the extra weight :)