Cost to put right? - Miller
My car failed its MOT today and needs the following work doing:

A new brake pipe, 3 brake hoses and handbrake cable to replace.

Could anyone please advise me of a rough estimate for cost of repair as I have not got time to go from garage to garage for quotes. The car is a 94 Citroen ZX.

By the way I recommend that you take your car to the local bus depot for its test, they will give you an honest appraisal of what needs doing because they usually do not have the facility to do the work themselves and therefore are not out to make a profit.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Cost to put right? - M.M
M,

This a very quick guestimate.

Allow an average of £10 for each of the pipes/cables so that's £50 (could be nearer £80 if some Citroen OEs used) in parts.

Brake pipes and hoses (as well as handbrake cables!) can be a devil with seized unions etc so labour should be on a time taken basis but perhaps 2 or 3 hours. If you know the approx rate at the type of place you use then work it out on that basis.

If any of the work is in the area of ther rear wheel cylinders, and these have never been changed, then seized unions could require the cylinders replacing as well at another £20ea for the parts.

Hope that helps.

David W
Cost to put right? - Ian Cook
I don't want to appear pessimistic, but this could cost you a bob or two. Coupled with David W's estimate I can add my own experiences.

ZX handbrake cable cost me about £120 (fitted) at a Citroen main dealer, several years ago. Also on my son's 306 (same design) there was a seized handbrake cable on one side. The final butcher's bill, doing the job ourselves, was: 1/2 day labour, one new wheel cylinder, set of rear brake shoes.

One of the nice things about self adjusting rear brakes is that you don't have to take the rear drums off very often. One of the nasty things about self adjusting rear brakes is that you don't ever take the rear drums off until something goes wrong - and then everything's seized and worn.

Best of luck

Ian Cook
Cost to put right? - borasport20
can't advise on the costs but must agree on the wisdom of getting your MOT done at any garage that does not also do repairs

for anybody in the wigan area I can recommend Ashton MOT centre - they've passed my cars, and failed them !