07 - ecu light on again, despite 3 new cam sensors - thrustyjust
We bought the wife,who is a driving instructor a brand new Yaris diesel 4 months ago.Within a week the engine management light showed up.We have now had 3 cam sensors fitted,including we were told by Toyota 'a different version' just last week.Now the light is on again.The dealer is getting another one in,but the wife has now threatened to leave the keys there if it is not repaired this time and a full refund of the car value.I believe we are entitled to this,as the fault has been on the car since new and the dealer has not sorted it.Everytime the car goes into be fixed,the wife looses revenue and clients and cost money in fuel ( 40 mile round trip).What is the next step to take.We don't really want to get rid of the car,as it is a nice sensible learning car,we just need to know how we can resolve the issue,because I don't believe fitting sensor no 4 is the answer.

{subject header given more meaningful title}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2007 at 17:36

New Car Problems - Screwloose
tj

I don't suppost that they told you the actual code number? Doesn't anyone in that dealership think in anything but straight lines?

Any code is for some error in the whole circuit; the ECU can't tell a wiring issue from a faulty component. No code is a part replacement instruction.

Cam position codes can also be flagged by synchronization issues with the crank/TDC sensor.

Anyone checked the chain tension, or for incorrectly machined sprocket/keyway issues?
New Car Problems - Bill Payer
She may not have the same 'entitlement' as a private individual if the car was bought by, and used for, business purposes.

I would be speaking to Toyota directly though - gently pointing out that this looks terrible for them as it's putting off all the potential Yaris owners passing through your wifes hands.
New Car Problems - thrustyjust
she is entitled to the same as any other motorist as it is her private car.She has a 60k or 3 year warrany.The dealer knew of the cars intended use and actually fitted the pedals for it.The dealer has spoken to Toyota technical and they confirm there is an issue caused by stalling.This is obviously something learners do.They are awaiting what to do next and may include an alternative ECU.This is what the dealer says and can only question what a different ecu will do.I will keep you informed of the outcome.
New Car Problems - injection doc
If its triggered by staling thats quite a common problem on may cars & on some they will get unrelated codes thrown up by stalling.
Common one used to be vauxhalls with AFM fault that was triggered by stalling due to naf IAC valves
New Car Problems - Bill Payer
she is entitled to the same as any other motorist as it is her private
car.

When you said "entitled" I assumed you meant legally entitled.

Edited by Bill Payer on 16/10/2007 at 22:46

New Car Problems - injection doc
Screw loose is on the right lines, could be a syncronization problem as a cam & crank sensor have to relate to one another & if one is out of parameters it will bring up MIL.
Cam timing needs checking, cam sensor air gap could be out of tolerence or cam sesor wire needs more screening or improved earth. I would scope both the sensors next.
Rgds Doc