Excessive Service cost ? - Statistical outlier
I?m interested in people?s opinions on where I stand on this.

I?ve just had my 50k service at a local franchised Honda dealer I?ve not used before. While I am pleased with the service I have received, I am not as happy with the price I have paid.

When I rang to ask for a quotation for the 50k service, I was told that it would cost £340 inc. VAT. I queried why this was so much, and was told that it was the same price as the 25k service. I had had my previous services undertaken by another franchised Honda dealer, and had been extremely unhappy with the service, but never the less had only been charged £240 for the 25k service.

I went through what was needed with the member of staff on the phone, and it was explained that the previous dealer had not performed the specified valve clearance check, a procedure that costs £100 as it is very time consuming. Obviously this explained the difference - a £240 service plus £100 for the valve clearances.

Upon picking up the car this evening, it was mentioned by the service reception that they had been mistaken, that the valve gear is hydraulic on the diesel, and that no adjustment is required. However, the price for the service was still £340, as this is ?set by central office?. The staff were polite and helpful, but advised me to contact head office to take this further.

I have written to request that they honour the price that was quoted when I booked the service - £240. Given that they have forgotten to charge me the £10 administration charge for the courtesy car, a point I have only just realised, I have requested a refund of £90 be made to honour the price quoted for the work.

Is this reasonable, or do I just need to lump it? What's the situation with a verbal quote?

Gord

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/10/2007 at 18:55

Excessive Service cost ? - T Lucas
Not worth the paper its written on.
Excessive Service cost ? - Gromit {P}
A verbal quote stands, provided you asked for a quotation on the actual price of the work required, not an estimate of how much it might cost. A subtle but important difference!

Proving the quote was £240 is another thing! You did remember to note the price, the £100 extra for "valve clearance check" and the name of the person you spoke to in your diary on the day you booked the service, didn't you?
Price, yes. Name, no. And an electronic diary, so another case of not worth the paper it's written on.

Clearly I have no chance in a court of law, but how hard can I argue?
Excessive Service cost ? - Gromit {P}
I'd argue hard. You chose the workshop on the basis of their price. They said a valve check would be extra - you didn't need a valve check doing so why should you pay for it.

If that doesn't get results, the next question is why does this garage know the car so badly they thought it needed a valve check when it doesn't, and why are you being asked to pay for their incompetence.

After that, a letter to Honda UK explaining how this inept service, in addition to your previous experiences with them as discussed here in the Back Room, is turning you into a very dissatisfied Honda driver who won't buy - or recommend - them again. I would expect Honda to take this more seriously than other makers given that much of their custom stems from their reputations for reliability and customer service!
Excessive Service cost ? - oldpostie
SQ
I wonder if a letter to Honda in Japan would get some reaction. I once wrote a letter to BMW in Munich, in German, (with help), over BMW GB's inability to supply a brake light switch for my motorcycle. It did get pretty quick results.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/10/2007 at 22:58

A quick update.

I sent a letter and email to the chairman of the franchise that operates the branch I?d been to. I had a phonecall from the manager of the garage I?d used a couple of days later. Essentially he said he couldn?t agree more with my point, I?d clearly been overcharged, and he asked where I wanted the cheque sent to.

It?s not turned up yet, but I?ve not been home since Monday and our post?s been shot by the strike, so I?m inclined to believe that the problem has been very easily solved. Kudos to Honda for admitting the error; albeit it would have been nice if I hadn?t had to write.

Shame they overfilled the car again, by about a litre this time. Very annoying, but they have drained it and given me a litre to top it up if they took too much out (I was in a serious hurry as I?d noticed when leaving for a meeting).

Edited by Gordon M on 24/10/2007 at 00:41

Excessive Service cost ? - Bill Payer
This is something that you really have to watch if you have a low mileage Jazz - that does need the valve adjustment (and 8 spark plugs changing) every 2 yrs. However the service schedule highlights that it should only be done at 25K miles.

Of course you don't get told that when you ask the service price, and in our case it was only pressing the point (before the service was done) that brought about a reduction - the Service Receptionist was adamant that the price was fixed, and they would carry out whatever work was neccessary for that price!

I had a similar problem at 3yrs - that's nothing more than an oil change but the higher price than the 12mth service was explained by a quite expensive fuel filter needing changing. Yet is wasn't on the invoice. When I queried that I got a shrug and the 'the price is fixed' explanation.
Final update - cheque arrived as promised. Jon done.
Excessive Service cost ? - madf
I guess I'm a tight git.
Not only do I get a phone quote - and write it down in detail, I also confirm its with the service receptionist when I deliver the car. It prevents "accidental" overcharging.

It may sound finnicky but I have NEVER been charged more as a result...

I also do the same on anything lese I buy. Sometimes the price has fallen when I confirm it in person.

Also when buying cars, I always check the sticker price and the internet price. The latter is often several £100 cheaper...

( I used to run a purchasing department for a time: I am also a Scot. From Aberdeen. Yorkshire people are spendthrifts imo:-)
madf
I did some of that (quotes and so on).

My problem wasn't so much over-charging, it was more like under-servicing :-).

Edited by Gordon M on 26/10/2007 at 17:12

Excessive Service cost ? - Manatee
Whereabouts do you live Gordon? I was charged £300 for the 25k service on the diesel CRV - I considered this excessive for a service where they don't even take the wheels off, though I wasn't surprised having been charged £165 for what amounts to an oil change at 12.5k. I put it down to being in the south east.
I'm in the Midlands, north of Birmingham. Probably shouldn't be more precise as I've sometimes been rather uncomplimentary about dealers around here..