2004 1.6 sportka - battery fitting question. - mattsnaps
I wonder if anyone can answer this simple question? I've just purchased a new Ka battery in preparation of the frosty mornings, went out to change it for the old 'un & stood there stumped! It's probably just me being daft but I can't see a way of removing the webbing strap that holds the old battery tight. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks - Matt

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/10/2007 at 16:08

Hi all...& a KA battery fitting question. - Screwloose
Matt

There will be a bolt and clamp at the base of the battery; the strap is only a back-up.
Hi all...& a KA battery fitting question. - mattsnaps
Ah right,ok. I'll look at it again tomorrow a.m. I assumed there would be a clamp & bolt at the rear, I just can't see how to remove the strap. It would need taking off first before I tackle the clamp at the back. Many thanks for your reply.>> Matt
snipquote

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/10/2007 at 18:44

Hi all...& a KA battery fitting question. - jc2
The strap on mine is held in place by the clamp bolt.(on mine it is at the side).
Thats great. I thought it was held on by the bolt on the right hand side (as you look at it). Looks like i need a longer socket piece, it won't go over the long thread. Cheers for your help.
Hi all...& a KA battery fitting question. - ChicksFan
Try a box spanner, that'll do it.
Hi all...& a KA battery fitting question. - Another John H
Is it true that many/most current Fords _require_ a Silver/Calcium battery?

If so, what are the consequences of fitting an "old school" lead/acid battery??
I can't confirm or deny that I'm afraid. I just went to a motor factors & they gave me a maintenance free 'banner' car battery...took 31 pounds for the privelage though! It doesn't say Silver/Calcium anywhere on it.

What year is it?
It's a 2004 1.6 sportka.

{Added into subject header - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/10/2007 at 16:09

Then it will need a silver calcium battery. They charge at 15-16 volts and will trash a lead acid one in short order.
Oh ok. I've still got the reciept & haven't fitted it yet. Looks like the battery will be returned & I'll ask for a silver calcium one. Thanks for the info.
matt

Most places will try and con you that "It'll be OK." It won't.
To be honest I just asked for a Sportka battery, they punched the details into the computer & that's what it came up with-I saw the screen. So now I know what to specify...the silver calcium one...I'll be prepared. Thanks again.
Not that I was doubting you Screwloose lol, but I've just done a Silver/Calcium battery search out of interest, & what you say is correct. It clearly says so on the Bosch site & a Ford online parts site. Cheers for the info.
2004 1.6 sportka - battery fitting question. - avidhjreader
SportKa & StreetKa & Ka variants - Battery Fitting / Removal
Kisses - Keep it Simple & Effective Solution (5 minutes or less).
1. Use a small torchlight to see the screw & tall thread at battery's side.
2. Spray WD40 on it (use red tube that comes with it). Wait small.
3. Get 16mm Spark Plug socket (temporary remove its inner plastic) and add wrench with 2 small wrench extensions and gently apply pressure.
Easy Peasy - no cutting ties etc. You can use a copper tube and washer to replace if you wish but its not really necessary.
2004 1.6 sportka - battery fitting question. - Galaxy

Edit.....Just realised this is a 7 year old thread!

Edited by Galaxy on 08/02/2014 at 18:25

2004 1.6 sportka - battery fitting question. - jc2

Due to so much confusion,Ford dealers only supply "Silver Calcium" batteries-they are backwards compatible-ie. can be fitted to all ages of car-just more expensive.

2004 1.6 sportka - battery fitting question. - Nemo183

You can do all this (maybe) or you can cut the strap!