oil overfill - Kostic
Bought a Mazda 6 about 2.5 weeks ago. Did regular checks the other day and noticed oil overfill. I'd say it is quite significant. It goes above max to nearly the same distance as from min to max marks on the dipstick (so I think it is about 0.7 litres). This however wasn't checked on a completely level ground, so in reality it may be a little bit less.

I phoned the dealer that sold me the car and told them about the probelm and they are going to rectify it tomorrow.

Now, the thing is, it was serviced by them about 1.5 months ago, so I think this is when the overfill occurred. The car has done some mileage since (in the order of 700 miles, about 500 of which are mine). There are no leaks or anything unusual so far. It drives well. Fuel consumption on the long run was as expected.

I wonder, if the overfill had caused a problem, would it be noticeable by now? Should I request the dealership to check the exhaust gas is up to MOT standards, in case damage to the cat has been done?

Thanks,

Kostic

Edited by Kostic on 12/10/2007 at 12:27

oil overfill - piston power
it will be ok no need to worry, no need to get them to check emissions because they will tell you they did even if they haven't!!
oil overfill - Armitage Shanks {p}
Get them to check the emissions and show you the print out. The cat could be damaged/polluted
oil overfill - Civic8
If it was going to cause problems it would have done by now,i wouldn't worry with that amount!
oil overfill - js.b1
Your oil sump consists of the oil level, an air gap, sump baffle and a spinning crankshaft above it.

If the oil level is too high the crankshaft will whip the oil into a foam, which has poor film strength. The result can be lubrication failure at bearings.

With the car level it may seem ok. The moment the car ascends/descends a hill the driver reports "engine lugged" or "note changed".

Example of the latter was a main dealer emptying 5L bottle into 3.7L sump+filter. They normally put a 4L bottle in creating a 300ml overfill (less a bit). That particular engine preferred a 0.3L overfill.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/03/2008 at 00:47