Roof boxes vs trailers - gmac
Having seen the Roof box and economy thread it started me thinking what are the relative merits of a roof box verses a trailer ?
I can't imagine there's much in it cost wise between a tow bar and trailer vs various roof bars, attachments and the cost of something like a Thule box.
The roofbox is obviously limited by the (usually) 75kgs roof mounting weight of most cars and the trailer can be used for runs to the tip etc...
I would imagine the trailer would be better for fuel economy trailing in the wake of the car though obviously you are then limited by speed.
Roof boxes vs trailers - local yokel
Trailer limited to 60 mph, and costs more on ferry/tunnel, but you also pay extra for higher roof height on most crossings as well.
Roof boxes vs trailers - billy25
Roofboxes - aerodynamic styling, neat, no moving parts, no speed restrictions, no probs reversing etc, drawback limited loading.

Trailers - larger fuel consumption, ungainly in tight areas/reversing. wheel bearings/lights/brakes etc to maintain, storage space when not in use (cant put it on garage rafters etc) advantage - larger load.

Choice is determined really by usage.

Billy
I've just found a third option, well really a combination of the above. Have a towbar so larger loads can go in a trailer and have a backup box when not so much extra is required (50kgs or 420 litres) which sits on the towbar.
These are £180 and drop down allowing access to the boot.

billy25, I'm not sure about the no speed restrictions on the roof box.
I've seen a few cars travelling at over 100mph on the autobahn with them but not sure what the manufacturers guarantee is regarding the mounts at these speeds. Thanks for the reply though.
Trying to weigh up pros and cons as I only have a Volvo, with a wife and daughter packing you can see my dilema :)
Roof boxes vs trailers - Cliff Pope
Trying to weigh up pros and cons as I only have a Volvo with a
wife and daughter packing you can see my dilema :)

You need a full length roof rack AND a trailer.
Roof boxes vs trailers - Stargazer {P}
Thule bars and boxes are TUV rated to 130kph or 80mph.

Roof boxes vs trailers - bathtub tom
>>with a wife and daughter packing

You need a bigger vehicle - whatever you get, youll always need a bigger vehicle. Trust me, I've got a wife and two daughters.

I'll go and lie down in a darkened room now.
Roof boxes vs trailers - Gromit {P}
gmac: Trying to weigh up pros and cons as I only have a Volvo, with a wife and daughter packing you can see my dilema :)

Trade in the Volvo for a long-wheelbase crew cab Transit. Preferably with the high roof option :-0

I'm not sure there's much point in comparing fuel burn carrying a roof box vs. towing a trailer. A typical roof box carries 75-100kg; even a light two-wheel trailer weighs 50-70kg alone and can carry up to 400kg.
Roof boxes vs trailers - Mapmaker
>>I'm not sure there's much point in comparing fuel burn carrying a roof box vs. towing a
>>trailer. A typical roof box carries 75-100kg; even a light two-wheel trailer weighs 50-
>>70kg alone and can carry up to 400kg.

There's more to it than weight. Aerodynamics count too.
Roof boxes vs trailers - PhilW
Trailer also very useful for trips to the tip with garden rubbish etc so you don't muck up your car!

Oh, and by the way - I have a 30 year old 5 foot by 3 foot "Indespension" wooden sided trailer rotting in my garden - not used it for a few (5?) years. Front cross bar has rusted badly, ply floor has rotted, tyres are knackered and it is going to the tip shortly. But someone with a little welding skill, £20 for new tyres, £10 for a new ply floor could have a good little "camping trailer" for nowt - buyer collects from Leics!
Looked rather like this (originally!)
tinyurl.com/2wjd96
Can take and forward photo of it in its present state if anyone interested!
--
Phil
Roof boxes vs trailers - Deep Inhaler
Phil,

If you cannot give it away, try Ebay. You may be surprised.
Thanks everyone for giving me a laugh regarding what to get next time.
When we went looking for the Volvo last October I looked at V70's and thought nah ! don't need anything that size, S60 will be more than enough considering we were moving from a 3 door 206.
Picked the car up 2nd December and by February I was thinking wish I'd gone for the V70...how did we fit in the 206 ???
Roof boxes vs trailers - Hugo {P}
www.freecycle.org

Someone will have it and do the work on it.
Roof boxes vs trailers - PhilW
Thanks for link Hugo, will investigate
--
Phil
Roof boxes vs trailers - Bromptonaut
Billy 25 said:-
Roofboxes - aerodynamic styling neat no moving parts no speed restrictions no probs reversing etc
drawback limited loading.

Other drawback of a roofbox is height and car park restrictions. Just about Ok with care and observation on a standard saloon/estate but try parking a Berlingo with roofbox in central Geneva.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/10/2007 at 22:09