Returning ins cert - postal strike - stunorthants26
I received a letter today asking me to send back my ins cert for a policy I cancelled.

The letter is dated 2nd Oct and says that in accordance with Road Traffic Act, I am required to return the cert within 7 days, but I only received the letter today ( 10th) and it wasnt mentioned when I cancelled policy.

Should I be worried or just send it back tomorrow first class mail? Should I ring them and just confirm its not a problem?
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Pugugly {P}
I would do both, they'll understand.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Stuartli
I'm sure you are not the only example and that the insurance company will be well aware that its request could be subject to delay.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Yes but it is a government body - where theres a fine theres dime.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Stuartli
I would agree if it had been deliberate or laziness, but not in this instance.

You can't accede to a particular request (of which you would iniitally be unaware) sent by mail until you actually receive the letter...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Maybe im just a bit cynical about a government that always seems to be on the money grab on a technicality wherever possible.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Collos25
Not many people bother to send them back all people say is it must have got lost in the post lets face it you could have made hundreds of perfect copies if you so wished.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - pendulum
Indeed - I never bothered to send mine back when they asked. There was no fine or follow up...
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Dwight Van Driver
If you have sent it back don't worry.

Never known in my lifetime for an Insurance Company to take a summons out for the offence of failing to return an Insurance Certificate. Now if it had been Plod that found you with it ....different matter.

dvd
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Chris White
Never sent my old one back last November and never had any problems since.

Chris

Edited by Chris White on 11/10/2007 at 13:59

Returning ins cert - postal strike - Bill Payer
Yes but it is a government body - where theres a fine theres dime.

Which "government body" issues insurance policies?
None that im aware of - its a point of law is it not? ( Road Traffic Act ). If I am in violation of the RTA then surely I am breaking the law and therefore it is a legal matter.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - horatio
You have to post it within 7 days, once you've done that you have complied with the law.

Not that anyone would give a scratch. The most that will happen is the insurer will chase you for it, and you say you already posted it.

And Nick Freeman the lawyer said motorists needing to pay fines (within time constraints) or return things by post during this period of strike need have no fear of penalties fines or whatever, as long as the motorist has posted the item/payment they have done all that is reaonably required of them.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Pugugly {P}
Send it back - stop worrying. Its nothing to to do with the Government, nothing to do with making money, its a legal requirment to return it that's all.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - bell boy
or
if you are worried it will go into enemy hands eat it or burn it and save a stamp
obviously you may have to sign an afidaviat
but only you know you ate it so sign anyway
bon apertite
Returning ins cert - postal strike - Dwight Van Driver
If ant are wondering why the concern here is why:

Road Traffic Act 1988 147

Where a certificate has been delivered under this section and the policy or security to which it relates is cancelled by mutual consent or by virtue of any provision in the policy or security, the person to whom the certificate was delivered MUST, within seven days from the taking effect of the cancellation?
(a) surrender the certificate to the person by whom the policy was issued or the security was given, or
(b) if the certificate has been lost or destroyed, make a statutory declaration to that effect.
(5) A person who fails to comply with subsection (4) above is guilty of an offence.

Fine £1000 - no points

dvd
I knew there was a fine in there somewhere! - funny thing is, I could steal a car and do 100 mph through town and still end up paying less of a fine than for not returning an ins cert quick enough. Wild world eh.
Returning ins cert - postal strike - billy25
You mean you could be fined more for not returning a cancelled cert, than you could for driving to the post office without insurance to post it!

Billy
Returning ins cert - postal strike - local yokel
And don't think that by sending it Special Delivery you'll get better service! Sent some important student loan docs to daughter now at uni in Liverpool. Not delivered today despite the fact that I paid £4.30 for it, but PO have now withdrawn the guarantee for the duration of the strikes.