02, 1.6 What to look for after 18 months off road? - daveym
Hi,

I've just passed my test and I'm hoping to use my partner's car, a 2000 Cordoba 1.6, which has (after foolish advice was followed) spent the past 18 months rotting away at the family home.

Personally I think it may be wiser to cut our losses, get rid and buy something that has been driven properly, but as that's not an option - I have little say on the matter - what checks would you advise making before taking the car out on the road?

It seems to start, stop and run reasonably well on the farm track we have access to; the only obvious issues which have developed are a misfire and mould on the back seats presumably caused by damp. If I try to put my foot down under 3000rpm it hesitates for a few seconds, before chugging its way to 3k, after which it surges forward. What are the most obvious causes if it's developed since the car was last used daily? As for the seats, any tips for cleaning them effectively?

Cheers people!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/10/2007 at 14:44

02, 1.6 What to look for after 18 months off road? - Rob E
Hi,
My advice would be to take it to a good independent garage and have them do a service. You will need to have the oil, coolant, brake fluid and filters changed. It seems as though the battery has survived, but you might want to replace it too. The biggest issue will be with the brakes. Serious rust could have set in to the pads and discs, hence why a mechanic needs to look over them. Is there much petrol in it? You need to get fresh petrol in it - this may be causing the poor running.

Watch out for whether the radiator is leaking, as it may have corroded internally (but it might be ok).

Don't despair. It sounds as though it's survived well. Hopefully with the above work done (which shouldn't be too expensive) it will be on form, and in dire need of a jolly long run to blow out the cobwebs!

In terms of the seats - perhaps best to give them a good scrup with an upholstery cleaner and let them dry out.

Good luck
Regards,

Rob E
==========

02, 1.6 What to look for after 18 months off road? - 659FBE
Get the cambelt changed asap. They don't like being left in one position for any length of time and develop a "set" in the rubber. Such belts nearly always fail prematurely.