rubbing noise when turning left - dylan
2003 Daihatsu Charade. This started immediately after the car was left at an airport for a week, a couple of months ago, and has been there continuously every since. There is a metallic-ish rubbing/scraping sound when turning the steering wheel to the left. It only takes a small turn of the wheel to trigger it (a few degrees), but the noise is continuous while the wheel is turned. Occurs at all speeds.

I'm not too good at pinpointing the source of noises, but it appears to be coming from the passenger side rear. That could be completely wrong though - sometimes I think it's coming from the front of the car, in the centre.

Any suggestions for what it might be? Car has been through the MOT since the noise started, if that helps rule out some possibilities.
rubbing noise when turning left - bell boy
a mouse living behind the wheelarch liner?
could bee anyting even a dry cv joint
an mot isnt a bee all and find all although many people tink it is
could i respectfully suggest a mechanic has a look who isnt deaft
rubbing noise when turning left - Rob E
Hi Dylan,

I own a 2004 04 Charade and know exactly the sound you are referring to. One (or both) driveshafts will probably need replacing. This was a known problem on early Charades. I bought mine at 18 months old and noticed the noise soon after. Both driveshafts were replaced under warranty. Since yours is 03 I assume your warranty is up, but you must push Daihatsu to make a goodwill gesture or - ideally - pay the full price. It's a manufacturing fault, and completely unacceptable to have to replace such a part at such a young age. Daihatsus are very tough cars and have a good reliability reputation, which I'm sure they're keen to uphold. They're trying to make more of a footprint in the Uk so should be keeping their customers happy.

My experience of the dealers is that they're friendly but not especially knowledgeable. If they fob you off you must insist that the driveshafts are examined, and if it's a no go with the dealer get straight onto Daihatsu UK. If you've not got a full Daihatsu history it shouldn't be an issue as long as it has been serviced. If you've missed a service along the way you should pursue this, as the condition of the driveshaft is not an indication of whether the car's been serviced on time!

The bottom line is that this part should not need replacing on a car of this age, and it's a known fault. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Other than this, are you enjoying your Charade? I hardly see any about but absolutely love mine.
Regards,

Rob E
==========

Hi Rob

We had the driveshaft problem early on, and (supposedly) both were replaced under warranty. I'm struggling to remember exactly what the symptoms were, but I think it was when turning right and only on very sharp (90 degree) turns. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me that this is slightly different symptoms for the same problem, but it makes sense. Maybe they only replaced one of the driveshafts and the other one's gone now?

I've done the last couple of services myself, so I imagine the dealer will not be overly helpful, but worth a try.

Overall we're fairly happy with the car. Engine is nippy for a 1 litre, ride is decent, and economy is good. I think the cost-cutting is evident is a few places, but then it was very cheap.

The main problem is the cost and availability of parts. For example, the only place we could get a new exhaust was Daihatsu, for around £250. When fitting it, they broke an oxygen sensor, which they charged another £200 for (eventually reclaimed from Daihatsu). An air filter was around £40. And recently I went to get an oil filter on a Saturday morning, only to find out that apparently the guy who does the parts doesn't work on Saturday mornings any more - seems it requires some special skills to look up the part number for an oil filter and go lift it off the shelf. Service like that drives me nuts - they expect me to take a half-day off work to buy an oil filter? I ended up getting a Unipart filter from a motor factor.

So the car's ok but we won't be buying another Daihatsu (or anything from any other small manufacturer).

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about the driveshaft issue. Will get that looked at.

rubbing noise when turning left - Bromptonaut
May or may not help but we had similar symptoms on our 2005 Berlingo, diagnosed as corroded brake disks. Prescribed cure of new disks and pads cured it.

Corrosion would be consistent with a car left parked up at an airport.
May or may not help but we had similar symptoms on our 2005 Berlingo diagnosed
as corroded brake disks. Prescribed cure of new disks and pads cured it.

Spot on Bromptonaut - finally got the problem looked at today (by local indie) and it was a corroded disc causing the problem. Discs and pads replaced and the noise is gone.

(As an aside, I'd convinced myself that this was going to need a new driveshaft (see rest of thread), so I called my Daihatsu dealer for a quote. The part alone is an eyewatering £340+VAT. So over £500 fitted (inc vat). Based on some internet browsing, it seems £150+VAT is more normal for a driveshaft on most cars. Another example of ridiculous parts pricing from Daihatsu that means I won't be buying another. I'm really starting to understand now why so many people buy Fords and Vauxhalls.)
Dylan,

Sorry to hear that, and that it's out of warranty. If it's any consolation, my Charade needed a new exhaust a couple of months back. It was only available through Daihatsu and cost 220 quid including fitting. Ridiculous, and wholly unacceptable that the exhaust should fall off after less than 4 years of careful ownership. I continue to enjoy the car, but am of the opinion that this model was a rogue one, and a blight on Daihatsu's reputation. I notice it was quietly dropped from Daihatsu's webiste last year and the new Charade has yet to arrive. I am saving my pennies for a brand spanking new Toyota Aygo!
Hi Dylan,

Funnily enough my problem recurred, after I thought they had fixed it. I wondered if the original dealer had actually replaced the driveshafts or not. A different dealer then replaced both under warranty.

I agree with your comments about parts, air filter seemed very pricey to me too. Nevertheless, it's not too much of an issue as I like the reliability. It seems as though the prices of Japanese car parts has now come down for the more mainstream models (eg Yaris). I hope Daihatsu follows Toyota's policy of ensuring parts for cheaper cars (like the Aygo) are low. They should, seeing as they own Daihatsu!

Good luck with the outcome. Presumably if it was to do with corrosion on the brakes, this would have now been scrubbed off with use (after the period left standing).
Regards,

Rob E
==========

rubbing noise when turning left - bell boy
i cant believa a local factor cant come up with a filter for about £8
even oddball oil filters for say a hyundai atoz are only a £5 even if you cant get to them to change them without removing the radiator cover and its seized in screws (good ole korean tin worm)