Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - jase1
From another post, thought I'd repost here as this is beginning to hack me off....

I'm not at all happy with the noisy brake pads put on by garage at the last service (4000 miles ago) -- they claim it's down to the materials on "modern" pads, but how come other cars don't suffer the same way?

Two other mechanics have found nothing wrong with the brakes, but I'm not satisfied. I'll be buying new pads and discs and replacing myself when I can be bothered. The car stops rightly enough, but the noise gets on my wick and is deeply embarrassing when I have others in the car. The sound is a mixture of a rubbery rubbing noise, metal-on-metal type scraping (both when coming to a stop, only present <5mph) and general squealing.

Is this anything to worry about, or is it just in the category of "irritant"?
I'd just like to point out as well that this noise only started when the new pads were put on -- at first I thought it was just bedding in, and indeed the noise appeared to subside for a while, but it is now back with a vengeance.
Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - bell boy
i would say they were cheap pads
i fit cheap pads on cars because i have to pay for them but they are very hit and miss depending on the vehicle they are fitted to,as an example ive fitted some pads to a skoda this week and they are atrocious £18 and a corsa £12 and even worse,the other thing i find is cheap pads sometimes need more bedding in so until they are the pedal is the pits
i would suggest you buy some quality pads check the discs and if totally serviceable leave these as is
Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - McP
I have recently replaced the brake pads on my 2000 2.0 Primera.

Mine came from Nissan and were not cheap at around £40 a set.
The car has done 85K and the disks are a bit worn but the brakes make no noise at all.
If you are also doing the rear pads, don't forget the shims.

You probably already know but a 7mm allen key is needed to do the fronts.

Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - Simon
It certainly does sound like it is the make of the pad that is at fault, especially if the old ones were okay. The garage will be reluctant to change them as they can't exactly send them back to their supplier - they aren't really faulty, just poor quality. If it is bothering you that much then I would suggest that you buy a different make of pads, ones that come from a reputable maker and pop them in instead.
Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - GregSwain
don't forget the shims.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what the garage has done with the fronts (if that model Primera has them at the front).
Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - injection doc
well rest my case, I have raised the issue of poor quality pads before & the fact that japanesse cars need japanesse parts only to be ridiculed but I bet if you get a set of pads from nissan it will be fine. You need to understand the manufacturing process & see testing carried out in laboratry conditions to see that a pad isn't just a pad!
Ask them to change the pads and offer to pay the difference but not any extra labour.
Brakes are brakes & the garage shouldn't be questioning your issue because if you were involved in an accident & you blamed the brakes & you have been back complaining they would end up with egg on there face.
Doc
Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - McP
I didn't recall any shims on the fronts and the Nissan service manual doesn't show any.

A few of the members on Primera owners club say that the Nissan OEM produce a lot of dust and recommend EBC Green Stuff.
They are a bit more expensive than Nissan.

The Nissan OEM pads are made by Lucas.
Thanks chaps -- will see about getting some genuine pads.
Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - kithmo
Try a thin coating of Copper grease on the backs of the pads, it absorbs high pitched vibrations, always worked for me on squealy pads.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
Noisy brakes -- garages say nothing wrong - dereckr
I had a similar problem on a Volvo. The worn pads were changed by a garage at service time. They didn?t fit the OE (Girling) pads but a decent quality alternative. The brakes there after squealed badly. The problem was that the new pads had a slightly different ?footprint? to the old pads and edges were rubbing on the ridges created by the old pads on the disc. The correct OE pads would have sat in the exact profile left by the old pads and would probably have been OK. New discs and pads were the eventual cure.