Best Breakdown Recovery Service - gramar
I'm currently with the AA (Roadside Relay cover for two cars) renewal this year is £119.25 which seems to be expensive compared to other deals available.
I've only called them out once and wasn't impressed with the service so may change cover this year. Which company is best?
{Shouting in subject header amended - DD}
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - NARU
I haven't had to call out a breakdown service for quite some time, but I hear good things about GEM.
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - local yokel
A friend owns a recovery company that works on contract for all the majors. He always recommends Green Flag. You can buy RAC cover with Tesco's Clubcard points.
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - v0n
GEM used to be ok, mainly because of the value - £17 to £35 a year subscriptions. Gem is nowadays just as expensive as the next company, but it's still "pay and claim" system - so you have to have financial means to fund FULL recovery costs and expenses, even if you and your family are few hundred miles away from home and you pay contracted recovery firm there and then from your own pocket and then you claim it back from GEM. For the sake of saving £10 or £20 pounds against proper roadsite recovery, unlucky Renault or Peugeot owner could go completely broke or max out his credit cards before all the cheques from GEM reached his accounts. ;)
--------------------
[ Anything I drive can and will be used against me ]
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - GregSwain
Wouldn't have a clue - I've got the cheapest AA cover, but haven't needed it in nearly 5 years on the road. Good old Nissans ;-)
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - mark830_1
I have GEM cover still, Originally on the recomendation of HJ. It is still the cheapest i believe if like me you have 2 drivers and 2 or more cars. Think I pay about £60 all in with homestart. Yes you need to have a card on you to pay. I have used them twice this year sadly, on different cars. Cheque comes through the post within 3 or 4 days. The drivers are covered in any cars which is handy.
They have always got to me within the hour. I can recommend them and till someone comes up with a cheaper plan for my situation (2 cars/drivers) will stay with them.
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - movilogo
From moneysavingexpert.com, it looks like Auto Aid is the best!

When you use their service, they send a local tow truck/mechanic to you. This truck/mechanic will charge you for the work done. You need to pay them upfront (credit card etc.).

Then you claim the money back from Auto Aid.

From the users feedback in the above said website, it seems everyone is happy with Auto Aid.
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - billy25
The only time My ole Girl broke down, I called upon the "orange" ones, I told operator type person that the Distributor had failed, and not to waste time sending a mechanic, but to send a truck, and i would sort it at home. Two hours later, a mechanic in a Transit arrives, wastes nearly an hour and three-quarters trying to repair it, before calling for a truck! which apparently arrived four hours later!. I refused to stay with the car, gave the keys to the patrol- man, and went home by train. Car home arrived at 22.30hrs!
Once home i phoned them again, but as usual you never get the same person twice, so I simply cancelled my membership, and joined a rival, whom i never needed to use.

Billy
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - james86
I called the AA a couple of years ago about a badly behaving Clio. They said that there was absolutely no chance of a patrol fixing it so asked permission to send a tow truck. The truck came two hours later with a driver that spoke no English whatsoever and took the car to the a garage, to be left outside (this was late at night).

Turns out, in the morning, that it was an ignition coil failing which is very common on that engine and all the AA vans carry those parts as standard. This apparently should have shown up on the callcentre's computer, so would have saved me a lot of bother getting to the garage in the morning and then on to work and back to collect the car that afternoon.

Wasn't at all impressed with the experience.

Have also called the AA out two more times, one for a dodgy battery on an old Fiat Cinquecento (no idea how you spell that - wasn't even my car!) and one for a keys locked in car 'incident' on my Focus. They were much better on both of these occasions.
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - fordprefect
Years ago I was in the AA, the only time I called on them they were quite useless. Then I joined RAC who were OK the one time I needed them but too expensive to cover 2 cars and 2 drivers.

I have been with Britannia for 30+ years now, wife has called them twice, once myself, never had to wait more than 20 minutes and had excellent service. Standard cover incudes vehicle and passenger recovery for about £63 I think, for about an extra £30 you get personal cover which gives the same benefits for any vehicle you (or partner) drive or travel in within the UK, even as a passenger. This gives peace of mind when your ex-student kids ferry you around in older motors :-)
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - jc2
Britannia rescue which is good value-even better if you're a Civil servant or ex C/S.(CSMA-Civil Servant Motoring Association).
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - tunacat
AFAIK, the 'pay up front and get reimbursed later' method with GEM is now an OPTION, to save money on your premium (costs £60 instead of £80, for a single member).

Another good-value provider is Europ Assistance.

Best Breakdown Recovery Service - gramar
Thank you all for your replies. I do know about GEMS and Euro Assist but didn't know of Auto Aid - Having 'genned' up now, I may give them a try this year.
I'm currently with the AA (Roadside Relay cover for two cars) renewal this year is
£119.25 which seems to be expensive compared to other deals available.

Best Breakdown Recovery Service - L'escargot
The cost has to be viewed in the light of the overal package and facilities offered. I've been with the AA for some 40 years and I've always been completely satisfied. Leaving cost out of the equation, the roadside service you get will depend on the competence of the individual employee, and all companies have some incompetent employees.
--
L\'escargot.
Best Breakdown Recovery Service - neil
"and all companies have some incompetent employees..."

Yep, but some seem to have more than others. How do I know? Dont aask!

;-)