2003 - 1.6 Tdci - Loud 'tapping' noise under load - Scott109
I bought my 2003 Focus C-Max 1.6 tdci 4wks ago. Had no real problems so far. It has covered 55,000mls and has been serviced by main dealers, but i have begun to notice a tapping/rattling noise from the engine when i put it under load/acceleration. I don't have the noise at tickover or when the engine is cold. If anything, it's when the engine gets warmer after a few miles that it becomes noticeable. I'm not sure if this is normal for a diesel engine, i had an old Astra 1.7 TD which was noisy as hell, and was hoping my 'newer' Ford would be much quieter!
I've seen on other websites people mention hydraulic tappets.
Anyone have any ideas or advice or similar experience?

Many Thanks.....

:(
s
1.6 Tdci - Loud 'tapping' noise under load - piston power
Was it serviced when you bought it? worth while making sure the correct oil is fitted & replace with genuine motorcraft oil filter, maybe worth while taking it back ask them to make sure all is ok or take to another ford garage. good luck..
1.6 Tdci - Loud 'tapping' noise under load - Scott109
He told me had done an oil & filter change, although i am of the thinking it might have been with a cheap non branded oil.
It's funny how the noise is not there from cold/startup at tickover or under acceleration, but appears when the engine gets warm, and perhaps the oil has 'thinned' out ?
I'm going to pay to have a major service done at my local Ford dealership, hopefully it may reduce it somewhat.
Thanks...
2003 - 1.6 Tdci - Loud 'tapping' noise under load - Screwloose
Scott

It might be an idea to take it back to where you bought it - on an HDi this could be nasty and the reason it was sold.
Oh no, you're kidding? What would be your best guess then screwloose as to why/what it may be?
I was of the thinkning it was noisy tappets? And perhaps a poor/wrong grade of oil.
I thought the TDCi engines were pretty robust if serviced properly by a main dealership.
I know it's hard to diagnose a problem just from a few words i have used to describe it, if you are saying it could be serious/terminal, what would you say it points to ? It's a 'light' tapping noise , not a deep grumble or knoicking noise.
???
Scott

This could be a fuelling fault causing diesel knock - it's pretty common on these units.

Why not let the sellers fix it - not your problem.
oh right ok.
Trouble is i bought it seconhand, but not from a Ford dealership, more of a high street dealer, seemed a good setup not a backstreet cowboy.
I have a 3 mnth warranty, but think i'd have trouble getting him to acknowledge it may have a fuelling fault, ....i'll certainly try though!.

Do you think it would show up a fault code on a diagnostic machine at a Ford Service Centre? I could then take that as proof i guess.

Would it be lack of fuel getting to the engine ? Or even the injectors blocked? It runs fine, accelerates okay and no loss of power or misfire etc etc. I don't know if the fuel filter (if there is one) has been changed? Or if the ECU software has been updated, i'd heard that this can/has been done on CMax of others who have had problems of various types.

Appreiciate your help and words of Advice though Screwloose..... :)
Scott

Forget the warranty; you are covered by "presumption of pre-existence" in the Sale of Goods Act for 6 months. There must be a link to that somewhere?

This could be a number of things and there's not enough detail to say for sure; but worn injectors is top of the list.

That's not a minor fault - these are HDi electronic injectors and can only really be replaced with new ones - haven't priced them from Ford, but PSA would want £300 each.

Checking that the auxiliary drive belt pulley isn't coming apart would be worthwhile; though I've never seen one go on a Focus - yet.
okay, i'll look that up and find that link.
I've been reading on the internet about the EGR valve being notorious for failing and causing problems, but like i've said, mine starts 1st time, tickover fine no tremors or stutter, no stalling or lack of power. Just a 'tapping' noise that increase as the load/speed increases. You can't hear it when the engine is cold, but most noticable when the engine is warmer. I may have to book it into Fords to get a diagnostic perhaps before i can go to the seller to get some action.
Luckily i have afriend who works for Fords at thier Dunton Research Centre, so will have to 'tap' him up for some info/action.
Again...many thanks Screwloose, i'll let you know any news!

Rgds,

Scott.
Scott

I've heard that EGRs can rattle - but I've never heard an EGR rattle on one.

Does this rattle suddenly cut off when you reach around 3500 revs?
Scott

Knew there was a link somewhere. Click the FAQs button above and select "Consumer rights."
nice one thanks.

No, sorry, what i meant was the EGR valve failing, causing problems with fueling etc etc, and rattling.

Its' kind of strange, the tapping seems to be there right through the rev range, but i do get another 'rattle' that comes and goes alongside it, sometimes at low revs but mainly higher up the rev range.It sounds like a chain sort of rattle/vibration if that makes sense, but then i'm not a mechanic!! lol....

I had none of this when i 1st inspected the car, and took it for a test drive, all was okay. And in the first few weeks of owning it, didn't notice. It's only just appeared in the last week i'd say.
Sorry i meant problems with fuelling and NOT rattling....
Scott

The typical worn injector "rattle under load" starts around 2000 and ceases around 3500.

It's caused by abnormal wear inside the very sophisticated injectors [often after misfuelling or a HP pump issue] that upsets the critical internal pressure balance causing excessive pre-injection.

As pre-injection ceases at 3500; then you may have a mechanical fault; cam; followers; bottom pulley, or even a mounting issue.

Having it checked by a dealer is a good plan.
Screwloose, it's strange but the tapping noise has completely gone (for the moment anyway) but i do still have the rattle that comes in around 1800rpm up until aroun 3000rpm then goes (on and off like). I would assume this is a definate case of worn injectors then? I'm not sure if to push the seller to get it done(if he actually would do anything anyway) or pay out myself and get Ford to do it? Or just live with it for a year or so and part ex it against something else? What do you think..?

Ask the seller to have it done; even if they refuse, at least the existence of the fault was logged.