98 1.6 Non-starter - Ronaldo
My daughter has a 1998 1.6sx which refuses to start - was going OK, but now isn't. Starter motor turns, camshafts move (so timing belt intact), checked HT leads for spark, disconnected fuel line, and petrol P's out when engine turns so pump etc OK (and yes it's petrol). Could it be the immobiliser cutting something else out that I haven't checked? If so how can I check? Any help appreciated.
s
98 1.6 Non-starter - Screwloose

Pull out a plug and see what's on the tip.
98 1.6 Non-starter - Dynamic Dave
Could it be the immobiliser cutting something else out that I haven't checked? If so how can I check?

I guesing it will be the same as a Vauxhall. If the immobiliser is causing the problem, then the ECU light will flash when the key is turned.
98 1.6 Non-starter - Ronaldo
Tried the car again this morning, and guess what? Yep, first time and every time since. The only thing I notice is that today, the immobiliser red led went OFF (i.e. unlit) when I turned the ignition key, yesterday it stayed on, plus, before I started the car I noticed the led was flashing ON and OFF, whereas yesterday it appeared to be flashing ON and DIM (i.e. not totally unlit). Do immobiliser systems suffer from intermittent faults, or are they always working or not working? Given that it's pouring with rain today, could it be a dodgy earth that's 'fixed' itself. Anybody out there know where the immobiliser is situated in this car?

I'm unhappy at giving the car back to my daughter having not corrected the fault since it's bound to re-occur, and probably at some unGodly hour, miles away from anywhere, and guess who she'll call!