Noisy air con - JustMike
Hello fellow swarfega users,

In an effort to please my better half I bought her a low mileage c max which she likes. The air con comes on every time the car is started up -Fords way of making sure the system doesnt fail through lack of use I suppose. There is a whining noise as though the compressor has a dry bearing but this disappears when you switch off the air con.

It also sometimes makes a groaning noise from the steering - worst on full lock- as though the belt needs a squirt of WD .

I dont think these two problems are connected but would appreciate any advice. Can I lubricate anything or shall I do what I do in my old Volvo - turn up the volume on the radio.

Thanks,,
Mike
Noisy air con - elekie&a/c doctor
The noise from the a/c compressor seems to be a problem on C-max models.I have seen a few with it.May be an idea to give Ford a call,could be a known fault/issue.As for the pas ,this is electric/hydraulic system driven by a pump in the o/s/f wing below headlight and is not belt driven.The groaning noise may be normal.hth
Noisy air con - Chris M
"The air con comes on every time the car is started up"

On mine, it's only if the ventilation direction control is set to the windscreen (defrost).
Noisy air con - AndyT
"The air con comes on every time the car is started up"
On mine it's only if the ventilation direction control is set to the windscreen (defrost).

My '02 Focus has that same setup, you can hear a little microswitch click as it points at the windscreen setting. Although I have now disconnected the wires from the rear of said switch.
Noisy air con - Armitage Shanks {p}
Would WD40 be a good idea on a belt? Surely it would lubricate it and make it slip even more - assuming the original noise was caused by slipping.
Noisy air con - Dynamic Dave
Would WD40 be a good idea on a belt?

It never did any harm to the alternator belts of previous cars I've owned where the belt made 'whispy' type noises.
Noisy air con - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yes - I have used it on an alternator, to cure squeaks from within, but why would a belt squeak if it wasn't slipping? Whatever, if it fixes that's good - never mind the science!
Noisy air con - Ravenger
Groaning noise on steering could be worn steering/suspension bushes. It's a known problem on the C-Max and Focus. My C-Max had some suspension/steering parts changed under warrantly recently to fix that problem.