Quick estate & m.p.g - egor
I've currently got a mazda bongo which i use for short trips to teach dog training and weekend trips on the motorway but the m.p.g is killing me 25 around town and 30 if im steady on the motorway do 70-80 and it drops well into the 20's.
Im thinking of selling/trading it and getting a large estate such as:
Bmw 528/530
Merc c240/250 e230/320
Volvo t5
Subaru legacy
Mitsubishi vr4
the 2 jap options seem good value for money(imports) and i import garage will hopefully be more intrested in the bongo, but the main thing is the estates m.p.g?
Quick estate & m.p.g - Nsar
What's your annual mileage?
Quick estate & m.p.g - egor
About 12,000 a year.
Quick estate & m.p.g - bell boy
i would do 65 on the motorway and expect a better mpg,to be fair to bongo its a good vehicle and if you get rid you will miss it.
Quick estate & m.p.g - Nsar
At that kind of mileage mpg isn't really a big factor in your calcs. The effect of depreciation, insurance and reliability needs to be much higher in your priorities.

If petrol is £4 a gallon a car that returns 30mpg gives you fuel costs of £1600pa. A car that returns 35mpg gives you fuel costs of £1371 - a saving of £229 - or about 4 tankfulls in most decent size cars.

Quick estate & m.p.g - Vansboy
Keep your Bongo!

My Omega 2.5CDX (not on your list) can manage early thirties at a gentle push, but is usually 25-27, so your selection might not save you much!

VB
Quick estate & m.p.g - oldtoffee
I have a 2007 3.0R Legacy Sports Tourer - it's different to the mainstream which appealed to me but don't buy one to save on fuel would be my advice! I've averaged 27mpg over the first 3,000 miles mainly long quick runs so once I start using more revs I expect 25mpg will be a bonus. The car is a great drive, fast with very secure handling and well specced but it isn't a big load lugger, closer in size IMO to the Audi A4 or BMW 3 series estates than Omega, Mondeo size.
Quick estate & m.p.g - boxsterboy
None of the alternatives will be any more economical. The only way to square that circle would be a diesel with at least 5 cylinders under the bonnet. My E320 CDI could do 45mpg at a stretch, but was also quick when needed. Worst consumption I ever got was late 20s around town. A BMW 335d or 535d would be the ultimate for speed/economy.
Quick estate & m.p.g - nick62
I have a 2007 3.0R Legacy Sports Tourer -

Would you buy another one?

I have a 2.0R tourer and am really warming to it, but I fancy a spec. B because I miss the torque (after having diesels for the last 12 years.)

The roadholding is fantastic though.
Quick estate & m.p.g - MichaelR
Im thinking of selling/trading it and getting a large estate such as:
Bmw 528/530

Forget that then, struggle to get better than 20-22mpg around town from one of those.
Quick estate & m.p.g - davros
I have a 04 Legacy 2.5 Auto. On long runs (mix of A roads and motorways making 'brisk' progress, I'll get 32mpg). In and out of our nearest town on very poor roads (I live in North Norfork) I can struggle to get 25mpg.

A fill-up today cost £54. So not exactly cheap motoring on the face of it, but being a Suburu I wouldn't expect any other outlay other than routine servicing for several more years.

On a trip to France last week I covered 1700 miles (to Burgundy, around and back) at an average of 29.7 mpg (that's according to the computer). On French M-ways at a steady 84 mph it was recording 31 mpg.

I have a friend with a 2.5 manual Outback who swears he gets 34 mpg on the Norfolk-London run and another with a 3-litre Spec B who rarrely manages over 23mpg, but then he uses it to its full potential, if you catch my drift.

As others have / will doubtless point out, fuel consumption is far from being the major factor in overall running costs.

Davros
Quick estate & m.p.g - Nickdm
As boxsterboy says above, you need a 5- or 6-cylinder diesel. How about Volvo D5 instead of T5? Or Merc C220 or even C270 CDI?
Quick estate & m.p.g - oldtoffee
in reply to nick62 > Would you buy another one?

Never bought or run the same car twice so unlikely. Notwithstanding that, I think, given the same amount to spend, I'll be pushed to better it when change time comes around. The car (spec B auto) is only 3 weeks old but the engine is already sublime and "SID" (Subaru Intelligent Drive) works well with the auto box. In Sport Sharp mode and with the paddle shifts the throttle response is instant and it will rev to the red line unless you back off. You asked about torque, it has plenty but it still needs revs - up to 3,000 it is quick and from there to 6,000 it just leaps away but not at all diesel like in its delivery which I like. I had a 2 litre manual loan car for a day (when mine had its 1,000 mile service) and that had to be revved much harder to extract the performance.