Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - oilrag
I had a 3 year guarantee with the Halfords battery , but it started to struggle cold cranking our big old indirection diesel after only 17 months. ( correct battery and selected by Halfords themselves on purchase)
The Halfords staff suggested the glow plugs or a fault in the starter and tested it with a hand held device about the size of a 24 pack of weetabix.
Told me the test showed the battery was fine and not failing,it "couldnt be changed, as good batteries had been sent back before ".

So no replacement under the Halfords battery guarantee :(

But I wondered, can a battery tester that size really simulate the requirements of cold cranking a 1.9 indirect injection diesel with the glowplugs lit, on a cold morning?

I had to fit a new battery from a different source and there is no comparison on cold starts. No more weakly cranking with an obvious decline in cranking speed. It now fires up instantly the glow plug light goes out.

Just posting out of interest re the testing tool really and have no issue with Halfords, Just the nuisance of a wasted few hours tempered by the relief of getting a good new battery on.

I have never trusted warranty / guarantee on anything, so no surprises there........ :)

Regards
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - Galaxy
Sounds to me that you were very unlucky.

I bought a battery from Halfords a few years ago for my father's Fiesta which had a four year guarantee. After about a year it wouldn't start the car anymore, so I took it out to charge it, but it was still no better.

I then dug out the receipt and took it back to Halfords. The girl on the till just told me to go over and get another one! They didn't test it or anything, all they were interested in was seeing the receipt.

In view of the fact that a new batery purchased from another source cured your starting problem, I think I would be inclined to visit Halfords yet again, explain what you have done, and then ask for a full refund for the battery that you purchased from them 17 months ago which has clearly now failed, and they refused to exchange for you.

I think you've been fobbed off!
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - GregSwain
Having compared the prices of Halfords batteries to those at my local factors, I'll be going to the local factors when mine conks out. Having said that, have only had good experiences of Halfords batteries (and other Halfords-branded products) in the past. Keep pushing, maybe try a different branch of Halfords - it's amazing what a difference there can be between 2 branches of the same company ;-)
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - bell boy
ive had to buy a battery this week and was shocked how much prices have gone up across all my suppliers
best deal?
eurocarparts
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - Clk Sec

I have little doubt that an exchange / refund will be obtained if you contact Halfords Quality Manager.

I think you?ve been unlucky - their batteries are normally of very good quality.

Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - Dynamic Dave
I take it all the earth connections and battery terminal connections are in good order?
The Halfords battery is down at the tip now,amongst a pile of others that look much older .. Yes I do feel as though I was fobbed off.. A lost customer for their `own brand` of everything they stock now.

To be honest, I just couldnt bother to contest the battery, it was more important to get another one on the same day. And if the Halfords battery only lasted 17 months, I was not really all that bothered about having another one of the same quality back on the car, even if a `free` replacement.

Free in cost financially, but not `hassle` free. The latters more important to me.

Original battery lasted 4 years
Halfords battery lasted17 months

It was that small testing apparatus I was interested in though, could that really test the current draw of a big diesel on cold start? The Halfords staff also told me the alternator was fine and its output ( which I forget).
I was very impressed with that as the engine was not running at the time.

Its the time wasted and principle of the thing really....

Edited by Webmaster on 02/05/2008 at 21:00

"I take it all the earth connections and battery terminal connections are in good order?"

Yes, Its a very well looked after car, do all my own servicing on it.
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - martint123
I wonder if that "magic box" of his had a secret switch on it.

Position A - Sorry Sir there's nothing wrong with the battery you bought from us.
Position B - Sorry Sir, your battery is (insert word for faulty) would you like to buy another one?
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - gordonbennet
I would like you be a bit annoyed oilrag and funnily enough i would probably have done the same as you, wonder if halfords and others realise how far reaching the consequences of good or bad service can be in the age of t'internet. How many hundreds of potential customers will read your thread and vote with their feet.

Batteries are one of the most important items on a diesel as you well know and i always buy the best i can afford usually Bosch, Varta, Yuasa to name a few, in fact when i replaced the batt on my petrol Merc coupe a few weeks ago i measured up the space and low and behold manged to fit the diesel Bosch battery for the equivilent merc diesel in. Wouldn't believe how quickly it now turns over and how instantly it fires up i would imagine less strain on starter etc cos faster fire up..any comments?

Do like me connect another battery to the car to keep power to the ecu during battery changeover?

Martini, i too wonder sometimes if we are told what they want us to hear (bit like politicians)

ttfn
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - jc2
Most petrol battery boxes do have space for a bigger battery because they use the same bodyshell on autos and diesels as well as manual petrols.
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - henry k
>>...i replaced the batt on my petrol Merc coupe a few weeks ago i measured up the space and low and behold manged to fit the diesel Bosch battery...
>>i would imagine less strain on starter etc cos faster fire up..any comments?

IIRC It is not a good idea to fit too large a battery as it creates a problem with the charging.

I was surprised to read that I need a specific type of battery for my 2.0l 98 Mondeo.
(IIRC it was on the Bosch site.)
This is due to changes in the charging system.
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - tr7v8
IIRC It is not a good idea to fit too large a battery as it
creates a problem with the charging.

The alternator will within reason charge how ever big a battery it's given.
I was surprised to read that I need a specific type of battery for my
2.0l 98 Mondeo.
(IIRC it was on the Bosch site.)
This is due to changes in the charging system.

True, lots of modern cars are designed around Calcium batteries with specific charge parameters & interact with the engine ECU, Mondeo was one of the first.
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - henry k
Info for Ford Vehicles

www.boschautoparts.co.uk/pcBatt12.asp?c=2&d=1
"Do like me connect another battery to the car to keep power to the ecu during battery changeover?"

Hi Gordonbennet, No it doesn`t seem to bother it.

Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - Hugo {P}
When I changed my battery under warranty last they couldn't find the tester so they just swapped it.
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - Hugo {P}
The Halfords battery is down at the tip now amongst a pile of others that
look much older ...........

Despite your having chucked it out, I would still write to the CEO of Halfords and explain your disgust. You may get some vouchers and an apology. In case you want to buy some overpriced windscreen wipers or something....

Edited by Webmaster on 02/05/2008 at 21:00

In case you want to buy some overpriced windscreen wipers or something....

I'd rather pay £7 per wiper blade at Halfords than fit the £1.99 rubbish my local factor sells.
i will have you know my factor does cracking blades at 99 pence each, i even use them on my own cars
im the worlds worst for cleaning screens, takes me back to the year donk when washer bottles held a quart and what was there was needed when one was on the old great north road
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - Lud
i will have you know my factor does cracking blades at 99 pence each i
even use them on my own cars
im the worlds worst for cleaning screens takes me back to the year donk when
washer bottles held a quart and what was there was needed when one was on
the old great north road

Ah bb tis you that's the reel focken poet bejasus.

donk, quart, great north road, up there in your place, goodness, I'm envious at least part of the time.

Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - jc2
I'd rather have blades that aren't cracked!!!
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - martint123
takes me back to the year donk when washer bottles held a quart

Nah - takes me back to the day before compulsory washers - carried an old Squeezy bottle and squirted it out of the drivers window.
i will have you know my factor does cracking blades at 99 pence each i

That's what my factor said about their £1.99 blades... "oh they're just as good as Valeo ones". They're not. They're cheap plastic, they squeak and scrape, and they crack within a year. Great north road eh? I live just off the A167, as it's now called ;-)
Halfords battery guarantee / warranty - normd2
as others have high-jacked this thread so will I :)
I bought a pair of wipers last year for £1.99 from a well known German discount store and have had no problems whatsoever.
GregSwain they come from pages and are in the drivemaster range, i can assure they are NOT plastic rubbish :-) but are all galvanised metal construction with stainless pins and a plethora of fittings, i do agree i wouldnt buy those plastic trailer trash ones either (boot sale fodder )