best new car for 5 K - retgwte
the missus is about to (hopefully) pass her test

so if you had a circa 5 K budget for a new car what would you buy and why? or 4 K up for a pre reg?

ideally group 1 or 2 insurance

ideally black paint in the cost

ideally a CD player

so its Ford KA or Fiat Panda or what?

Any better ideas?
best new car for 5 K - Bill Payer
How many miles per year?

If it's a low number, I think I'd be very tempted by Citroen's £99/mth PCP deal on the C1.
best new car for 5 K - rtj70
Not many news cars for 5k I'd have though. And do you want the depreciation anyway. Go for nearly new.

Do not go for black as they show all the scratches and dirt.
what is the " Citroen's £99/mth PCP deal on the C1" ? how many miles does it allow? is it negotiable?
best new car for 5 K - J Bonington Jagworth
Perodua?
yea which Perodua though? arnt they a bit underpowered at that price? where as Ka or Panda would have more poke?

best new car for 5 K - J Bonington Jagworth
"yea which Perodua though?"

Well, you recommended a Perodua Myvi (assuming that's not an ice-cream) for Hugo's niece, but I don't think it's £5k. Does it have to be new?
best new car for 5 K - P3t3r
You won't have much of a choice at that price. A Panda or KA would probably be the best option.

If you get a Panda you will probably be looking at the basic '1.1 Active'. Stretch the budget by another few hundred and you should be able to get the 1.2 Dynamic which not only has a better engine, but also lots of extras if I remember correctly.

KA's are fun to drive, but they tend to rust far to early. It may be a struggle to get it down to £5000 though.
best new car for 5 K - Leif
KA's are fun to drive but they tend to rust far to early. It may
be a struggle to get it down to £5000 though.

What is early in terms of years? Mine is 5 and a half years old (70K miles) and I am keeping it until it starts showing signs of age.
best new car for 5 K - rtj70
Saw one of a few years old outside local Tesco yesterday. Severe rust around/on rear wheel arches. Shocking really. Then again my Mondeo on a 53 plate is rusting too.... roll on it's replacement.
A CD player can be had for £100 from Halfords etc.

A new Ford KA can be had for that sort of money if you search, at least according to Mr. Money in the Saturday Telegraph a few weeks back. The Telegraph web site might have the article. They tend to do them at certain times of year, presumably due to dealers trying to meet sales targets before a deadline. The KA is cheap to service, okay build, decent to drive, and not bad at all. Used examples seem to go for silly prices compared to new. Mr. Money (Mike Rutherford) mentioned other well priced small cars too.

Places like Trade Sales of Slough do decent deals on nearly new and new apparently.
best new car for 5 K - Lou_O

I wouldn't buy a Ka new.

We have one, bought from friends who take care of their cars, it's an 01 on a Y plate with about 50k on and I can't see, other than the warranty how it's different to an 07, except we paid less than £1500 for it.

It's a simple car that hasn't changed much since it was launched, buy used and put the rest towards the more important things in life.

Cheers,

L
essex ford will do a new ka for 5000 no hassle, would be nice to get next model up (which comes with cd and elec windows) and colour choice for same, wonder if this is in haggle range? (its only supposed to be 200 quid (ish) difference)

honest john is listing base pandas for sub 5000 again wonder if colour choice can be haggled into this price

vauxhall agila 1.0 can be had for 5000 new, rejected cos its too slow

perodua would be a good option, will look at the cheaper models as i only know the myvi and its too much money

wonder if any pre-regs are around for 4500 ish?

decisions eh

best new car for 5 K - P3t3r
essex ford will do a new ka for 5000 no hassle would be nice to
get next model up (which comes with cd and elec windows) and colour choice for
same wonder if this is in haggle range? (its only supposed to be 200 quid
(ish) difference)

Really, is that without finance etc? I know you can get them for that price with finance, but you pay something like an additional £1000 for the finance. I know somebody who got a KA at a supermarket for just over £5000 years ago, but they went up after that, I don't know whether they've come down again?
I wouldn't buy a Ka new.
We have one bought from friends who take care of their cars it's an 01
on a Y plate with about 50k on and I can't see other than the
warranty how it's different to an 07 except we paid less than £1500 for it.

An older car is more of a gamble. I had a 5 year old Nissan Micra which had some expensive issues after 4 years, including under body welding, and a failed major component in the engine. Buy new and you get new tyres, new brakes, new engine (with better miles per gallon), new frame, and so on, and you get the 3 year warranty. So servicing is much cheaper, and there is the peace of mind. And I know that it has not been thrashed, has been regularly serviced, and is driven on long long journeys each week to keep the engine in good shape.

I suppose if you know what to look for, then used can make sense. I see a lot of old KAs around, so they seem to be pretty long lasting. You paid about £1500 for a 6 year old car, compared to £5K new. So that is about £3.5K cheaper for 6 years less life, or about £600 per year. So if you keep yours for more than 3 years, and do not face high servicing costs, then you are doing better than new. But if your servicing costs mount up, or the KA dies, then it might not be cheaper.

It's a simple car that hasn't changed much since it was launched buy used and
put the rest towards the more important things in life.

I do agree that spending large amounts on a car is pointless unless you are well off. Oh to be the drummer of Pink Floyd.
best new car for 5 K - Lou_O
I suppose if you know what to look for then used can make sense. I
see a lot of old KAs around so they seem to be pretty long lasting.

SNIPQUOTE!

I know that the previous owner (who bought the car new) looked after it.

We have a good local independent (listed here on HJ under the good guys section) who service it properly and give me plenty of peace of mind.

I like the car and don't really see that a more recent one can do much more, warranty aside, for the extra cash.

Cheers,

L

best new car for 5 K - Chris White
Not sure where you're based but Lythgoe (based in Bolton) have got a 56reg Fiat Panda 1.2 Dynamic with only 10 miles on the clock, in black, with CD player for £5k - tinyurl.com/2k96df

Or for £4k how about a 2004 04reg Fiat Panda 1.2 Dynamic with only 11k miles on the clock, in black, with CD player - tinyurl.com/2qehfn

And only insurance group 2
best new car for 5 K - daveyK_UK
hyundai Amica Gsi or Atlantic.

5 doors, air con, cd player, central locking.
£5000k - and more importantly 5 year warranty. No worries for 5 year. thats fantastic value.

i reckon if u research you could pick up a
dahatsui charade 1.0 for £5,000.
amazing mpg, very spacious, super reliability and lots of toyota parts.

The best buy would be a used daihatsu sirion 1.0.
I cant believe how good value these cars really are.
you wont get one new for less than £6500 (most are going for list price as their is still a waiting list for the 1.0).
I no someone who is selling theres on a 56 plate with 13k mileage for £5500.
Cracking buy IMO.

best new car for 5 K - PeterRed
I'm thinking of changing my Passat for something small & economical. I took a look at a Panda today because I'm quite impressed with the economy of the multijet version but it's very small inside. I'm also a bit worried about buying a Fiat based upon past experience - particularly one with a CR engine. I then had a close look at a Sirion. Loads of space inside - it would easily seat 4 adults comfortably. It's full of nice little touches too. I'm sorely tempted.
best new car for 5 K - daveyK_UK
the sirion is great.
we took 2 loads of 5 of our staff and familys from manchester to Redditch hastle free, cruising at 80mph doing just under 50mpg.

You just cant fault it for the money.

cracking car.