Williams - revs high only on full throttle - Vinnychoff
I have a renault clio with a williams engine.
On normal drive the car behaves ok. On full throttle the car keeps reving after release. 2/3 k. if i switch the engine off then back on. Its ok and returns to normal tick over. Also using a lot of petrol. single figures.

Have checked the cable and linkage. All seems ok. Checked the tps although all i have access to is a fluke meter.
From red to green. the meter showed over 2000 ohms. but replaced the tps with a sechand hand one but found the same values??

any suggestions where next to go?
or am i looking in the wrong direction?

i found the tps settings should be

red - yellow 5.78kohms
red - green 2.01kohms
yellow - green 4.27kohms
s

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/12/2007 at 19:51

Clio williams revs high only on full throttle - Screwloose

Check the coolant temp sensor.
Clio williams revs high only on full throttle - Vinnychoff
Do you mean the sensor in the radiator (which I have replaced)??

That's the fan switch.
Clio williams revs high only on full throttle - adverse camber
do these have throttle body issues?
ac

Seeing that the OP hasn't seen fit to provide the engine code, or even the year - that's an unanswerable question.
Clio williams revs high only on full throttle - adverse camber
fair enough - i know nothing about them, I assumed that all the williams had the same ?

my appologies. the car is a 16v williams l reg but is fitted with a renault clio williams engine that has been modified. the engine code starts with F7R-700
it is fitted with fuel injection and i was hoping for some ideas to research. or if someone else has had a similair fault.
Vince
Vince

That's more like it.

An F7R has the coolant sensor at the back of the head behind the throttle unit. It should read around 340 ohms @ 80C.
thanks i will try to check asap and feed back.
Vince
just managed to check the temp sensor. when the car guage shows normal temp. it is 380 ohms as you said. is there a way i can check the tps? could that be faulty?
Vinny
Vince

Your TPS readings seem in spec; although there is always the possibility of a wiring issue affecting it's signal path to the ECU.

The fact that it clears with just restarting, suggests that the idle control valve is staying in the running position; either because the throttle sticks and doesn't go fully to idle on the TPS; or there's an idle valve [or can-pur valve?] fault.
Clio williams revs high only on full throttle - Elite Gyver
Your idle problem is exactly the same as mine its when you hit over 4000 revs then when I stop the engine and restart it runs at normal idle speed again very strange. I sent the ECU away and it come back showing no faults I have reconditioned the throttle body and no luck. Been told it could be the lamba sensor but have not replaced it yet. You might find that your emmitions will be too high to pass a mot too. If you have solved your problem then could you let me know what you did.
Clio williams revs high only on full throttle - vivaro
Im guessing you did A full engine swap ie williams ecu, injection etc
No I have a clio williams. I also forgot to mention I can sit in neutral reving it till the pistons come out the top and it will drop down to normal idle speed. Then when the engine is under load i.e im in gear if I just go a fraction over 4000 revs it will idle eratic at about 1.500 almost as if the engine thinks the choke should be on.
I still havnt got to the bottom of my idle problem, can some1 help! Is there a way to cheak my idle controll vavle is working properly, could it be my ECU. I had it in Renault dealers and come back as no sensor faults. HELP!!!