Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - oilrag
With due apologies for touching on this topic before,I have cut another fuel filter open for examination.

I have suspected for a long time that diesel fuel filters have an easy life using normal pump fuel. Drained and `opened` the canister type fom one car at the service yesterday, it was clean inside and not one drop of water. Wish I had the equipment to measure the flow and back pressure in one, at new and then at extended mileages.
Funny what you develop an interest in ;=) But I last did this about 12 years ago with a Prima in a Maestro and the result was the same.

But has anyone seen a Derv filter run up to an extended mileage without being touched? I actually felt I had gained nothing from the change and that I might as well have left it alone. This one was 50% past its specified change interval based on the empirical evidence of the last 15 years servicing the family diesels.
The way I see it is that the filter medium would gradually become more efficient as the mileage increased and as for water, have found less than half a teaspoon in around 400,000 cumulative mileage in the family fleet.

Regards

NB
I change the *oil* filters at half the normal interval and this is just debate really. I have no serious intention of leaving the Derv filters..but. fact is, they really are VERY clean when you cut one open.
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - gordonbennet
Hi Oilrag, i too have cut open fuel filters before and sometimes found them absolutely filthy, i reckon a lot depends on how clean the garage tanks are or lucky? you are when you fill up. I note that you are going to change them anyway similar with your oil filter, sounds a bit like my idea of sevicing which is 'oil and filters are cheap and easy, engines and fuel systems are not'.

Funnily enough we have just bought a new diesel toyota and the fuel filter doesn't feature on the service schedule apart from draining water off, i personally don't agree with that and it will be getting a new one periodically, but what the devil is the thinking behind that?

Years ago i drove trucks for i would say the best maintained fleet in Northants his servicing was meticulous (he didn't believe in all the hype about high mileage oils either) and when he sold his tractor units at 5 to 7 years old owner drivers were queuing up to buy them, mind you he was a gentleman also of his word and behaviour and it always helps, but he always said how cheap good servicing was compared to breakdown and downtime, and i learned much from him

Some diesel cars (do all?) have a pick up strainer in the tank and i know the Merc ones get very gunged up at this first line of defence, also i bet you dont let your fuel level get too low before topping up so your not getting the floaters coming up?

To your main question yes we probably change fuel filters too often but i for one will continue.
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - DP
A genuine Ford/Motorcraft diesel filter for the Mondeo is £2.75 including the VAT, and takes 5 mins to change. I do it at every service as a matter of course. At this money it's daft not to.

I've never cut it open and checked the condition though.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - 659FBE
Some valid points have been made above and of course, the change interval for a fuel filter of given dirt capacity will depend on the amount of fuel which has passed through it and the amount of dirt in that fuel.

Vehicle builders generally try to produce one power unit for most markets and in some of these, fuel is not clean and not free from water. A maintenance scedule has to accomodate the worst case. The oil suppliers in the UK have, in my view done an excellent job as far as the supply of clean fuel is concerned and appreciable contamination is now very rare, despite the protestations of the Ford Motor Company in times of (their) difficulty.

The need to check the tank strainer has been pointed out and this is very valid - it's hardly ever mentioned let alone done.

My summary for a long and quet life with diesels:

Drain the water trap at every service.
Use only OE or Bosch fuel filters.
Never ever use cheap filters - there's a lot at stake.
Clean the tank strainer every 80k miles in the UK.
Carry out all maintenance immediately if contamination is suspected.

"Funnily enough we have just bought a new diesel toyota and the fuel filter doesn't feature on the service schedule apart from draining water off, i personally don't agree with that and it will be getting a new one periodically, but what the devil is the thinking behind that?"

Maybe the risk of getting contamination into the fuel line/new filter outlet? I look at the plastic Derv filter housing on one of our Fiats and really wonder about that. The canister type with the 3 pipes coming off the top on the other Fiat ( the one I`m opened ) is easy to avoid contamination.

But the other, It has to be taken off the car and put in a vice to open the lid and then insert the new element.
When I look at it in the engine bay covered in typical road contamination/atmospheric quartz particles, I really think some micro level of contamination is almost inevitable when opened, even if cleaned off before opening.
As for garages would they really do that? and change their rubber gloves befor handling the new element? Even with a will, surely time precludes it?

Has the Toyota got this type of Filter?
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - 659FBE
Some filter designs are clearly lacking with regard to the possibility of introducing contamination when changing the element - or the unit if so designed.

The PSA unit fitted to the HDi diesels has to be the worst with a paper element in a plastic housing. If the housing is not drained before the element is changed, all the muck goes into the pump. The housing on this design is of questionable rigidity. The traditional filter design with a fixed filter head at the top and a removable bowl is not bad, as is the more normal spin-on type. The "cans with pipe connections" (VAG and a few others) are also OK if carefully handled.

The average garage mechanic is generally clueless with regard to contamination avoidance in general and diesel fuel system cleanliness in particular. Unlike VAG, who cannot design or document anything suitable for maintenance outside its country of origin where procedures sre strictly followed, Toyota have a logical and practical approach.

I think in many ways, this has contributed significantly to their well deserved reputation for good reliability - their products are garage trade resistant.

"The PSA unit fitted to the HDi diesels has to be the worst with a paper element in a plastic housing."

That sounds just like the filter on my Fiat multijet. The change interval is 36,000 miles and I`m tempted to let it go double that and then buy a new plastic filter housing, wash and dry that in the sink and then assemble it in clean conditions indoors with a new element:):)

`Tempted` that is :) Its a big leap to actually doing it ....

Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - njgleeds
"The PSA unit fitted to the HDi diesels has to be the worst with a paper element in a plastic housing."

When servicing my 406 taxi, I remove the entire filter assembly from the car before opening it up and removing the paper element.
I then clean the plastic housing thoroughly in the kitchen sink while the wifes not about before inserting a new element and refitting the complete unit to the car.....
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - Screwloose

NEVER attempt to change the element in HDi filter housings. [That's why they won't open unless in a vice - take the hint.]

Always buy a complete new filter/housing assembly; remove the quick-release connectors; unplug sensor [early ones;] lift out housing; drop in new one; refit connectors etc.

Even the slightest contamination will trash the HP pump and the nozzles on the injectors will block with anything bigger than 2 microns. [That's smaller than my eyes can even see - two millionth's of a metre.]

That's why they were designed with throwaway filter housings.
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - David Horn
Never changed it in 8 years in the 1.9TD XUD lump in the Xsara, couldn't see the point.
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - GregSwain
Never changed it in 8 years in the 1.9TD XUD lump in the Xsara couldn't
see the point.

The XUD ones are easy, and the elements cost a couple of quid. No risk of contamination unlike CR diesels. Generally speaking, whether we're talking about petrol or diesel filters, I'd rather change it too often than not often enough ;-)

David, what mileage has it covered on the same filter?

Screwloose, Do you think these filters are best just left until ( if ever) flow reduces and cuts performance.
Also,
What happens to the low pressure pump supplying its constant flow? Is there a risk of burning it out if flow decreases at the filter?

Does anyone think Toyota have got it right in not specifying a change interval, thereby eliminating the possiblity of contamination during a filter change?

Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - gordonbennet
Rightho oilrag, i've just had alook at the toyo filter haven't disturbed it mind, it looks like the filter is housed in a plastic bowl and the top has all the pipework incl the water sensor (i think) which is fastened to the bottom by a large collar which unscrews. I havent disturbed it cos i am hoping to buy the genuine toyo manual (had one for my old landcruiser both book and car superb) and double check but it looks like a pretty clean job. Famous last words?

I suppose some of us like minded owners overservice our cars.

Am i the only one who swears by and uses millers fuel additives (ever since the reduction in sulphur in derv especially) ?
Thanks Gordon bennet, You could be describing the filter set up on My Fiat Multijet.
I dont use any additive in this common rail job,Just major brand fuel such as Shell.
I`m not really bothered about "V power or "ultimate" either. Remembering the shell additive debacle a few years back, I now dont use any fuel brand too long thats promoting its `new additive`.

But on the old 1.9 Indirect injection job on the other car, I fill the fuel filter canister with Comma injector cleaner before fitting it.

Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - madf
In 10 years of servicing SWMBO's 106 diesel, and draining the fuel filter annually, never found any water.
The Yaris diesel filter looks well designed and simple to replace...

I've been testing Shell V Power diesel and my initial thoughts are: no change in consumption, not worth the money .. but another 300 miles to go.
madf
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - Martin Spindlow
Hi guys, I have a fiesta 2010 1.6 tdci which is the Peugeot engine.

I ran the original filter to around 65000 miles, almost twice the recommendation (37,500) and then had issues. Low fuel pressure at injectors alerts logged on the ecu and engine management light came on, then went into limp mode. So I can confirm they do need replacing even if not as often as manufacturers claim.

After resetting the fault codes and changing the filter the car was absolutely fine, no problems with fuel pump or injectors

I regularly let the fuel tank run very low and just fill up at supermarkets.

Hope that helps with knowing what not changing it will do.

Martin
Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - DirtyDieselDogg

Meh! not changed the FUEL filter in the 1.6 TDI yet, not sure the franshised dealer has either mind you!, in 90,000 miles.

But having taken 253,000 out o the 1.9TDI lump in the Galaxy., and ran mostly on "personally imported diesel, in 20 litre Jerry cans" and did all the servicing myself, and only to manufacturers service inervals,(20, then extended to 30 thou miles from recall) and cut filters open, no water ever seen, occassionally perhaps a few drips from the drain tap on the filter housing bottom, when I remembered to drain it.

I did however on occassion, being in the habit of running on less-than oily fumes on-route to Muff (being the nearest fln stn in the Free State) note gritty particulate matter in the filter wot ud certainly ave murdered an injection pump.

cheers

marcus

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 07/01/2016 at 18:43

Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - jthan

...Fuller's earth?

[Only joking!]

:-)

Diesel fuel filters, changed too often? - DirtyDieselDogg

Ah nivver knowingly purchased "hooky" diesel, choosing to use only reputable local filling stations, OR going to Donegal and buying from big brand name filling stations, BUT, nevertheless with the amount of laundered red diesel about in NI back 10 or so year ago, I did opt to cut the fuel filter open to "look see", just in case, cheers, Marcus