Speed limiters for young drivers? - frazerjp
I just briefly read in a magazine about a company who can fit 'speed governors' to a young motorists car by parents who want to prevent their youngsters going too fast.
Basically they re-map the ECU so preventing the youngsters vehicle from going over 70mph without restricting the performance elsewhere thus making the young driver not realise it's been tampered with.

Will it ever take on?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Screwloose
fraz

Standard-fit in almost all late ECU software - particularly ones with commercial derivatives as most vans are now limited.

Usually left un-set at the configuration stage on cars - but can be useful for non-payers......
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Michael, Surrey
I feel that the answer to the issue of young driver accident rate is in the footer of your own posting. Maybe though, such a device might come into it's own if any type of graduated licensing system was introduced. Perhaps some kind of vehicle restriction might then come along with it.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - MichaelR
I'm a young driver with an electronic speed limiter fitted to my car. It doesn't bother me.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Pugugly {P}
yeah to a 155mph !
Well, yea :D

On a more serious note, I cannot see plans like this having any point. Having a 70mph limit won't stop idiots in Corsas hitting lamp-posts at 60mph in a 30 zone.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Chris White
On a more serious note I cannot see plans like this having any point.

Agree, for the same reasons MichaelR has said. As far as I was aware, most accidents happen on urban and country roads so I can't see it making the slightest bit of difference.

Now, if you're thinking about giving them all low powered small cars (someone could start remaking the Fiat 126 for drivers who have just passed their test....)
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Pugugly {P}
Even better a modern day Moggie 1000. Easy to work on (and breathe on !) and RWD so they can learn to drive properly.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - NowWheels
>> On a more serious note I cannot see plans like this having any point.
Agree for the same reasons MichaelR has said. As far as I was aware most
accidents happen on urban and country roads so I can't see it making the slightest
bit of difference.

Set the limiter to 30mph. That'll help. The limit can be turned up when blood tests show a sufficient decline in their testosterone levels.
Now if you're thinking about giving them all low powered small cars (someone could start
remaking the Fiat 126 for drivers who have just passed their test....)

Preferably painted barbie pink. It'd destroy the car's usefulness as a device for testosterone-driven show-offs
Set the limiter to 30mph. That'll help. The limit can be turned up when blood
tests show a sufficient decline in their testosterone levels.

Are you serious? And you'd be happy to sit behind young guys limited to 30mph on NSL A roads? You'd be happy to have a young guy in his Saxo VTR dangerously affecting traffic speed on the inside lane of a dual carraigeway at 30mph?
Are you serious? And you'd be happy to sit behind young guys limited to 30mph
on NSL A roads? You'd be happy to have a young guy in his Saxo
VTR dangerously affecting traffic speed on the inside lane of a dual carraigeway at 30mph?

It'd be infinitely preferable to have careering along at 40mph in a residential street, as plenty of the idiots round my way do.
It'd be infinitely preferable to have careering along at 40mph in a residential street as
plenty of the idiots round my way do.

No it wouldn't. It's a ludicrous suggestion. You can't limit cars to 30mph. It's inherently dangerous and would cause more accidents than it would solve.

Have you any experience of being a young driver yourself?
SNIPQUOTE! once more for the lazy person who can't be bothered to do so for themselves!
No it wouldn't. It's a ludicrous suggestion. You can't limit cars to 30mph. It's inherently
dangerous and would cause more accidents than it would solve.

It's amazing how many drivers claim that driving at a low speed is inherently dangerous. A bit of basic physics helps here :)

I know your argument will be that the 30mph driver causes an obstruction which other drivers try to overtake, but there's an easy solution to that: pull in when a queue forms.
Have you any experience of being a young driver yourself?

Youngish, because I didn't learn to drive until my mid/late twenties. Until then I only drove tractors, and I learnt a lot about basic vehicle control etc from driving at low speeds, and had a lot of road experience from years of commuting by bike and cycling huge mileages. Most young drivers these days have very little experience of cycling, and it shows.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Vin {P}
"Set the limiter to 30mph. That'll help. "

I've just realised something, NowWheels. Unless that was tongue in cheek, you're utterly bonkers.

V
Speed limiters for young drivers? - GregSwain
I've just realised something NowWheels. Unless that was tongue in cheek you're utterly bonkers.

Agreed 100%. When will people realise that limiting all young drivers to 30mph will be utterly useless. It's not the speed that kills it's the poor judgement and inexperience. If you're not concentrating you can still kill someone at 30. Why not patronise them even further and make them drive on tracks instead of these big dangerous flat tarmac roads?
SNIPQUOTE! once more for the lazy person who can't be bothered to do so for themselves!
Agreed 100%. When will people realise that limiting all young drivers to 30mph will be
utterly useless. It's not the speed that kills it's the poor judgement and inexperience.

Poor judgement and inexperience at 30mph has much less serious consequences than poor judgement and inexperience at 60mph. Drive into a tree at 30 in a modern car and you stand a good chance of coming out with light injuries, but do it at 60 and the chances are poor.
So, NW, when the young driver is going to, say, drive along a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit, are you seriously suggesting that 30mph is safer than 60 or 70?

Your utter devotedness to the speed kills message is astounding. Clearly having cars driving at 30mph and 70mph on the same stretch of road is madness, but you'll no doubt keep on defending the idea, as it fits nicely with your world view.

V
Clearly having cars driving at
30mph and 70mph on the same stretch of road is madness but you'll no doubt
keep on defending the idea as it fits nicely with your world view.

So include in the package a ban on those drivers going on dual carriageways until their limit is increased. A road like the A34 around Oxford, with heavy fast-moving traffic, no hard shoulder and far too many cars following too closely, is no place for an inexperienced driver.
"So include in the package a ban on those drivers going on dual carriageways until their limit is increased. A road like the A34 around Oxford, with heavy fast-moving traffic, no hard shoulder and far too many cars following too closely, is no place for an inexperienced driver."

Now you're sugegsting that young drivers should be kept off dual carriageways (generally safe) and kept in cities (generally dangerous)?

I told you you'd defend your idea despite its obvious faults.

I give up.

V
So include in the package a ban...

My point has been proven! You really WOULD make them drive on tracks to minimise the dangers of open tarmac. If you really think it's safe to drive at a maximum of 30 in a 50, 60 or 70 zone you really do need your head looking at. The A34 is a fairly harmless piece of road - when I drove to university having been a driver for 4 months, I managed to do a good 70mph without even crashing into any trees(!!).

If learners were made to drive on motorways at real motorway speeds before they could get a licence, they'd be much safer. Driving up the M1 around Sheffield at peak times would be a far better measure of driving ability than reversing around a corner. I daresay someone who learns in an inner city mightn't see a 70-zone before getting their licence. THAT is what makes a driver unsafe.
SNIPQUOTE once again for lazy person
My point has been proven! You really WOULD make them drive on tracks to minimise
the dangers of open tarmac.

Greg, if you spent more time reading what's written and less time throwing insults, you'd notice that's not what I suggested.
The A34 is a fairly harmless piece of road

It seems that some people really could benefit from hazard perception courses. (If you want to throw insults, expect to receive some.)
I daresay someone who learns in an inner city mightn't see a 70-zone before getting
their licence. THAT is what makes a driver unsafe.

Much better to have a multi-stage licence, as is done in many other countries, and let drivers gain experience off the motorways before trying them.
Greg if you spent more time reading what's written and less time throwing insults...

I'm reading what's written, and shaking my head in disbelief that anyone can deviate so far from common sense that I'm surprised one of Cameron's policy groups haven't snapped you up yet.
It seems that some people really could benefit from hazard perception courses.

It's just a standard piece of dual carriageway. Never had an accident since passing my test despite the failed attempts of several incompetent drivers, so I rate my hazard perception as high.
Much better to have a multi-stage licence as is done in many other countries

Why's that better? What about young people who NEED to do a long-distance drive to get to university, or see relatives etc? Pure nonsense. I make the 600-mile round trip to visit my mum a couple of times a year, and the A34 forms part of that journey (right from the M40 to the M3, all of which I just consider a normal dual carriageway now that Chieveley roundabout has gone). In fact, the traffic is usually quite light south of Newbury.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - teabelly
A bravado limiter might be a much better idea :-) I also think young people should be taught how small cars are more affected by having passengers than large cars. Showing off in front of friends is one thing but I am sure there must be young drivers who are genuinely caught out by how differently a supermini behaves when their beer swilling, rugby playing mates are squeezed into it. I actually think that is something that should be tackled with passplus or one of those think adverts.
teabelly
Speed limiters for young drivers? - bell boy
make them all have a reliant for a year that will teach them how to control a car
or a motorbike for a year
my bus fares have gone up AGAIN, said i wouldnt use them after last time as well,but i hate taxis as most are well below mechanical standard up here in yorkshire
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Screwloose
bb

What's a "bus?"
What's a "bus?"

Ask Altea Ego ;-)
Speed limiters for young drivers? - bell boy
a bus is something one has to endure when one has been away fratenising with the natives and needs to return home from the more civiilsed train station
Meanwhile, back in the real world, my limiter when I learned was my Mini 850. IIRC, it delivered a stunning 37bhp and couldn't overtake a milk float without a good run up. I do wonder if something like that might help. Cars seem to have moved on power wise while young men's brains haven't.

V
Meanwhile back in the real world my limiter when I learned was my Mini 850.

SNIPQUOTE! once more for the lazy person who STILL can't be bothered to do so for themself!

Vin, this is funny. You think that sticking a limiter on a modern car is a bad idea, but that an old car which is limited by its tiny engine is fine. What exactly is the difference, apart from the fact that the crashed Mini is much more likely to kill or injure its occupants?
Because, NoWheels, if you actually THOUGHT about what I said, I said that I think a 30mph limit is off in the land of fairies in terms of saving lives, as it would increase risk terribly in the real world. What I then suggested was a limit on power (and you thought I meant that everyone should drive old Mini 850s). If you can't see the difference between a power limit and a speed limit, then I can't help you.

V
What I then suggested was
a limit on power (and you thought I meant that everyone should drive old Mini
850s). If you can't see the difference between a power limit and a speed limit
then I can't help you.

OK, if sarcasm is how like discussing things, then I can do sarcasm too. If you don't understand that a power limit constrains both acceleration and top, then let's resume the conversation when you've done some research.
I mean "constrains both acceleration and top speed"
My Mini did about 70-75mph. Not really too constrained, is it?

You're suggesting 30. Not 70, not 60, not 50, not 40, but 30!

You're the one proposing putting drivers in 30mph vehicles on the road. Then when a fault is pointed out in your reasoning, you extend your plan to ban young drivers from dual carrriageways. What next? I point out that single carriageway nsl roads will become blocked up with 30mph cars. What will you suggest? Presumably, given your banning mentaility, they should be kept off there. What about 50mph roads? 40mph roads?

Why not just ban them completely from all roads that allow >30mph speeds? That'd force them to do every mile of their motoring on the most dangerous roads in the kingdowm. Would that fulfil your desire to make your barmy plan make sense?

V
Vin, we can argue away about the details and about where to draw the lines.

But in the meantime young men are massively over-represented in the accident figures, killing or injuring not just themselves but their passengers.

Some other countries impose speed limits on young drivers, so it's not a barmy idea. If the most practical way of implementing it is to restrict drivers to 30mph roads for a while, so be it: there is a lot to be learnt at that speed.

Other possibilities include the ideas used in many American states, some which ban young drivers at particular times of the day (e.g. between 11pm and 5am) and/or restrict their ability to carry passengers. There are plenty of options, and I'm sure that all of them have some downsides, but those downsides look trivial compared with the horrendous accident rates for young male drivers under the current system.
"we can argue away about the details and about where to draw the lines."

Sounds like you're beginning to realise that 30mph might not be a good idea. Then

"If the most practical way of implementing it is to restrict drivers to 30mph roads for a while, so be it: there is a lot to be learnt at that speed."

Practical? How impractical do you need it to be? Can't drive outside town centres. Come up to a 40mph sign and need to do a U turn? Can't drive on dual carriageways? Kids living in the countryside simply can't drive. No motorway driving, obviously, despite the inherent safety of those roads.

What happens if he lives in Portsmouth and gets a job in Petersfield. There is literally no way of driving between the two on 30mph roads. Or Ronsey to Nursling (3 miles) for that matter. He can't take the job.

C'mon NowWheels, just for me, admit that a 30mph blanket limit on young drivers would be insane.

V.

Can't drive on
dual carriageways? Kids living in the countryside simply can't drive.

Then they need to get their experience in towns. They obviously can't use a car for regular transport until they have progressed to a full licence.
No motorway driving obviously despite
the inherent safety of those roads.

Motorways are safer if you know how to drive on them. The current situation of a driver with only the very limited experience needed to pass the test being let loose on a motorway is crazy, and plenty of other countries ban newly-qualified drivers from motorways.
What happens if he lives in Portsmouth and gets a job in Petersfield. There is
literally no way of driving between the two on 30mph roads.

They would have the same options as anyone who doesn't have both a driving licence and a car of their own: public transport, or if that's as useless as in other parts of the country, arrange a lift ... and if none of those are available either look for a job close to home or rent a room in town. It's what people have done for many generations.
Or Ronsey to Nursling
(3 miles) for that matter. He can't take the job.

15 minutes on a bicycle, thirty minutes to walk, if there is no bus and no lift. Perfectly feasible to take the job.
C'mon NowWheels just for me admit that a 30mph blanket limit on young drivers would
be insane.

AS before, it might not be the best way of imposing a restriction. But it'd be a lot better than having youngsters continuing to drive very fast cars without restrictions. Motorcycle licences carry restrictions, so the principle is nothing new -- it's just a matter of what details work best in the balance.
Do you know, I think you could be right.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Hamsafar
It's not speed that kills, it sudden changes in speed that kill.
Nobody has EVER died from going fast, they die from either suddenly slowing down, or being suddenly speeded up.
That's why limiting people to 30mph is utterly stupid, how is having vehicles with a speed difference so great sharing the same road-space going to help? It won't.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Kiwi Gary
In New Zealand we have restrictions similar to USA { see above post }. Would-be drivers have to pass a theory test, after which they get a learner's licence to drive under instruction. Next stage is the restricted licence, which is a practical test to see if the candidate is safe to drive solo. That is just what it means - no pasengers unless one of them has held a full licence for at least 2 years. Curfew 10 pm to 6 am. It takes 18 months to be permitted to take the full licence test, and that is where most of our youngsters go off the rails. No self-respecting bulletproof teenager is going to refuse to take his / her friends Saturday-night joyriding and street-racing. If you can race to get away from a cop, so much the better for the adrenaline rush. Unfortunately, it does keep the undertakers in business.

At the weekend just past, there was a car show in Christchurch and the police let it be known that patrols would be out in force. Red rag to a bull as far as the street-racing community was concerned. Police actually had teams set up which included vehicle inspectors from the Land Transport Safety Authority, and officials from the Ministry of Justice. 520 arrests, mainly for licence infringements, 36 cars seized by Justice for unpaid fines, 31 cars seized by LTSA for being dangerous. Several who had the funds available paid up on the spot for outstanding fines rather than have their cars seized. That in one town of about a quarter of a million people.
If the drivers in NZ are anywhere near as bad as Australian drivers, such measures may be necessary (never have I been so glad to be back on UK soil!). However, in the UK, where insurance is compulsory and you won't find an 18y/o driving a 5 litre V8 Holden Commodore, most young people seem to drive 1.1 litre Citroens or suchlike.

The undertakers are kept in business here by young people attempting to drive well beyond their car's capabilities, and their own as a driver. If they choose to remove themselves from the genepool in this way, so much the better for normal people who use the roads as a means of getting from A to B. The unfortunate thing is that they often kill their passengers or other roadusers/pedestrians.

The thing that NowWheels doesn't understand (albeit one of many), is that having a head-on crash at 30mph means that in effect you're hitting a stationary object at 60mph. How do you overcome that? Restrict everyone to 15mph? I can run faster than that. In fact, NW, i think we'll all just run everywhere (although we'll have to wear helmets in case of a high-speed collision) ;-)
Speed limiters for young drivers? - L'escargot
It isn't speed that causes young drivers to have accidents, it's the lack of experience in recognising the approach of hazardous situations.
--
L\'escargot.
Speed limiters for young drivers? - Pete M
The latest news here in New Zealand tells us that the government are considering compulsory 3rd party insurance as in UK. The newspaper poll I saw had 95% in agreement. This should help reduce our young driver / powerful car problem. Most of the cars in New Zealand are used imports from Japan, and almost all of these have a 180km/h (112 mph) speed limiter as standard. It is of course possible to disable the speed limiting electronically, but the cars come with it built in. This is not at present a requirement, and it is not checked at the six-monthly check equivalent to the MOT.
I live in Christchurch, the city mentioned in an earlier post, and there is definitely a problem with young people and the car culture here. Young people have always craved speed and excitement, and I was no different to anyone else in my youth, which was about 30 years ago. The difference now is that the cars available have about ten times the horsepower that we had in our cars back then. I hope that compulsory insurance may put the brakes on some of this activity, as the number of young people being killed here in New Zealand while taking part in it is much too high.