Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Nsar
I realise I'm about five years late posting this but having just driven a Mini One from London to Manchester, I've got to ask what was that all about?

Handling no better than any decent small car. Performance decidedly lacklustre and fuel efficiency nothing special and being inside the thing made me feel like I was at a family party where one of the children does a magic trick - initially quite charming, but two minutes in and the grin is becoming a little fixed and after five minutes you're thinking "don't milk it sonny".

I was half thinking of buying a Cooper S a couple of years ago and now I'm so glad I didn't.
Mini - joke lasts about 5 minutes - Nsar
The title of this thread has been mangled by the "new improved" BR - not me!

I thought you liked the MINI so much you named it three times, I took one away but you're stuck with the other two ! -PU

{wanna bet ;o) - DD}
Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Chris White
I've got to say that I agree. I had my sister's Mini Cooper for a day earlier this year (drove from Eastbourne to Gatwick and back). I was really excited to drive it, but I wasn't hugely impressed.

I didn't want to post it on here because I though I must be missing something.........

I was expecting it to be quicker than it was, the steering was heavy and I also didn't think the handling was anything special.

Maybe you notice the handling on a track but in day to day driving?

Chris
Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Aprilia
Never rated the Mini from day 1. Its always seemed a bit of a con to me. Essentially a cheaply made car with a fair few bugs (gearbox which was a Rover 25 unit in different housing with 30k life, etc).
I remember driving down to Richmond from the Midlands, and back, in the same day and the wretched thing made me feel ill. Noisy, hard ride and lots of creaks and rattles. Driven others since and they haven't improved with age.
I'm sure they are great fun (in a go-kart sort of way) on well-graded smooth roads. In everyday driving there are better cars. The Swift does most things better, and even the new Corsa is a better car.
The Mini brand is very much a one-trick pony. Brand support costs must be very high (all those nice showrooms dedicated to just one product) - which I guess is why they are so expensive.
Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Avant
All I can say is that SWMBO loves her Mini One - it's nippy in town and has plenty of zip at motorway speeds. The ride is a little softer than the Cooper, which we thought about but finally decided we didn't need.

I've done a few long trips in it to put a few more miles on it and less on mine, and it was good fun to drive. It is of course a mini-BMW, and so the steering and clutch are heavier than my personal preference, but no doubt perfect for others.

It seems expensive for what it is, but because it holds its value so well it becomes good value if you buy on a PCP.

I wonder if Nsar's trip was in a 1.6 like ours or the new 1.4 which I haven't tried and may be a little less nippy.
Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Westpig
mate bought an early Cooper and was all hyped up about it......(fair enough).....although i was a bit surprised when it arrived

interior silver plastic looked dreadful, like it had been very cheaply resprayed.. and as for the ride, unbelievably hard, so much so i could not have put up with it....(although he had specified the bigger wheels)
Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Martin Devon
Similar thing to say if the Mods don't get to it. Years ago a mate was given an XR3i as a Company car. He soon swapped it for a 1.3L a.s.a.p. Couldn't stand the ride.

MD
Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Flying Red
The branding is very seductive and if you drive a MINI enthusiastically on a short test drive it makes a good case for itself. As the posters above confirm though, its appeal soon wanes. The opposite of something like a Volvo estate.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - J Bonington Jagworth
I'd just like to say that I felt the same way about the original Mini. Crude, noisy and uncomfortable, with a horrid gearbox. Tatty inside and idiotic out, but of course, no-one was allowed to say so a generation ago.

I feel better now...

(I'm not suggesting that the new one is that bad, but the 'branding' does seem to mesmerise people.)
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Xileno {P}
Viewed purely as a car they are, IMO, distinctly average. However they have benefitted from brilliant marketing. Image and looks will always outsell ability.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Aprilia
I was actually working for Rover at the time the Mini project kicked off, so can provide some background.

Basically when BMW took over Rover they were looking for some quick returns. Rover had been looking (for many years) at developing a 'new generation' Mini, but lack of committment from management (esp. in BAe ownership) meant that there were plenty of ideas floating around, but nothing got off the ground.
For BMW, getting into the small car market seemed obvious and a good way to generate some cash if the car could be built cheaply enough. BMW had in mind that Rover would churn out 'Retro' styled cars to reflect the 'heritage' and so the Mini's styling was fixed early on - lots of cues back to the original.

The chassis was not too much of a problem, but BMW lacked a suitable powertrain and didn't want to get things off to a bad start by using either the K-series or the venerable A-series (that would be a non-starter!!). There was insufficient time for BMW to design a new powertrain (and it would have been too expensive) so they began casting around for a cheap and compact engine.
At the same time, Chrysler needed a low-cost 1.6l engine for the entry level PT Cruisers they were building in Mexico. They took the block from the Neon engine (a derivative of their old K-series engine) and put on a new SOHC head which was basically one provided for them by Mitsubishi (from the Orion engine). To keep costs down the engine was built in Brazil. The engine was already designed when BMW showed interest, and by agreeing to BMW financial investment Chrysler could increase volume and keep costs even lower. This became known as the Tritec joint venture and although it is often marketed as a 'BMW-Chrysler' engine it is in fact wholly Chrysler. Its not a particularly good motor, but at least in the Mini application is fitted with Siemens engine management (French designed from a Renault-Bendix joint-venture pedigree).

Having sourced the engine BMW then needed a transmission. Unfortunately they could find anything at the right price that fitted. They were left with the option of repackaging the Rover 25 gearbox. That heavy clutch was actually a Rover 25 part. Unfortunately it was not designed with large dia wheels in mind and so suffered a bit in the Mini application (they don't usually last long).

Handling IS good, but at the expense of ride. Its basic, short-travel, high spring and damper rates that they couldn't go wrong with.

The Mini really is a triumph of marketing over substance. I think it appeals because its a blend of 'trendy' British retro-styling with (as far as the general public are concerned) German engineering so they can convince themselves its a 'Mini BMW'. It probably costs no more to build than a Suzuki Swift, but can be sold for twice the price. Its a 'car as fashion accessory' and appeals to the girls. I think the big question is, where does the brand go in the future?
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Roger Jones
Thanks for taking the trouble to post that, Aprilia. Very interesting.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - RB
I was wandering around a used car supermarket the other day, where all the cars are unlocked and you can have a good look around and inside them.

Although I am not in the market for a MINI-type car, I was curious to see what all the fuss and excitement was/is all about, so had a peek and sit in a couple of 2-3 year old ones.

I have to say that the the interiors were looking rather tired and the plastic aluminium on the door trim etc was starting to look very plastic.

Still, as others have said - it's a great bit of marketing, and I can see the attraction of it to the people it is being aimed at. Fashion accessory and all that.

I feel a song coming on - "King's (or was it Emporer's) new clothes"?
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - RichardW
Mate of mine has got a 53 Cooper S. Paid 11.5k for it about 6 months ago (only 20k miles). I think he's regretting not getting the A3 TDi he very nearly bought now - for all the usual reasons - the ride is solid (16" runflats....), the fuel consumption abysmal, and the trim is falling off. Still, it is quick I suppose.....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - DP
I drove a Cooper (non-S) a couple of years ago, and was distinctly underwhelmed.

I'm still not sure how much of my indifference was due to the genuine shortcomings of the car (truly woeful ride, creaky trim, breathless engine) and how much was due to the disappointment that the reality could be so different to the hype.

I also recall thinking it felt like it should cost no more than £7k.

The original Mini had its faults (stacks of 'em), but at least it was cheap for all bar the last few years of its life.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Lud
I haven't driven one but I have been in one a couple of times. There was nothing about it that made me want to drive one (any more than any other car I mean) or go in one again. Ride was choppy but handling from where I sat not in the go-kart category. Worst of both worlds.

I am a firm believer in my own snap judgement where cars are concerned. I think if it looks right it probably is. I am very seldom badly wrong. The MINI never looked quite right to me. I don't suppose it's dangerous or anything, just not quite right. Fiat 500 is another matter altogether though.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - boxsterboy
A few years back I went to have a look at one and have a test drive.

I didn't get as far as test drive. The poor packaging (rear seat behind me as a 6-foot driver and boot especially) and the plastic aluminium trim made me decide that however nippy it might be around the bends, the compromises elsewhere in the design would grate within a week of ownership.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Mapmaker
Funny

As regular readers know, I don't care one jot about my 'image' on the road. But I feel the MINI is one of the handsomest current cars around, looks-wise; together with the Rover 75 and the Morgan.

I s'pose it's all that chrome!
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - barchettaman
www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/

:-)
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Derfel
I had a look at a Cooper S which my brother was thinking of buying recently and had a brief test drive. The car which was just over 3 years old was not at all impressive. The ride was really harsh, it was cramped inside and not as quick as I was expecting. The handling was great and doubtless it would be fun on some open country roads but a long drive would be no fun at all.

The most disappointing aspect was the build quality which was frankly just cheap and tacky. The presence of a Rover 25 gearbox would be a big concern also.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Robin Reliant
It looks like a Tonka Toy, it's styling is exaggerated like a cartoon car. A car for 22 year olds who wear white socks and have never had a girlfriend.
--
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - rtj70
Back when the new BMW Mini came out we needed a new car for my better half. She quite liked the look of the new Mini. I was willing to get it and pay for it because it would be well built, safe and depreciate slowly so not a bad car. We got something else which was smaller (her desire) and whilst it hasn't held it's value nearly as well, in about 5 years probably lost less than you would on a Mini.

This is the bit that some fall for - it holds a higher percentage of list price over 3 years but £ for £ it is still more ;-)

Anyway my point is she never sat in one or drove it but liked them. Then 6 months ago got a lift in one and hated it. Hated the interior design and thought there was no room in the back where she was sitting....

Well marketed though aren't they.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Pendlebury
I recently had a drive in a Mini Cooper S and was really disappointed after all I had read.
I am in full agreement with Aprilia's 1st post on this above.
The ride comfort was dreadful, the quality was poor, the quality of the switches felt like they were from a 1980's car and it also made me feel very ill.
It was all a bit of a let down for me, but once again demonstrates that car buying (especially in the UK) is all about the badge. It is clearly a fashionable car - just a shame it is so bad.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - jase1
They're still better value than a BMW 116 though!
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - piggy
It looks like a Tonka Toy it's styling is exaggerated like a cartoon car. >>>

Very well put. They are over hyped,bloated and very much overpriced. Don`t the people who buy them bother to compare prices of other (and better)cars?
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Pugugly {P}
At least when you come to sell a 5 year old megamileage one you get a decent price for it ! Owned ours for that long, it was ok, never came to an involuntary halt, cost peanuts to run from every angle, not a perfect car and no better or worse than any other other car of its class on the road.

"Don`t the people who buy them bother to compare prices of other (and better)cars?"

Mrs P certainly did but she was wise enough to realise that the residuals are far stronger than other/better cars, whichever way you look at it.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - IanW1977
I have only ever seen middle aged Women drive the non Sporty ones.

Amazing though how there are hundreds of normal ones in Autotrader every week under Sports and Performance.

Personally not a fan and can't believe that it's got a Chrysler Engine and Rover 25 Transmission !

What will happen about the Transmission now Rover don't make them anymore ??

The thing is if Rover had made them then people wouldn't have bought so many because of the Rover factor but give the same car a BMW type badge and it sells like hot cakes. Are they pretty good reliability wise then ?
Stereotype confirmed - she is middle aged but now drives a 200bhp Golf. With verve.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - jbif
" can't believe that it's got a Chrysler Engine " [ * ]

Not to be Chrysler engines in the future. Instead, they will be French PSA !

[ * ]
www.greencarcongress.com/2007/07/bmw-transfers-s.h...l
auto.moldova.org/stiri/eng/56156
11 July2007
BMW sells Brazilian motor venture stake to Chrysler
A spokesman for BMW said the company would replace the motors with those built through its engine partnership with French carmaker PSA.

Yes, the contract with Chrysler expires in 2008. BMW will then take the PSA 'Prince' engine. There is talk of the Chinese buying the Tritec joint venture (Chery already take the 'Mini' engine).
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - piggy
Mrs P certainly did but she was wise enough to realise that the residuals are
far stronger than other/better cars whichever way you look at it.

Care should be taken when looking at residuals-the Mini will have cost a lot more in the first place.
She was happy, trust me she knows her onions.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Avant
How interesting that so many Backroomers - motoring enthusiasts all I assume - are anti the Mini, whereas most journalists and testers rave about it and the general public buy them in droves and hence keep reale values high.

I'm not sure why - yet the comment above are perfectly reasonable. I'm glad we went for a Mini One rather than a Cooper as the ride is slightly softer but not so much as to spoil the handling.

I have to admit that the Mini feels less special compared with the new Golf estate (a 2.0 TDI) - maybe my fondness for it is more an indication of how underwhelming the B-class was. I still think the Mini is good at what it was designed to do, and more than just a triumph of marketing. It's not an all-rounder - but it wasn't meant to be.
Well summed up Avant.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Robin Reliant
I like the white socks, Avant. ;-)
--
" How interesting that so many Backroomers - motoring enthusiasts all I assume - are anti the Mini, etc.etc.etc. "

Hello Avant.
Insert Smiley here. I think you should know that backroomers are otherwise known as the Mondeo TDCi fanclub, and or the anti-BMW brigade. MINI is part of BMW so it equates to anti-MINI.

Seriously though, for sure, everyone other than most backroomers is an individual and chooses their car because they like it for whatever reason. I personally don't care what anyone thinks about my car choice. I buy with my money what I want to drive. Sorry, it is not a MINI, though. Even so, I do like their look and style and air of quality even if it is a deception according to backroomers above.

Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Chris White
For someone who joined up three weeks ago you're very quick to make opinions on other backroomers ;-) <----- now that's a smily (and an arrow for good measure)

Chris
" For someone who joined up three weeks ago you're very quick to make opinions on other backroomers ;-) etc.etc.etc. "

Hello Chris.
Sorry if I am treading on your toes as a newcomer. I have been lurking for a long time and do know that you lot like Mondeos. Is that not true, then? If you like, in future, I will ask your permission before making my opinion known ;-) ;-) ;-)
I copied & pasted your smiley there three times for good measure.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - kievclive
Its frequently a bit cliquey here - reason I left alone for a few months, that and some travelling...same old story, the 'experts' give vent and mere mortals are expected to accept all comments as wisdom and criticism as fact.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - nick
Its frequently a bit cliquey here -

Start your own clique! Nothing wrong with a clique of one.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - nick1975
good tlc package
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - rtj70
I think the BMW Mini MKI and now MKII are well received. Okay cars but the public seem to be putting them on a pedestal so to speak.

But BMW did offer the servicing package despite the engine and now it seems transmission not being the best. The new new Mini (i.e. the MkII) probably has addressed some problems then like engines, transmissions, etc.

If only FIAT would bring the cheaper 500's here. They would make a killing. Unless the Polish factory is unable to produce too many right had drives?
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Number_Cruncher
>>whereas most journalists and testers rave about it

But, why would we pay any **special** attention to these people? Surely real experience as posted on threads like this is much more valuable for those who aren't followers of the herd.

Number_Cruncher
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Hamsafar
I really like the look, especially earlier ones, but to be a passenger in one is awful, it's like riding on a Clarke pallet truck.
I've only done it after few sherries. Passenger not drive a pallet truck !
I am not 'anti' Mini, "it is what it is". Hats off to BMW for pulling off such good marketing. I work in the industry and find the Mini an interesting car. Its nothing special, but BMW hit the market with a small retro-style fashion car at just the right time. From a technical perspecitve it is very average, but they have managed to endow it with a premium aura and price. Pity Rover could not have pulled it off a couple of years earlier.
I cannot explain why motoring journalists rave about it (if indeed they do - I don't read the consumer mags much, other than What Car? in the dentist's waiting room).
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - tyro
>>whereas most journalists and testers rave about it
But why would we pay any **special** attention to these people?

Because they drive a lot of different cars, and because they know more than I do.

Like Avant, I'm a bit surprised that people here are so negative. Back in March 2002, HJ wrote "The MINI Cooper is the most fun car to drive there is." The fact that so many backroomers seem to disagree is, at the very least, interesting.

By they way, where is Lee to give us his take on this?

(FWIW I've never driven one, and never considered buying one, so this is purely of academic interest to me.)
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Xileno {P}
"How interesting that so many Backroomers - motoring enthusiasts all I assume - are anti the Mini, whereas most journalists and testers rave about it..."

Explained simply by the fact the journalists only experience the car for a very short period of time - sometimes only a few hours. This is not, IMO, a sufficiently long enough period of time to formulate a valuable view.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Westpig
"How interesting that so many Backroomers - motoring enthusiasts all I assume - are anti
the Mini whereas most journalists and testers rave about it..."

and for some u/k reason most journalists rave about out and out handling, whereas some of us like good handling, but also want some comfort and are willing to compromise to get it
I think a Mini Cooper IS great fun to drive. However, I had to travel from the Midlands to Richmond and back in one a couple of years ago and that kind of put me off - the ride/handling compromise is not good, its noisy and basically tiring on anything above 30 miles. Horses for courses really. For blasting around on local journeys there would be no problem.
My thoughts are that there is nothing a standard Mini does that a Suzuki Swift 1.5 can't do for a lot less money. Better engine, more room, more practical, more comfortable and handles as well. But fashion's not about logic, is it?
My wife recently bought some very expensive 'designer' Court shoes. They look uncomfortable and were terribly poor value (cost £150 to buy and probably made in Vietnam for £2). However she likes the look of them and they have a designer name on them - job done as far as she is concerned.
Sorry Westpig, I didn't see your post before I went on to make fundamentally the same point further down.

Number_Cruncher
>>Because they drive a lot of different cars

Yes, but does that make their opinion of them any more valid? They may easily mis-judge ever car they drive! Are they looking for the same things you would look for? As an example, after many years of cars on-limit handling being assesed by these experts on airfields, we have many cars coming equipped with silly low profile tyres to make the handling seem more responsive. Is that really what we all want?

>>and because they know more than I do.

Tyro, I think you're doing yourself a dis-service here, and perhaps you are also being over deferent. They may know about presenting good copy for their editors, they may know about the skills of TV presentation, but I don't think they are worlds apart in their knowledge of cars than the average enthusiastic member of the backroom. There are some notable exceptions - HJ for example must at least poke his nose into the odd workshop to be able to put together his replies in the DT column.

Number_Cruncher

Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - wobblyboot
Because they drive a lot of different cars

...and eat a lot of dinners paid for by car companies
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Vansboy
Well marketed, no, VERRRY well marketed!

Over priced, ditto!

When Mrs V was allowed her first ever NEW car, 4 years back, we looked in the MINI showroom, helpful, informative FEMALE & young sales staff. No demo available, other than used stock, but look at the display models & wasn't impressed.

Even less impressed, regarding the amount you spend to personalise it!! This is where owners fail to recognise the amazing residuals, aren't quite so clever! The £600 of toys never comes back to you, when you swap it in!!

So the result was a top of the shop, limited edition Montana Mx5, which already had loads of 'extras', plus another £2000 worth from the options list, a LL FOR MUCH LESS THAN A mini!

& a better package all round!

VB
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
...and eat a lot of dinners paid for by car companies

Nail on head there I suspect.

Of the motoring journos that I have read over the years, very few have really held my respect. The Car legends of many years ago would be the exception, the late and great Messrs Setright, Bulgin, Llewellyn and Bishop. Bulgin was one of the first writers that seemed genuinely enthusiastic about Japanese cars and methodology; Setright could extend your vocabulary and knowledge of motoring physics in the same column; Llewellyn and Bishop were just great to read. There doesn't seem to be a single magazine on the market that offers what Car used to offer. Car itself seemed to die in spirit when Top Gear magazine was launched, forcing Car into mimicking TG's style and an endless cycle of redesigns.

Sorry, gone right off topic. Erm, the Mini. Great marketing trick, but also a product that was launched at exactly the right time - into a booming economy with rising disposable incomes and cheap credit, just the circumstances that such a fashionable yet relatively impractical and overpriced car needed. Superb timing, well-executed product.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - boxsterboy
Agree with your points, bristol (ooh er!) about Car. Of the printed mags these days, some of the Autocar writers seem the best of a bad bunch. I am thinking of Cropley, Bremner and Goodwin, biut the magazine as a whole is still too far removed from reality IMHO.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - WipeOut
I had a Mini Cooper S this year from new. I had it for three months, which is precisely the amount of time it took me to reject it! I had problems with it right from day one. My worst ever car ownership. That said when the car worked, it was a delight to drive.
Mini One - Joke lasts about 5 minutes - Nomag
A friend had a 52 plate Mini One - and guess what she now drives - a Skoda Octavia diesel! It started going wrong just as the warranty expired, and little faults were VERY expensive to sort, it being a BMW (wiper motor + fitting cost her over £300 I seem to remember).
I was never a fan - it felt v solid but what really put me off was the appalling fuel economy, she is not a fast driver and struggled to get low 30s mpg in daily use for mixed driving. I suspect this has probably been resolved with the new engines in the "new" model which are PSA rather than the ancient crysler unit.>> I had a Mini Cooper S this year from new.