Driveshaft issues - stunorthants26
Just been reading through all the paperwork that came with my '94 Corsa.

Found an MOT advisory notice from 2004 stating that: Noise from NS driveshaft joint with suspension hanging ( requires attention ). NS outer driveshaft boot slight leak of grease.

There is above about 30 mph, a groaning noise that comes from the NSF wheel. At 45 it vibrates noticably above above that it smooths out but is still noticable.

Should I be worried? If so, what about and how much is it likely to cost?
The car has done 11,000 miles since the advisory in 2004 btw.
Driveshaft issues - piston power
Possible drive shaft universal joint is worn or wheel bearing, if the grease has leaked out of the boot then water will get in causing all the metal bearings to rust, these are cheap enough the last one i bought was £35.00 inc boot and takes no more than 1 hour to do, if the bearing is worn these are pressed in again not too expensive just require a big vice or press. good luck..
Driveshaft issues - pafosman
Oh, I wish I had known about this! Does this advisory apply to all models? I had an L reg 1.5 TD, poss the best car I've had. It started to make an awesome noise from the NSF wheel area so I advertised it for £200 ( fault admitted - you couldnt disguise it anyway) A guy turned up, drove it to to the end of the road and offered me cash. It had done 174.000 miles and we were both happy with the deal. Maybe I should have had it repaired and kept it some more. If I were you I would fix it and enjoy cheap and reliable motoring.
Papho
Driveshaft issues - Number_Cruncher
>>so I advertised it for £200

Not that long ago, good engines out of these cars would fetch £500 - £600 alone. Your buyer got a good deal!

Number_Cruncher
Driveshaft issues - piston power
Yes this applies to all fwd cars, cheap as chips on vauxhalls he got a great deal but you have lived & learned!!
Driveshaft issues - pafosman
I certainly have lived and learned! I've got another 1.5TD which now has only 122.000 on the clock, so far. IMHO they are a super little car. There may be some market for the S/H engines but anyone who pays £500 for an engine with 174k miles on it is need of medical help. Obviously this car will need replacing one day, if I could find a low mileage one I'd snap it up but they are like hens teeth. Perhaps I'd be better off to keep my mouth shut?
Papho