1999. Vibrating steering wheel & noise from wheels - rbleotw
Hi

i've got a 1999 BMW 316i. Just recently i have noticed that when driving at high speeds there is excessive noise from the front left wheel and passengers have said it vibrates? Also when i brake from high speeds the steering wheel begins to shudder. I think this is do with wheel alignment and possibly wheel bearing problems. Can anyone shed any light?
thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/05/2008 at 11:39

Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - Xileno {P}
Check nothing obvious is loose underneath. Then check the balancing.
Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - Screwloose

Particularly check that the wheelnuts aren't loose and that there isn't a huge lump in the tyre.
Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - Collos25
Wheel bearings and suspension bushes are notorious for causing problems on BMW's when the start to age,GSF stock just about every bush and suspension part you will require.
Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - rbleotw
Thanks for info. I think its the suspension bushes on their last legs. Am taking to garage to get sorted next week.
Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - Roger Jones
I don't know the model, but partially corroded disks can cause shuddering on braking.
Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - milkyjoe
could be brake disc warp caused by holding the brakes on after a long braking spell , because the pads reduce the heat from the disc dissipating at point of contact whilst the remaining portion of disc in free air cool quicker
Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - Halo
Bit late to reply to this post. I had almost the same symtoms on my BMW. It turned out to be a problem with the brake caliper not releasing immediately after applying the brakes.
Vibrating steering wheel and noise from wheels - ian2808
hi i have a 318ti doing the same thing. but it as if it taking the tyres of i have changed a few buses and tracking still the same