Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - bathtub tom
I recently spent a couple of hours in a Nissan service area reception (don't ask), and was surprised by the number of Navara owners asking when their motors would be ready.
It seems they have a problem around the rear half-shaft area - mentioned in HJ's car-by-car breakdown.
I heard the exasperated staff tell one customer that another owner had been waiting since June for parts to arrive to fix their car.
s

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 13/10/2007 at 20:59

Navaras - Are they really that bad? - OldSock
I have been assured that Japanese cars are paragons of reliability......
Navaras - Are they really that bad? - jase1
I have been assured that Japanese cars are paragons of reliability......

Nissans are not Japanese cars any more, any more than Seats are Spanish.
Navaras - Are they really that bad? - madf
Renault are a classic case of "F1 racing improves the cars"...........not.
Anyone who expects a Renault designed car to be reliable ought to have therapy...:-)
There is no need to search for proof... it's on this forum....

madf
Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - Milemuncher
l was assured by the manager of a Nissan dealership that half shaft problems were not a common fault.
However, l have one. Plus it seems that l am not alone.
After just 7 months and 29,000 miles mine sounds like you are towing an anchor !
As a courtesy car l was offered a note, clearly an equal car to the one l need for my daily business. NOT.
Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - Westpig
friend of mine has had 2.....both company cars.......needed to carry ladders etc (surveyor) and tow his speed boat

has had no end of trouble with things breaking at the back, had a replacement axle at one point on the first one (probably not helped by numerous dips in the sea)

his workshop told him that they were built for the American market , to be matched to a V8.. and that they can't handle the torque from a big turbo diesel in Europe.. no idea if that's true, but sounds possible
Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - Ruperts Trooper
his workshop told him that they were built for the American market , to be matched to a V8.. and that they can't handle the torque from a big turbo diesel in Europe.. no idea if that's true, but sounds possible >>

But V8s for the US have lots of torque as well - sounds like pinkfluffydice from the workshop.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 15:37

Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - JohnPug
The 4.0l V6 petrol american engine produces 281lb-ft, while the 2.5 CR diesel delivers 297lb-ft. Not really much in it.
Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - Nissan

Hi,

I got my new Navara Navara Outlaw Auto at 2006. I had a great time with it but it came with extremely high cost.

For 5 years and 96000 miles I've had replaced 13 half shafts, 1 axle, 1 turbo, 1 steering rack, 1 set of steering weel controls, 1 central locking component. I've never been in a garage before so many many times.

Last time I was at Nissan (3 weeks ago) they told me if the Navara was not covered by the warranty only the half shafts would cost me about GBP12000, turbo about GBP2000, I did not want to know about the rest.

A SELF RESPECTING CAR MANUFACTURER WOULD NEVER ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!

Otherwise the staff at the main dealer were quite friendly and helpful most probably because........ .

I will never ever by another Nissan again.

It's shame really because I liked this car very much and that was my 3th Nissan, the first one was Almera the gear box has gone after 81000miles.

Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - Nissanshame
I have a Nissan Navara, and 3 weeks after the 3 year warranty ran out both half shafts went giving a grinding noise as I steered. Now I accept that a manufacturer can;t be liable for a car forever but my Navara had only done 13,000 miles!!! I took it back to the Nissan garage who contacted Nissan and asked them as a goodwill gesture to sort without charge, but Nissan said no. I then got on to Nissan myself who made me jump through all sorts of hoops, and in the end they "denied" my case on the grounds that I had my Truck serviced at a non Nissan dealers. I pointed out this was an irrelevance because half shaft bearings are not checked by anyone in a standard service. This shut Nissan up other than to say the case was closed. I then became apparent that the Nissan Customer Care person did not really know what a Half Shaft was anyway!!! I asked to speak to someone senior at Nissan as i wanted to hear them say that they thought it was ok for both half shafts to crumble after just 13,000 miles. Nissan refused. i then took legal advice and informed Nissan that I would claim the money back through the small claims court as this is a manufacturing flaw in navaras. 2 days later they agreed to replace them free of charge. The customer care line was absolutely terrible and treated me as if i was some sort of free fraudster. Never did they show any sign of showing any customer care, and just went on the defensive form the word go. Much as I like the Navara, my experience with the Customer Care department has ensured that I will never buy a Nissan again!!!
Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - Nissan

Hi,

I got my new Navara Navara Outlaw Auto at 2006. I had a great time with it but it came with extremely high cost.

For 5 years and 96000 miles I've had replaced 13 half shafts, 1 axle, 1 turbo, 1 steering rack, 1 set of steering weel controls, 1 central locking component. I've never been in a garage before so many many times.

Last time I was at Nissan (3 weeks ago) they told me if the Navara was not covered by the warranty only the half shafts would cost me about GBP12000, turbo about GBP2000, I did not want to know about the rest.

A SELF RESPECTING CAR MANUFACTURER WOULD NEVER ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!!

Otherwise the staff at the main dealer were quite friendly and helpful most probably because........ .

I will never ever by another Nissan again.

It's shame really because I liked this car very much and that was my 3th Nissan, the first one was Almera the gear box has gone after 81000miles.

Are they really that bad? (Half shaft trouble) - splyd36

I saw this topic on Google search and thought I would give my side.

I've had a few Navaras, a D22 that covered 220k miles and my current 2009 D40 that has covered 128K miles. Both trouble free with just normal maintenance.

I cant say what I'm doing thats different to anyone else, or why Ive had trouble free motoring from them, but I have, and its certainly not because they were not used.

My current 2009 D40 I use every day, its not just a work vehicle, but my main vehicle also. Part of its daily journey is at least 1 trip up/down a rough track, to date I have had no steering problems, aside from tracking, which regular use on a bumpy track is to be expected.

I dont rev it hard and I keep my gear changes and clutch use smooth. I drive it like a truck. 2000rpm change gear, that sort of thing - I let the torque / turbo do the work. It gets serviced once a year and I check levels weekly. Every now and then I do an ECU reset to ensure I'm getting optimum mpg and performance.

I'm not saying anyone in this thread doesnt have valid complaints (I'd be livid judging by some of the Nissan problems!), but I thought it only fair to share my experience of this vehicle, which I enjoy driving and owning.