Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Cornish Lass
I have a red '97 Astra estate, which when we bought it were aware that it had some accident repairs in a "previous life". As it has aged, the drivers, door, wing and bonnet have oxidised far more than the rest of the car, which looks very good for its age. I have used T-cut in the past prior to polishing, which does help improve the finish for a short time, but removes an alarming amount of colour each time.

Is there a "foolproof" way for an amateur to improve the shine and colour and preserve this finish long term? I don't really want to resort to having these panels re-sprayed, but they really let the car down at the moment.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Ruperts Trooper
Red Vauxhalls fade, even more so in Cornwall. The accident repair may have used the original colour code or been expertly matched at the time, but probably won't match now due to different ageing.

I think you're between a rock and a hard place - live with the mismatch or fork out for a re-spray.

Light coloured metallic paint with a laquer coat on top is much better at coping with atmospheric degradation - I'd never have a darker solid colour again.
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - normd2
T-cut also comes in different colours which may help you - have a look in Halfords or similar.
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Saltrampen
Applying colour match polish/wax (Turtlewax) maybe once (or twice) every couple of months seems to work well. But if the paint work is too far gone for T cut and colour match polish, then respraying maybe the only remedy. But works well for moderate fade. Brother in Law in plymouth had a K reg Astra with this problem and more regular waxing seems to help. (Tried this with a fading red fiesta and I live in Cornwall as well).
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Victorbox
If you can spare the time & elbow grease I would use Autoglym Colour Restorer, then Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then if you are really keen, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Once you've got the colour back from the faded parts, a good coat of Autoglym Super Resin Polish once or twice a year will keep the chalky pink look away and protect the good paint as well.

Interesting article here www.woodsautomotive.co.uk/paintwash.htm
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - cheddar
Re Vauxhall reds, we have a local red '02 Corsa with badly faded bonnet and roof.
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Bill Payer
If you can spare the time & elbow grease I would use Autoglym Colour Restorer

>
If T-Cut is taking off a lot of paint each time, then the Autoglym stuff will rub it away completely - it's a lot more aggresive than T-Cut.

I've had this happen after a bonnet respray (from new) on a Peugeot. Once the red pigment is fading no amount of cutting will restore it - it's gone.

The only think was effective at disguising it was constant (like every fortnight) used of coloured polish. It was feasible on our car as only the bonnet was affected.
Top tip: Wear some kind of gloves when using the coloured polish!
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Victorbox
"then the Autoglym stuff will rub it away completely - it's a lot more aggresive than T-Cut."

Obviously you have to be sensible with any cutting compound. I've just come back from the Beaulieu Autojumble last weekend where the Autoglym stand was cutting back & polishing just one half of a faded red Volvo estate. The half they has just done looked like new.
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - neilo575
Red does tend to fade as it is "colour fast" basicly the pigment burns out over time to cause fade Neil
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Saltrampen
I saw a P reg Astra estate exactly as you describe passing through Victoria heading toward Roche at 5ish last night (Monday) . Either it is yours or this problem is very common!!
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Dynamic Dave
The reason why reds tend to fade faster than other colours is because of the pigments used in red paint are more susceptible to uv light from the sun and end up bleaching the pigment. This problem isn't just limited to Vauxhalls. Happens to lots of cars.
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - steveo3002
there wont be a permanent fix for it

chose a quality mild cleaner /polish and then use a wax often to try and protect it a little, then repolish every 6 months or so to try and maintain it
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - cheddar
DD you are right re UV etc, we had a 1990 Golf that had the same issue where as my red '93 Cav was OK at three years old however later red GM cars using water based paint do seem to be prone to this.
Blending in mis-matched paintwork - Hamsafar
A good bodyshop proprietor once told me never to use T-cut on red paint as it contains ammonia which causes the pigment to oxidise and turn white.