Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - y2k+4
Hi there,

As many of you may be aware, I am not satisfied with my 1.6 TDCi 110 LX Focus, 5dr 06-reg. Having paid £9,000 I actually consider it disappointing as an all-round car (handling inferior to old model, no real equipment e.g. computer, heated front screen, alloys etc, and the interior is a let down, feeling cheaper in areas than the old Focus), and I really need about £2,000 for other personal uses, so I have decided to sell the car. It has done 20,000 miles I was thinking I could get around £8,500 for it. Would this be correct in your opinion?

The car does about 12-15,000 miles a year and I want something reliable, excellent to drive, but economical too.

The replacement cars I am considering are: Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SXi 04-reg (new shape). I like the look of the new-shape Astra and having driven one it's much quieter than any Focus, but haven't heard great things about reliability/quality - lots of people have talked of clutch judder. And this model would be out of warranty...the one I've seen is £6,999 and has done 33,000 miles.

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Edge/Zetec (Climate) 5dr - I figure this will be economical and faster than my current Focus, being slightly more powerful and lighter. I know the handling of this shape Focus to be top-notch, and I've seen a 2005 54-plate Zetec Climate with 40,000 miles for £6,800. I like the security of having at least a few months warranty left...

Renault Clio Dynamique a/c 3dr - Smaller than the rest, but i drove one and liked it's stability and big-car feel, and it felt very responsive around town. Quite a lot of toys for the money too. Only driven the 1.4, and have found one an 06-reg for £6,600 with 10,000 miles, but I've also seen a 1.5 86bhp model for just £400 more, although with 30,000miles showing...not driven this model yet, but would I be right to assume it'll feel slow compared to the others?

Ford Focus 1.6 Ebony 3dr - this is the engine and shape I had before and liked, but the Ebony spec has heated leather seats, ABS and traction control, multi-change CD-player, improved styling. I've found a 2003 52-reg 35,000 mile one for £5,200, but lacks warranty, obviously.

If you were in my place which would you pick? The Ebony petrol Focus has my eye, simply cause it's so well equipped, and cheap, but likewise the other cars have their pluses and minuses, I guess I'm just wondering what other people's experiences long-term on any of these might reveal...and which they think is the soundest buy.
Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - MichaelR
If you are considering selling your Focus becuase you are unhappy with quality levels etc, then do not buy the Astra, becuase it is worse.

Your other complaints could have been fixed by buying a higher specification of Focus to begin with. Did you not check what the car had before you purchased it?
Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - y2k+4
Yeah but I didn't think it would bother me as much as it actually is. I was never keen on the design, and when I bought it was for the space, allegedly economical diesel (60mpg, yet even 50's never been seen) and reputation of the Focus handling which I had before - something I feel has been lost, yet the tyre roar remains (I don't see the refinement-handling trade-off as a particularly good one).

What is actually supposed to be wrong with the new Astras then?
Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - Scott H
Not sure what to suggest, but that 1.6 Focus is at least £1k overpriced, having had a quick check on autotrader. Don't be fooled into paying over the odds for toys and some leather, on a very common car, that's almost 5 years old - that would be my only advice!
Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - ForumNeedsModerating
Not sure how you think you can get 8.5K for something you paid 9K for. However, that aside, you're putting about 2-2.5K in the hands of car dealers - whatever you do, and getting an older higher mileage for it. Is that good business? You're aim is to generate 2K, but what you propose will give away more in frictional sell/buy costs.

Either borrow 2K from a bank @ 7%, or don't buy that fitted kitchen (or holiday, B&O stereo etc)

Good advice, no charge this time!

Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Take woodbines' advice - he is bang on. Changing your car now will just be throwing money down the drain.
Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - freakybacon
How about doing as I did? Buying what you want on a credit card then doing a balance transfer to a 0% card deal? As for changing the car, thats gonna cost a lot in the long run- you must really hate that focus.
Car choice dilemma - £5-7k - rich66
Hello, here are my thoughts -

1. I agree that the new focus is a bit disappointing. It's a good car but too heavy and so lacks the fun of the old model. I think I might end up buying one.
2. £9k for it doesn't sound bad to me though. I thought diesels were more expensive than this. I normally buy private and pay whatever Parkers says for a good example.
3. The new focus is the best of a bad bunch. It is the safest according to EURONCAP (even amongst 5* cars). The 1.6 diesel is a peugeot engine but shame about the economy.
4. I personally found the new Astra (1.6) very enjoyable to drive indeed (a bit like the old focus) but the road noise was terrible (wide tyres) and worse than the new focus for me.
5. Are these replacement focuses all the old model? It sounds like it, but I think they are overpriced as stated by other posters.
6. Renaults are known for ownership problems.

In conclusion here's what I would do -

1. Keep your existing car as it is.
OR
2. Get some eibach springs and possibly dampers fitted to it. The guys on the focus forums rave about how these improve the handling. You don't need to be a boy racer. Ford fit them as an option on new cars.
OR
3. Buy a 2003 Zetec climate for about £4500.
OR
4. Knock the price down on the Ebony 3dr. Still no heated front screen though.

I'm guessing you would be happiest with the Ebony. Or maybe even a Golf (nice interior)?