216 (honda) won't start - victor2
I started my 92 rover 216, Honda engine with no problem and then stalled it after about 3 -4 seconds. It would then not start. I tried cranking it several times. I then for some reason - don't ask me why pressed the inertia switch down - I though the juddering might have affected it - no luck. I then removed the spark plugs and found them wet and smelling of fuel. I then bought a new set of plugs and fitted them - no luck. I then cranked the engine with a plug earthed to the engine block but couldn't see a spark. I'm not sure how good an earth it was but I tried this several times.

I was wondering if the inertia switch cuts out the ignition or just the fuel pump on these models - ie can I assume that my pressing the inertia switch has nothing to do with the car not starting - after all if it is pressed then that is the position that it should be anyway. I did feel it click and when I subsequently press it I can feel no click.

Ruling out the inertia switch - would stalling the car have any effect on any ignition components like the igniter unit or the ecu.

When I turn on the ignition I can also hear a hissing sound that comes from the region of the fuel injection components. This lasts for a bout two seconds and then dies away.

Do you think all this unburnt fuel may have an effect on the catalyst if and when it finally starts?

I would be grateful for any hints

s
216 (honda) won't start - Screwloose
Victor

The inertia switch only interrupts the fuel pump circuit. Lack of spark would suggest a distributor issue on these engines - just about everything is packed into there.

You'll need some very detailed info to carry out any testing - or try a second-hand unit.

The cat should survive OK.
216 (honda) won't start - injection doc
distributor common factor, as screwloose say's I would concentrate on that area. Coils in dizzy fail & so do spark igniter packs. Try for a s/hand one
Doc
Thanks for those two messages - I do happen to have some spare parts for the rover which include a distributor and all the internal bits which I know were working, should I replace the entire distributor or some of the component parts do you think?
Victor

The whole unit.
Thanks for that, one other thing - I have access to a scrapped car - does anyone know what the PGFM main relay looks like and where it is - I've heard that this is another weak point. I'd like to remove this.

With the distributor - do I replace it with the rotor arm etc in an identical position - ie is it impossible to make a mistake with the timing if I do this?

Thanks
Victor

It's been many years since I've seen one of these; so I've only got a feeling that the relay module is in the centre console. If you're gettting fuel - leave that for later.

Have a look at the replacement dizzy; it'll likely be an off-set dog drive that's fairly idiot-proof. Fit the body in exactly the same place as the old one [mark the alignment of something obvious on both] and you will need to re-check the timing with a timing light afterwards.
216 (honda) won't start - SaabFanatic
My money's on the fuel injection system Main Relay, or failing that, the ignitor module; see the easy diagnostic stuff I've posted at:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=53...2

216 (honda) won't start - Robin the Technician
When was it last started prior to this?

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
It started, then I accidentally stalled it after 2-3 seconds of running, after that it wouldn't start. This was yesterday.

I have managed to remove the igniter unit from the spare distributor. This one is only about 5-6 years old and is a Hitachi make and looks in good condition. I decided to do this because I didn't want to risk putting the timing out. I think I found the PGFM main relay - this one was a black unit about the same size of an ashtray and it was underneath the centre console.

It is too dark to fit the igniter tonight so will see if it is the culprit tomorrow.

Bit puzzling that stalling the car would induce an igniter unit failure though.

216 (honda) won't start - SaabFanatic
Did you listen for the correct sequence of clicks from the Main Relay as per my previous link? This is a mechanical problem (dry-soldered joint leading to intermittent contact) so it's not impossible that an abrupt stall has jolted an already iffy contact loose.

From memory the Main Relay is a bit smaller than you describe - follow my link to the online Honda workshop manual and look for "Concerto" (which is basically what the 200 is), you'll see clear diagrams.

The Teggers.com link is excellent, it describes in detail how the MR is supposed to work, and why it usually doesn't after a while...
216 (honda) won't start - Robin the Technician
What i meant to ask is - is this vehicle in daily use?

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
I had used the car for the three days, doing 20 mile trips each day, then the day after that it broke down. Prior to the three days I hadn't used it for four days. I have had it for about three months and it has a full service history and seems to have been well maintained. I do around 120 miles a week.

What I thought was the main relay I now know not to be the case. It is situated under the centre console and I will look through the box of spares to locate it. I'll listen to the clicks. I've nearly got to the stage of undoing the bolts that hold the igniter onto the distributor - but this is a bit tricky in situ, and I ran out of time - I will update everyone when I manage to do this
Well I fixed it!

I decided that I needed to invest in a professional screwdriver set from Halfords with good ribber grip handles, as the screw/bolts that hold the igniter unit to the distributor body are difficult to get and could strip easily. I had also soaked them in WD40 for a few days. The screwdriver set is free at the moment with 5L of Halfords own semi synth oil - made by Comma - I have used it before with no problems, although I use Magnatec these days - although I noticed that they have reduced the size down AGAIN to 4L.

I cleaned up the distributor contacts and rotor which were corroded and dirty, removed a black plastic cover to gain access to the igniter unit which was mounted with two bolts and had 4 wires coming out of it. I also noticed a clear grease inside the distributor casing. I replaced the unit and reassembled everything and it started 1st time - very satisfying 30 minute job - Think it's better to do it this way than removing the whole unit as there's no need to re - time it.

The old unit had'98' written on the back of it. and had a cover that wasn't air or water tight. The replacement secondhand unit was a Hitachi unit that had been fitted to the donor car about 7 years ago by Rover. It was fully sealed and looked of much higher quality. Inside the unit looked ok and the circuit board was covered in the mysterious clear greas that I found elsewhere! I noticed an orange stain covering part of it.

So recommend anyone with a non start with no spark to look at this. They are very good cars with few problems - but tis looks like it is the most common - although ones that have been fixed with better quality replacement igniter will probably be ok

Thanks for everyones tips, I have learned a lot through this experience.

Victor2
Victor 2 [wasn't that the FB?]

Glad to hear that you've sorted it. Satisfying - isn't it?

So Halfords are giving away pro-quality screwdriver sets with a gallon of oil - and I paid £38 each for some of mine.....
Yes 8 screwdrivers - they normally sell them for 19.99 - I thought it was a deal - especially as mine weren't up to it and I knew I'd have one chance with those screws.

Very satifying - and free! The wife told me I shouldn't have bought such an old car and told me to put it in the garage.

Didn't get FB though - can you elaborate?

Victor2
216 (honda) won't start - Pugugly {P}
Vauxhall Victor Mk1 was the FA
Mk2 FB etc.
Ah yes I remember, I used to have a viva HC - now that really was easy to fix! - I miss those old ohv cars. Had a Humber Sceptre (Hunter), MGB, Herald. Then MK2 Jag, Daimler250V8, XJS, Silvia, then Concerto and two 216 Rovers. I like these Rovers - cheap and reliable - wouldn't like to be in a crash in one though.

Victor was the name of my old ginger cat - poor thing - same colour as the viva.