Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - Drivethru
I have had the same four tyres on my Micra for over five years, they have done about 17,000 miles and are still legal. Would it be advisable to at least change the front two after this length of time.
s
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - Simon
The sensible head would say yes, but the econmic head would say no. Is there any visible problem with them or do they still look okay? What I mean is there is sign of them perishing or cracking on the sidewalls? If it was me and they seem in good order then I would leave them be and get some more miles out of them.
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - 1066
do they look good with no visible wear or marks on walls. you need to check the inside walls at this age as ive seen some really dangerous tyres that looked great until you saw the inner walls
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - Ruperts Trooper
Tyres should be replaced within 7 years of date of manufacture due to deterioation from atmospheric and sunlight causes - regardless of their apparent external condition. Given the time spent in storage at manufacturer and assembly plant, 6 years is a reasonable time.

They will, of course, be inspected as part of the annual MOT test.
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - milkyjoe
i was driving a tractor last week with a trailor on the back and the tyres are over 30 years old ... do i win a bag of sweets?
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - bell boy
no you dont
and get orf moi larnd

i wouldnt change the tyres if an inspection of the outer casings caused no concerns
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - Simon
>>i wouldnt change the tyres if an inspection of the outer casings caused no concerns

Neither would I.

Which brings me on to one of the family cars that I look after. It belongs to my grandmother and only does about 1000 miles per year (if that). Not so many years back each time it went for its annual MOT it would get an advisory on the condition of the tyres, not the wear but the fact that they were beginning to crack slightly on the side walls. I think it went through about four MOT's and came out with the same advisory each time before they eventually got changed for some new tyres.

My point is that your five year old tyres will most likely be fine and there was some mutterings a few years ago about making a tyres age count as part of the MOT test. Until they bring that in then I am perfectly happy to run with aged tyres until they start to show signs of being unroadworthy.
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - madf
I presume with low mileage you only drive around town/short and slow journeys.

If you did prolonged hi speed motorway work you might get blowouts... (I did on old tyres..)

Otherwise I would just inspect tyre walls for splits and bulges every 3 months...
madf
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - Bill Payer
I would also take into account how long you intend to keep the car.
I just changed they tyres on Mrs BP's Jazz at 4yrs old as they won't last another year but we will probably change the car in 1-2 years time, so my thinking was we might as well get some benefit from the new tyres now. I also didn't want to go into autumn / winter with tyres that were well worn.
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - quizman
i was driving a tractor last week with a trailor on the back and the
tyres are over 30 years old ... do i win a bag of sweets?

No you do not, I have a trailor which has tyres on it which were used during WW2. They are on American wheels.

Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - Cliff Pope
SNIPQUOTE
No you do not I have a trailor which has tyres on it which were
used during WW2. They are on American wheels.

I have two dated 1954. A vintage tyre supplier said they were perfectly safe because the inner tubes, red, were made of natural rubber and would last indefinitely. Modern synthetic rubber deteriorates.
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - piston power
I would swap them around put the best meat to the front then when they wear it will probably be time to change all four, i have noticed when car's go in for a service they don't swap them around anymore maybe so they wear out faster to get more money out of us!!
On fwd, best tyres on rear is rule.
madf
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - GregSwain
Bearing in mind you're only doing 3k a year, I'd be tempted to put a set of cheap budget tyres on in the near future, especially if you use dual carrageways/motorways. Should be able to find somewhere that'll provide a full set for around £100. (Tigar, Trayal, Federal or similar which are perfectly good tyres for your needs).

Other posters are waffling about 1950s crossply tyres with inner tubes, but yours are modern synthetic radials which crack, bulge, and ultimately blow-out if they're not in good condition.
Watch out for valves failing.

1950s tyres are great for 1950s cars driven at 1950s speeds
madf
Tyres - Should I change them after five years ? - honeybear
I got 4 155/75/13 for my micra from Kwik Fit valves,balance etc for £110, they will probably outlive the car as I only use it as a run around for 2500 miles a year,if you go on QFits web site they will give you a quote you print this off and take it to your local outlet and they honour it. I do not rate them in general but in my area no one else could beat the price they offered for a similar product.