Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - BobbyG
My 75 year old dad currently drives a 2.0 hdi Y Reg Peugeot 806. He is having problems with it that I will be posting in Technical shortly but I can see this ultimately leading to him having to change the car.

He currently tows a caravan that he would like to continue towing but may accept that his towing days are behind him (he also has a static caravan on a site). So to the criteria

Automatic Diesel - a must (doesn't want petrol)
Cruise Control
As many "toys" as possible
High Driving position - a must
Preferably 3 individual folding seats in back (he likes to picnic a lot and folds the middle seat for their "table" - I know I know but it makes him happy!

BIL has a Doblo, dad likes this but don't think its available with the toys on it. He also likes the Kangoo / Berlingos etc but not sure if any of these come fully laden with all the toys?

I have suggested he may need to look at Scenics etc to meet all his requirements.

All suggestions / thoughts much appreciated!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - Avant
Bobby - it looks as if a Scenic is the only one that ticks all his boxes. Diesel + auto is the problem. The C4 Picasso has a semi-automatic with the 2.0 dlesel which isn't well reviewed but he may want to try it.

If the Peugeot has put him off French cars, he may be a bit stuck. Ford are about to bring in a diesel automatic- at last - but I'm not sure whether it's going oto be fitted into the C-Max, which would be another possibility, although many toys are extra, even on the Titanium.

I nearly forgot the VW Touran DSG - the 2.0 TDI is the one to go for if he can afford it.
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - GregSwain
Automatic diesel MPV = Kia Carens. No it's not got a fancy badge but it'll do what he wants and more besides. The only point I'm not 100% sure about is cruise control, but the top-of-range models tend to be very generously equipped so you never know!
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - a900ss
Ford have just released the S-max in auto diesel form as well.

That ticks all the boxes.
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - Ruperts Trooper
Diesel automatic narrows the field at a stroke, it's also what I want.

Get a copy of What Car, the listing shows where auto is available on a diesel variant OR use HJ's Motor Match, just on the left here, although it's not up to date.
Thanks for suggestions so far, meant to say that if he changes cars then he would be looking to downsize from the 806 size to more Scenic / Berlingo size.

Avant, he is not put off by French cars, in fact , the opposite applies, he is very loyal to Peugeot!!!

Goes back to when he had a series of Cortina company cars and then got a 504 Family estate and he thought it was the bees knees! Then onto a 505 saloon, Carlton saloon. Cavalier hatchback, 306 hatch, 306 sedan, Scenic then the 806 which is a car he had just always promised himself!
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - Happy Blue!
Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento??
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - rogue-trooper
thing that I didn't like about the S-Max that I had on hire was that the A pillar was very very obtrusive. also with advancing years (I know that 75 is not decrepit) is the S-Max the best choice as it is wider than a lot of others such as the Scenic?
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - LHM
Not sure if the diesel auto is available at the moment, but the Hyundai i30 looks largely suitable for your father's needs.
Recommend possible new cars for my dad? - bintang
The new Skoda Fabia is built like a brick chicken house and I believe the "3" version has cruise control.
An update on this, he has now accepted that trying to get an automatic diesel is narrowing his choice too far and if he gives up towing a caravan, annual mileage will be approx 10k so doesn't justify diesel.

Two that he has his eye on just now are a 307SW 1.6 auto SE with all the toys and a Skoda Roomster 3 1.6 Auto with all the necessary toys as well. He feels the Skoda ticks the boxes for him as he is looking for a boxy type vehicle (Kangoo, Doblo, berlingo style but they don't seem to come in Automatic which is very surprising!).

Anyone got any experience of the Roomster 3 Semi Auto?
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS