Service tool `locked` service lights, latest info? - oilrag
What is the *latest info* on service lights being locked into dealer special tools?

I thought Block Exemption meant that software had to be made available to independents? But have been hearing ( allegedly) that new Fiats are locked to their own diagnostic tool re the service light and independents cant turn it off, following their service.

Is this true and are other new cars the same? If so whats the future for the small independent?

Service tool `locked` service lights, latest info? - Gromit {P}
If so, what's the future for FIAT? Many buyers are wary enough of the marque already, without being tied to the cost of main dealer service for the life of the vehicle...
Service tool `locked` service lights, latest info? - Screwloose

It's not only the dealers tools that can reset them. The Stilo has caused a lot of problems in this area , but the more expensive aftermarket tools are starting to cover those now.

It's the move away from manual process reset [push-and-hope dash buttons] that's sparked the furore; many filter-spinners were thinking that they didn't need to spend £10,000 on scan-tools and that they could keep coining it from changing oil forever....

Service tool `locked` service lights, latest info? - Aprilia
many filter-spinners were thinking that they didn't need to spend £10 000 on scan-tools and
that they could keep coining it from changing oil forever....

I don't think many independents are 'coining it' by doing oil and filter changes. That's more within the remit of the main dealers' £150 oil-and-filter 'services'.

Let's remember that the service indicators were originally designed as service **reminders** to help the owner in keeping his car regularly serviced. This concept has now been altered and the service indicators are being used by manufacturers as a mechanism of control to ensure the customer has to use main dealers for basic servicing.
Virtually all modern cars have simple servicing requirements for the first three years - fluids and filters - no reason for the car to be hooked up to £10k scanner unless there is a fault. This is technology, paid for by the consumer, being used to increase profits at the expense of the consumer.
Service tool `locked` service lights, latest info? - Pugugly {P}
Aprilia, a BMW (Motorrad) Dealer actually coughed that to me once in almost the same terms....why do I trust Bike dealers more than car dealers ??
Service tool `locked` service lights, latest info? - bell boy
..why do I trust Bike dealers more than car dealers ??

> easy they are mainly run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts for the benefit of enthusiasts

do i pass?
Service tool `locked` service lights, latest info? - Pugugly {P}
You're probably right....!