TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - Monaghan
I am experiencing a strange noise when accelerating, this occurs in all gears, for a few seconds after changing gear (until the revs increase). The only way to avoid this is to hold a lower gear for much longer than usual before changing up. However to do this means that I can only use 4th gear at 40mph , 5th gear at 60mph and 6th gear at 70mph

The noise sounds like a vibration but it may be something else.

There is also a smell of unburnt fuel. I do not know if this is connected to the noise problem or something separate.

Any suggestions what the likely problem is?
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - Screwloose
Monaghan

That vibration could be a misfire. Coupled with the fuel smell, I'd take a look at the injector area - one could have cracked and be leaking.
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - carl233
I am sorry to say that injector replacement is not cheap on these engines. There are major problems with these items and Ford will not own up to this.
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - injection doc
"There are major problems with these items and Ford will not own up to this." I appreciate that a lot of people are experiencing problems with the fuel injection & there are a huge number of frustrated owners struggling with this set up but I do wonder if it is fuel related ( as in type of fuel purchased) I have had numerous TDCi's & towed heavy caravans for extreme periods at almost full throttle & only had one injector ever loose its coding. I have strictly aderred to fords advice & only used BP fuel & kept every reciept. This has mean't at times difficulty in obtaining BP & had to go to some extremes. All fords are sold with very specific advice on types of fuel to buy including additional information in the service book & leaflets. Now I'm not saying this is the answer but could it be an underlying problem. I have friends who have TDCis & stick to one brand & like me never experience a problem. I do make regular use of snake oil addative ( aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh I hear ) in the fuel.
Prehaps it may be a good idea to see if there is a pattern as to where motorists buy fuel. I do know for a fact a dealer in one area can have endless problems with a particular make of car & in another area they don't see the same faults occuring in the same vehicle!
Regards Doc
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - bell boy
i am very wary of a few garages in my vicinity for selling fuel with added water content,i can assure you that i havent frequented them in 20 years,i know the garages i trust and i stick with them just like i buy my meat from a very local local butcher
i also do not will not and only once in the past 5 years have used supermarket petrol and only then because they gave me 5 pence a litre off
probably no help but its what i do do
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - cheddar
I am sorry to say that injector replacement is not cheap on these engines. There
are major problems with these items and Ford will not own up to this.

Rubbish, TDCi problems are reported but there are absolutely stacks of them on the roads in Transits to X-Types so problems are no worse than average.
The TDCi has clip-on fuel return pipes on each injector, if one of these is loose then that would explain the smell and is simply a matter of clipping it back on and carefully cleaning the spilt fuel.

If there are no warning lights and performance is OK then perhaps the vibration is unconnected, could be a mounting, could be clutch which would be expensive though I dont think the symptoms would be the same in each gear.
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - oldtoffee
Could be the aux belt tensioner and crank pulley (relatively inexpensive compared to injectors at an independent) or maybe the intercooler pipe bracket that vibrates on the chassis (very cheap fix) - quite a lot of useful advice on fordmondeo dot org.

If the vibration is in the 1800 to 2000 rev band then that could point to an injector issue - a recognised problem on the TDCis - I sort of have it on mine but it has improved hugely after three tank fills of Shell diesel and double doses of Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 (for Euro4 and 3 engines).
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - Monaghan
Thanks for all your responses. I succeeded in getting a road test today with one of the workshop people from my local main dealer...

He says he knows this particular noise and says it can be resolved by a "modification" to the air intake bracket, likely cost £80-£85 providing no parts are needed. Does this sound reasonable or would I be better going independent?

He says the fuel smell must be something else - it will need further investigation by his workshop.
Mondeo TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - oldtoffee
I think if you have confidence in the guy and the main dealer then give them a chance. If you're not sure, ask around to find a good local independent and get their view on it together with a cost which is very likely to be less. By way of example, my local independent charges £175 for the big service (all filters) with genuine Ford parts and the Ford main dealers in my area quoted £265 to £290.
He says he knows this particular noise and says it can be resolved by a
"modification" to the air intake bracket likely cost £80-£85 providing no parts are needed. >>

This is fine, there is a known issue with the intake pipe vibrating against the subframe.

this sound reasonable or would I be better going independent?

>>

Better to stay in the Ford loop IMO, goodwill may be worth much more that a few pounds saved in labour costs.

He says the fuel smell must be something else - it will need further investigation
by his workshop.

Fair enough, suggest that a fule return pipe of one of the injectors may have come partially unclipped, you could even look for this yourself if you have an idea what to look for.
TDCi 2004: strange noise when accelerating - dirty diesel
hi i have a 2004 mondeo tdci 130 zetec i also had the same noise on acceleration i took mine to t.c.harrison ford at burton up on trent and it was found to be the intercooler pipe work this cost 85quid for the repair hope this information helps

Edited by Pugugly on 08/06/2008 at 13:49