Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - steveb
Hi,

Can anyone help regarding differentiating the power of the Boxer engine in these cars. I can see from the car-by-car breakdown that 2006 models have the higher power (163bhp) engine, however what are the differences when looking at the engine etc ?

Thanks,

Steve
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - qxman {p}
Hi

I am due to collect a brand new Impreza tomorrow which has this engine. I have been told that its a four-cam engine, the old one was only two-cam. So I guess the cambelt cover will be wider at the cylinder heads. Also I have been told that the old engine used a MAP (pressure sensor) to measure engine load, whereas the new one uses a MAF (air flow meter). So there should be a large MAF unit in the air intake pipe. Also the newer models are designated with an R i.e. 2.0R instead of 2.0i.
I test drove the Impreza with this engine and it goes very nicely indeed and is very smooth and punchy even up to high RPM and sounds nice when you get above 3000rpm, it really wakes up then. I suppose it would not have quite the same performance in the heavier Legacy bodyshell.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - nick62
In May this year I brought a 10K miles a 55 plate tourer 2.0R which has the latest engine, (registered December 2005). My brother has a 55 plate Impreza GX and this has the older engine. The cam covers on mine are larger due to this engine being a DOHC type as stated by the prevoius post (they have a squarer profile). Indeed the general layout of the engine (various hoses and ancillary items, etc.) is totally different on the two engines, although this may also be due to them being two different car types!

I would look under the bonnet of an 05 plate which should have the older engine, then you will have something to compare with (take a digital camera).
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - Happy Blue!
But apart from all the peripherals being different, the engines are of a similar architechture I think. Aprillia knows much more than all of us, so wait for him to come in on the thread.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - nick
Lucky you qxman, can you let us know you get on?
Lucky you qxman can you let us know you get on?

Yes, I will.

I am collecting from Hull tomorrow (newregcars.co.uk). Its a UK-spec import from Malta. I factory-ordered it earlier this year, and it arrived with them a few weeks back, but I asked them to keep it until tomorrow so I get a '57 plate. They have been helpful and professional so far.
At a tad over £12k with RFL and metallic paint etc I think its a bit of a bargain. I chose it just to have something a bit different from the 'usual' Focus/Astra/Golf hatches, and of course its very good value IMHO. Its mainly going to be used as a shopping/commuting "traffic-jammer" doing short journeys so I couldn't really justify the extra running costs of a turbo. I did test drive one first, of course, and was most impressed with the performance from the 160bhp engine, not to mention good handling and a surprisingly good (to me) ride quality. I did think about waiting for the new Impreza hatch which has just come out, but was not at all keen on the preview pictures. It looks like a Kia or something. I think Subaru lost the plot with that one.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - OldHand
. I did think about waiting for
the new Impreza hatch which has just come out but was not at all keen
on the preview pictures. It looks like a Kia or something. I think Subaru lost
the plot with that one.

The prospective owner of a non-turbo 'hawkeye' Impreza commenting that Subaru lost the plot on the styling of the new car! Whatever next

Is your car undersealed properly and supplied with a CAT 1 alarm/immobiliser and locking wheel nuts? If not I'd get it done/buy some munto pronto.

Thankfully I think IM are now forced to recognise your warranty, there was an issue with these non EU supplied cars.

Anyway good luck with the car although as I've said before a non-Turbo Impreza is pretty much a non-event IMO. Can't quite understand why anyone who doesn't need AWD would compromise with a car that does pretty poor MPG, is ugly as sin, has the interior from a mid-90's Tokyo taxi cab and doesn't even handle all that well (unless you think masses of grip and masses of understeer are fun).
It's nice to know you're not the type of pee on anyone's parade, OldHand :-)
that's 'to' not 'of', obviously. Brain works quicker than fingers, or is it the other way round?
It's nice to know you're not the type to........

I don't think he'll give two hoots about my opinion. Many people on here seem to like slow cars, that's their prerogative. Maybe he needs AWD? It's just that in my opinion the non-turbo cars aren't worth the compromise over the real deal. Horses for courses is an aphorism that springs to mind.

The other comments about non-EU sourced cars is probably worth finding out about if the poster doesn't already know. Sometimes these cars ARE undersealed but not to the same standard as a UK sourced car.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - Lud
Many people on here seem
to like slow cars that's their prerogative.

I am afraid that cruising legally up and down the Fulham Road at 170mph has spoiled you a bit OldHand.

A non-turbo 2-litre Impreza may not be a fast car by modern standards, but it is an exaggeration surely to call it a slow one? My guess is that it would beat most other 150-160bhp boxes across country without undue effort.

I think you like to tease people.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - daveyjp
"there was an issue with these non EU supplied cars"

Oldhand, I suggest you check details before offering duff advice.

Malta has been in the EU since 2004

europa.eu/abc/european_countries/eu_members/malta/...m
Thanks for that Davey, I must read the posts properly, it's something I dislike when others don't bother
I'm aware Malta is in the EU for some reason I assumed the car was supplied via the Canary Islands like many other imports.
Again many thanks for drawing that to my attention, it's much appreciated.

That said many Maltese imports still don't have the proper underseal, alarm or locking wheel nuts so the advice isn't all bad.
Whether that may be true or not the Impreza suffers from drivetrain losses due to it's all wheel drive. I don't think I'm incorrect in saying one would be easily beaten by a modest turbo diesel in gear- say a Mondeo TDCI 130. I'd imagine the Impreza owner would have to thrash it to bits just to keep up.

That's slow in my book I'm afraid. The cross country ability of one may even matters up, particularly in the wet, despite what you might hear on here a car which understeers heavily and has overlight steering is hardly a 'tool' in the twisties.

Last time I checked the Ballamodha straight wasn't the Fulham Road and I'd never advocate unsafe speed of any sort.....
I don't think he'll give two hoots about my opinion.

Too right OldHand. I've read some of your other posts.

For general information -----the car is EU-sourced and yes, cars come undersealed and have alarm and set of McGard wheel nuts. Eu-wide 3 year warranty is honoured by Subaru UK. I checked with them before ordering.

I test drove a WRX and the RX so I know what I am buying and what the differences are. General ride, handling and going around corners feels very very similar, if not identical. Obviously there is no turbo thrust though. For the use the car will be put to it is just not worth me paying the higher running costs of a turbo (insurance premium is doubled, for a start and then £400 road tax each year), the car will spend most of its life in 30-50mph roads. It feels brisk enough to drive and is at least as quick as the 'non performance' variant of Focus, Astra, Auris and for less money. We tried an Auris 1.6 VVT and an Astra 2.0 turbo and were not that impressed with either. The Auris was disappointing to drive and the Astra does not feel at all quick for a turbo car and has very hard and flat seats which left me with a numb bottom. Both are probably more practical being hatches.

There is a test drive report of the Impreza 2.0R on Yahoo uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/suba...l

I read this before I had a two hour test and I largely agreed with what the tester says. I found it very enjoyable to drive and a bit different to the average small car. For £12k is a very good deal as far as I am concerned at the moment, but I will update when I have had it a while.
I'm interested to see that the car is to full UK spec and that Subaru UK will honour the 3 year warranty. It makes these deals very attractive.
Yes, I thought so, not slow at all. With 2wd you might wring another 5mph at the top end, but that's not what it's about. 130 is quite rapid by most people's standards, and 8 seconds to 60 isn't bad either. More to the point, the thing has sound basic engineering rather than posh trim, and the handling can be fine-tuned to suit the driver at modest cost (see other threads here). For a rational person of limited means in this country I can't think of a better new car buy. I'd love one.
Yes I thought so not slow at all. With 2wd you might wring another 5mph
at the top end but that's not what it's about. 130 is quite rapid by
most people's standards and 8 seconds to 60 isn't bad either. More to the point
the thing has sound basic engineering rather than posh trim and the handling can be
fine-tuned to suit the driver at modest cost (see other threads here). For a rational
person of limited means in this country I can't think of a better new car
buy. I'd love one.

In gear these cars are slow, it isn't about top end. The drivetrain losses from AWD mean these cars make pretty poor wheel horsepower figures which is what matters. The 0-60 is flattering due to these cars undoubted fantastic traction levels. In the 'real world' mid range diesels are going to leave you floundering on the motorway. Not my idea of 'sporty'.

A rational person of limited means would buy a used Turbo and enjoy the proper experience. The penny pincher would probably be better off in Fiat Panda*

*please note I think Fiat Pandas are great cars- this isn't denigrating them.
Eu-wide 3 year warranty is honoured by Subaru UK.
I checked with them before ordering.

There is no 3 year warranty as far as I know. It's a 2 year warranty with the 3rd year being backed by the dealer. Maybe you know better? You certainly seem to think so.

2 year warranties are the norm in Europe.

As for there being no difference in handling between the turbo and normally aspirated- you're dreaming. Not that a standard WRX is all that red hot...............
"for some reason I assumed the car was supplied via the Canary Islands"

Which are also in the EU.
Are they? I thought they were an 'autonomous community' of Spain outside the EU which is why normal customs rules didn't apply last time I went there. Maybe you can check up and report your findings? If you're wrong I imagine your apology will be humble and sincere.
.*********
There is no 3 year warranty as far as I know. It's a 2 year
warranty with the 3rd year being backed by the dealer. Maybe you know better? You
certainly seem to think so.

Yes I do know better. I think you are just stirring up. Its a 3-year EU-wide warranty. I have it in black and white right here from Subaru UK. I am a very cautious buyer and so I checked thoroughly with Subaru UK before paying my deposit. All Subarus sold in the EU have a manufacturer backed 3 year warranty [60,000 miles or 100,000km], 3 years external (paint) warranty and 12 years rust-through warranty. All claims are treated the same across the EU no matter which dealer the car was brought from. What you do not get is the roadside assistance package which is paid for by the uk importer. You also have to pay for the labour on the first service, which is free if you buy a uk-supplied car.
As for there being no difference in handling between the turbo and normally aspirated- you're
dreaming. Not that a standard WRX is all that red hot...............

Would you care to explain the difference then please. I drove them back to back on the same day and same roads and no discernable difference. The suspension and undercarriage looks exactly the same. I think I would chicken out before any serious understeer sets in (not that I doubt that these cars understeer) but you would have to be driving very fast and braver than me or be on a poor road surface to really experience it.
"I thought they were an 'autonomous community' of Spain"

They are

"outside the EU"

They aren't.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - Pendlebury
Where's Aprilia ?????
Away advising someone perhaps.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - barchettaman
Japan I reckon. Think he said he was off on a trip there.
Japan I reckon. Think he said he was off on a trip there.

Yes, not bad for a 'grease monkey'. ;-)
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - Aprilia
>> Japan I reckon. Think he said he was off on a trip there.
>>
Yes not bad for a 'grease monkey'. ;-)

LOL! Indeed. No, not Japan yet (that's at the end of this month and early Oct) but I have been over to a little job at a component supplier in Germany (Bayern), and enjoying some Weisswurst, Suess-senf and Weissbier - delightful!

Anyway, I reckon OldHand is making a bid for 'embarrasing uncle' in the BR. Somewhat boorish, lacking credibility and given to trying to cause trouble.......
The cockeyed comments on Subaru warranty were presumably calculated to unsettle to purchaser on the eve of collecting his new car. Very nice.

Anyway, here is the info:

Subaru have never used dealer-based warranties. All warranty in the EU is manufacturer-backed (parts and labour ultimately charged back to Fuji in Japan). Warranty is 3 years. In 2005 IM (International Motors - the UK's 'official' Subaru importer) got a little peeved with all the imports coming in at 30% under their list and so decided to get stroppy. They refused to administer warranty claims originating from cars they hadn't supplied (despite the fact that they and their dealers obviously make a profit from this work). Fortunately Subaru Japan could see the damage that this might do to the brand (not to mention courting trouble with the EU competition authorities) and gave Subaru-UK a well aimed kick up the backside - and clarified the warranty conditions to leave no doubt that ALL EU-supplied cars have the same 3-year warranty, valid anywhere in the EU. So long as you have your book, you have a warranty - this applies wherever you take the car.

When the buyer picks up his EU-import Subaru it will NOT have the service/warranty book with it, this initially stays with the overseas dealer. When he receives his V5c he should check the VIN and date of 1st reg are correct and then photocopy the V5c and also some form of personal ID (passport). These should then be sent to the original EU supplying dealer who will check the VIN and insert the 1st reg date as the start of the 3 year warranty and send the service/warranty book to the buyer. Normally your importer-dealer/agent will handle all liaison with the original EU supplying dealer for you, so, apart from supplying the photocopies, the buyer does not have to do anything.
Once you get the service book you can send a copy of the first pages (with VIN) and V5c to Subaru who will register it on their warranty/recall database.

Incidentally, new EU imports to UK spec are NO LONGER marked as such on the V5c. It will simply say 'New at First Registration'. There is now no way of telling if the car is an EU import or not unless you talk to Subaru UK, and even they may not be able to tell you.

The above procedure applies to all EU-import cars, not just Subarus. In some cases the cars are 'pre-imported stock' and registered to a UK company (I think Motorpoint have done this, possibly others). In that case you are not the first owner and the warranty situation is not so clear cut. You certainly will not get the full 3 years because the 'clock' will have started at the time of 1st reg. I would only buy a car where you are the first owner, there is no reason to do it any other way.

In terms of the spec. of the car, the 'underseal' story has circulated for years. Cars I have seen look the same underneath as official UK imports, so I am unconvinced there is a difference. The body warranty is the same, so I reckon the corrosion protection is the same. I have never seen a rusty EU-supplied Subaru that had not been accident damaged or abused.

All Subaru's are fitted with an Alpha Corp (Calsonic) key transponder system and a Mitsubishi immobiliser. Official UK imports have a Sigma Cat-1 alarm fitted (aftermarket style) - they have two little 'bobbles' on the A-post trim which house the ultrasonic transducers. Personally I would not bother with having a Cat-1 alarm fitted to an import. Most people ignore alarms and insurance companies don't reduce the premium if you have the alarm fitted (this is what I've been told by owners anyway). The insurance co's are most concerned with the immobiliser - talk to your ins co. before spending £300+ on an alarm.

The argument about the handling of turbo vs. non-turbo is rather silly. In terms of the latest model Impreza then 'Joe Average' will notice little if any difference. The non-turbo has slightly lower spring and damping rates and a fraction less camber front and rear (saloons: F -0.25 deg R -1.3 deg [non-turbo], F -0.3deg R -1.5deg [WRX]). The wagons (non-turbo and turbo) have less camber than the saloons.
Whichever you buy the handling will be very very good and for the sake of £400 of ARBs, camber bolts and a 3D alignment you can make them as neutral as anything on the market.

Note that the above comments only apply to the latest generation (Hawkeye) models. Previous generations had quite different set ups and some early non-turbos had no rear antiroll bar!
Incidentally, although people comment negatively about 'understeer'; car designers actually put it there for your safety. Most drivers are not nearly as good as they think they are and so in a truly neutral car could easily get into serious trouble - especially in a car capable of high speeds and high levels of grip. In a car like that, if things go pear-shaped then it often ends up in fatality. A bit of understeer keeps things in check and allows the inexperienced driver to learn about cornering without killing himself. When playing at being a racing driver remember too that a race car chassis does not have to deal with massively changing weight distributions. You set your car up nicely and then later in the year load it up with wife kids and a ton of luggage - and turn it round on the first greasy corner!
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - Happy Blue!
Quite simply - that was well worth waiting for. A superb, concise and detailed exposition on various topics raised above, from a person who clearly knows what he is talking about. Thank you and I am sure the OP will feel much much happier now that Aprillia has posted.
Subaru Legacy Sport Tourer - Soupytwist
If only he weren't a jumped up grease monkey.

(Now where's that smiley button? They have them on other forums you know, they look lovely.)
--
Soupytwist !