Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Alijazz
Hello everyone,

My mid-life crisis is obviously not yet over. Hooray! I have had a wonderful year with my pretty Suzuki Swift (thanks to all who recommended - you've got great taste). But... having driven something small and very, very nippy for a while, I now feel an overwhelming urge to drive something gigantic, huge, mega, big, gigantic and anti-social. However, my road-domination must be achieved on a very tight budget. Can you make any suggestions?

I could probably afford a new cheap SUV or a second-hand posh one. I tend to prefer new because I am always afraid of people dumping lemons in forecourts. I am a bit scaredy cat. So far I've considered:

KIA Sportage
KIA Sorrento (what is this car? What is the diff between that and the Sportage? Why does Honest John like it so much? It looks nice to me? Is it ok?)
Suzuki Gran Vitara

or older

RAV4s (do these look boring? Or haven't I learned how to appreciate SUVs yet? I am a novice.)
the CR-thingie - that new Honda one
Landrover Freelander (my husband wants this but the one I saw looks like a housebrick)

Calling all SUV owners and drivers. What should I do? What can I afford? What do you drive? How do you like it?

I have about £15k but could probably stretch a bit for something very nice. The biggest problem will be finding a garage to sell a car to me. The KIA garage said it had no cars - it could get one but from 100 miles away. The Suzuki garage had nothing to test drive because the boss had gone on holiday in it. Have they no cars or do they just not want to sell them?

All opinions very gratefully received.

Alijazz

PS I like the look of the Sorrento. Would be particularly interested to hear about these, especially diesels.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Avant
Hi Ali - how nice to hear from you again!

I hope some thoughts may help - maybe the first thing to decide is whether you need to go off-road. If so a 4 x 4 is the right way to go; if not you can still have one (there are plenty of 4 x 4's whose only excursion off-road is mounting the pavement outside the school gates.....) but you might find an MPV like a Toyota Verso suits you better.

Assuming you do want a 4 x 4 -

Kia Sportage - our vicar has one (2.0 diesel) and has been very happy with it. It's much more reliable than the Renault Scenic he had before and apparently it's the best he's had at towing their caravan.

Kia Sorrento - bigger than the Sportage and you'd have to buy second-hand for £15k. Not much point unless you need the size. I'm not sure how big your family is. Maybe try another Kia dealer? I'm still waiting for them to produce the Kia Ora - in orange of course.

Suzuki G. Vitara - I've no knowledge of this and you'd need to try one, but it seems to do much the same job as a Kia Sportage. You might get a better price for your Swift against the same make again.

Toyota RAV 4 - Toyota dealers are usually better than most and keen to sell and to offer test drives. The new one looks nice and you can have a 180 bhp diesel, but it's expensive. While there you could see what you think about a Verso - I nearly went for one just now but the new VW Golf estate pipped it at the post.

Honda CRV - the new one is over £18,000 but the old model was good too. If I wanted a 4 x 4 I think this is the one I'd go for. A friend has had one for 4 years - no problems at all.

LR Freelander - apparently nice to drive but I'm not confident that they are reliable. You'd have to buy used and there are some good ones around, but
the Japanese makes seem to survive a less-than-careful first owner rather better.

Two more possibilities -

Skoda Octavia estate 4x4 - probably better to drive than any of the above although not so high off the ground if this is a priority for you.

Subaru Forester - people who have Subarus - and there are several on this forum - love them and buy them again and again. I've never driven one but they are apparently reliable and good to drive.

There's also a Mitsubishi Outlander which I know nothing about but is probably worth a look if there's a dealer near you.

Hope that makes sense - if not my E-mail address is on my profile!
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - MichaelR
What is it you want from a car becuase I can think of nothing those cars can do that a good Estate car cannot do better, for less money, whilst being better to drive.

If you put a gun to my head I'd have a BMW X5 at a push but I can't think of a single situation where I would voluntarily chose a car like that.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - BobbyG
If memory serves me right, Alijazz is very good at putting over her own reasons however I think the secret is in her original post of

I now feel an overwhelming urge to drive something gigantic, huge, mega, big, gigantic and anti-social.

I don't quite think that she has an estate in mind. She is probably another one, like many others, who want a big chunky 4x4 for its road presence, its high up driving position, feel of solidity and always the possibility of maybe, just maybe, at some point needing to use the 4 wheel drive.

I can fully understand her reasoning and Alijazz, my tuppence worth, I was very close to buying a one year old, old shape diesel Honda CRV. However, I loved the externals, I loved the shape, but I just couldn't love the internals especially the dashboard. It has a huge big chilled glove compartment in the middle under the radio to take a can . Except very few people drink cans now! And for the few times I would have used it, I don't want ot to be in the most prominent part of my dashboard.

On the sport model, the radio is very poor - although it does have RDS the radio looks like ones you used to get in Vauxhalls 20 years ago - it doesn't show the radio station name if memory serves me right. Also it doesn't have variable intermittant wipe and when I drove it, it just felt very wallowy, in fact someone on here recently referred to it like having the handling of a boat!

However, how applicable that last comment is to 4x4s in general I don't know. Also, if you go up a spec in the CRV to Executive I know they get better radio (with built in sat-nav).

Personally I like the look of the Sportage but havent been inside or driven one.

As with your Swift purchase, please keep us updated as you go through your decision making process!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Hi Avant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was quick! Thank you for all the good advice.

How could I feel cool driving a vicar's car? I don't know what to think about the Sportage now...

Yes, getting a better price for my car at a Suzuki dealership did occur to me. But I am not sure I want a rear door that goes left to right. It would drive me mad. Also my nice Suzuki man has sensibly left the mad dealership and the new people still there are very vague and non-customer-oriented. My car is pretty new and has barely done any miles. (I was ill all year - guess what? I turned out to be a coeliac! All those years of unnecessary operations - what fun.) People should be fighting to buy my Swift because it is so pretty and well-preserved and really has had one very careful lady owner. It's only done 2,000 miles!)

ANYWAY....I will look into the RAV - my friend has one and loves it. I am glad you're not keen on the Freelander - I could get the same experience driving a tractor really, and probably earn money and get free turnips.

Me drive an estate car? I did once, by mistake, but I couldn't do it again. I don't have the gene for parking, even with parking sensors, and my rear end really would look big in that.

I have tried to work from the Top Gear buying guide, but they don't like any cars except the ones they own. Honest John has much more sensible opinions, I think.

Please remember that I buy cars for:

their looks - they have to be very pretty OR very ugly
their colour
in this case THEIR HUGE SIZE
to annoy other people

At the moment I am wanting a Kia Sorrento because it has an *altimeter, compass and barometer* as standard. WHAT BETTER REASON FOR BUYING A CAR? Believe me, with the life I lead, it pays to know how high I am.

THanks for responding so quickly. How are you, by the way???

SUV peeps - where are you????????? Aprilia, whaddaya know????

I am sitting here waiting excitedly and my budget has just gone up to seventeen grand. He he.

I have really missed visiting this message board!

Alijazz

Hello Michael and Bobby!

I really appreciate all these views. Choosing is very difficult for me and I can change my mind about five times an hour.

I started off thinking of all the major brands - that's not right... What do I mean? Marques? Is that it? Makes? Anyway, they all looked pretty similar except for the beautiful beasts I couldn't afford, and the ugly beasts I could. I am very attracted to unusual looks anyway. Linda Evangelista looks a bit like a Triumph Herald but I always felt she was by far the most striking of all the supermodels. The more conventionally pretty the more terminally bland, methinks.

Perhaps a psychiatrist would understand my current SUV fixation. I am five foot two and high heels can only give me a few more inches. However, an SUV can give me whole feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And when I was younger I wanted to be a Komatsu driver in one of those gigantic American quarries. You have to climb down a twenty foot ladder to go for a wee, or for anything else for that matter. Or maybe they have a toilet up there in the cab, in which case that's even better than the Sorrento. A lav beats an altimeter hands down. I digress.

What can I tell you? After being well-behaved the whole of my life I just want to rebel. I want to take up two spaces in the supermarket car park, make everyone have to sidle past me on the pavement, take three years off the life of the planet. I just want to have some Very Big Fun.

Thanks again for the info and views. The more the merrier. I will keep you all posted. We start looking in earnest tomorrow!!!!!! Exciting!!!!!!!

Bestest to all,

Alijazz

Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Ruperts Trooper
If you want a roomy car, saloon or estate, with 4-wheel drive the Subaru Legacy is available, NEW, from £14,000 via discount brokers.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - tyro
Dunno why, but I have a feeling you want a Ssangyong Kyron.
Dunno why but I have a feeling you want a Ssangyong Kyron.

On second thought, make that a Rexton.

Or if you want to be seriously anti-social, you could get a 5 year old Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon. :-)
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Michael, Surrey
Hi Alijazz, how about a JEEP ?
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - storme
hi

i have a honda hrv..

good fun cheap on fuel, never goes wrong, got all the gadets#(sat-nav,reverse aids etce etc)
cheap to insure, fairly tall,
id call it a bit bland, but it will allow me to drive it hard and for fun...good for fields and more practical than my fto
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - pudding chops
Back in 2003 I followed HJ's advice and started looking at Sorentos in local showrooms. Finally took the plunge in April 2004 and bought a diesel manual XE.Still got it with 35K on the clock and no probs. Reasonable to drive, good-ish economy and great for my business where I have to shift loads of stuff. A great workhorse.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Gromit {P}
Welcome back, Ali!

If what you want is an enormous lump of car to make you feel safe (and lets be honest, perceived safety is a big selling point with most SUVs that never leave tarmac) and annoy the hell out of the green welly brigade then what you DON'T want is a 'proper' 4x4.

Why? Proper 4x4s (I'd put the Kia Sorrento firmly in this camp) have a separate chassis with the body built on top. It makes them better at towing and doing off-road work. But, that separate body has little crash resistance. Being tall and top-heavy, 4x4s tend to roll over where ordinary cars stay upright and, with the weight of a beefy steel chassis and 4x4 transmission, when they roll, they tend to crush the body - and its occupants.

So my suggestion would be to look at the so-called "soft roaders", the SUVs built with road use in mind, that have a monocoque (car-type) combined body and chassis. As a starting point, take a look at the Dodge Caliber (chunky yankee looks), Subaru Forester (plain, but great drive), Hyundai Santa Fe (ugly, 7 seats, popular), Honda CRV (good on the road) or RAV4 (cute). When you find something that tickles your fancy, look up HJ's road test - each test has a list of the competition at the end, which will give you more options to consider.

Also, several of these are available with 2 wheel drive or have part-time 4 wheel drive too, so they won't cost as much to run or produce as much pollution as a 'proper' 4x4.

One warning though: prepare to be underwhelmed at how little cabin and boot space there is in most of these apparently large vehicles! A Focus estate will carry more - and in more comfort - than most of them.

If buying the Swift was anything to go by, Ali, I'm looking forward to another 200 posts or so following you thought - and buying - process. Enjoy!

- Gromit
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - ForumNeedsModerating
I enjoyed my ownership of a Nissan X-trail dCi Sport - HJ was very complimentary in his original road test too.

I mention it because the new model (although looks v. similar to the old) is just out and there seem to be some excellent deals available on the old model, IIRC, around £16K for a new Aventura diesel (leather, satnav(?) sunroof etc)

The later dCi 138bhp diesel offers plenty of poke & top gear cruising ability & 40-42mpg (the way I drive) economy & the 4WD/suspension system seems to gain plaudits too, being slightly more adept than many soft-roaders. May only be lacking the 'anoyance' factor you seem keen on though ;)
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - ForumNeedsModerating
'annoyance' factor , even.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Ruperts Trooper
Get a second-hand Toyota Landcruiser Amazon V8, that'll annoy everybody!
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Pugugly {P}
Keep the Suzuki, buy a motor bike and you can be an environmentally friendly rebel
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - MichaelR
Are we sure this thread isn't a windup?

So far we've got the opinion that a Suzuki Swift is 'very very nippy', then he says he wants to drive something HUGE AND OVERWHELMING but that an Estate would be too big to park, bit of a contradiction there. Then all the wish to deliberately be anti social.

Seems a bit fishy to me?
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - carl_a
Are we sure this thread isn't a windup?
So far we've got the opinion that a Suzuki Swift is 'very very nippy' then
he says he wants to drive something HUGE AND OVERWHELMING but that an Estate would
be too big to park bit of a contradiction there.

Hmm have you actually read the post, not sure Alijazz husband knows he's married a man.
Dear All,

I must say I can never understand why, when I pour out my genuine feelings, people think I am a fake. I get emotional over cars. I am sorry for anyone who doesn't. You should.

Ok... one at a time. Sigh. I am not a fake, in fact I am always getting in trouble for blurting out what I really think. I am not a man. Ali is short for Alison. I am not a wind up. I am just trying to buy a car. I write like this because I am a professional writer, not because I am some sort of mole from a car dealership trying to hypnotise the innocent readers of Honest John into buying cars they don't want. Honest John readers aren't that stupid anyway.

To the person who DARED to say my Swift wasn't nippy, SHAME ON YOU. You need to go and drive one.

To my old friends here, who saw me through the heady Swift days, and have provided so many, new and great suggestions: I promise I am really going to study them tonight. Today has been a MONUMENTAL disappointment. Sorry to sound like a footballer, but I am GUTTED.

We went to test drive the Kia Sorento and the Kia Sportage. It was a lovely sunny day. The dealer was helpful. The Sorento was humungous. It really did tick all the boxes on being massively everything. This is so embarrassing - at 5 foot 2 I could barely climb in it. I was like a kid trying to get into her parents' double bed. However, once I was up there it was great. We were sitting in a top-of-the-range, leather-seated diesel auto and all was fab.... until we test drove it. I insisted on sitting in the back, because most cars are ok to drive, but having barely survived a family trip to Ireland in the back of our BMW 3 (I wanted to commit suicide three miles outside Dublin, but still had to go all the way to Cork!) I was more worried about rear legroom. It was plentiful.

But oh........................ Being a rear passenger was like trying to ride a pile of fluffy pillows atop an immense, speeding blancmange. It has been very many years since I felt car sick in something nicely specced, but the Sorento managed to do it to me. My little son was thrown all over the place. Admittedly, it might have been better had we discovered the central armrest first, but even so we would still have been gripping on for dear life just to survive a mini-roundabout.

Once I have spotted something, I like to buy cars very quickly, so was very disappointed not to come back with a great big SUV. The Sportage looked nice, but by then I was fed up and had decided to be more open-minded and to check out some other makes before I dived into the bottom end of the market again. Perhaps you get what you pay for. Or perhaps to drive a Sorento you need to have a large caravan stuck to your bottom for ballast.

Interestingly, when I first got to the dealership, it wasn't the Sorento or the Sportage that caught my eye. Bar far the most beautiful-looking car was the quirky Kia Sedona - with its funny air intake - like an Impreza! It had millions of fab seats, but I discovered you had to take them out to get a boot, and we don't have anywhere to store a load of car seats. Our hallway would look like a cinema.

On the way back we stopped off at the Toyota dealership to have a look at the RAV4. I have no real idea what it is like because the SEVEN salemen in at the time were too busy laughing to pay attention to customers. One eventually came downstairs. He had no keys. When he found the keys the car had no fuel in. And when he discovered this he asked whether we would come back tomorrow. I don't know about you but I don't buy anything from dealerships like that. However, at a first glance the RAV4 looked very pretty in a shiny blue and the one in the showroom had good legroom in the back. I was pretty revolted by the mainstreamness of this car in silver, but I realise that's just me. I'm a designer and I like to break away from the pack. (Probably explains why the resale value of my cars is always so cruddy!)

So that's where we are up to at the moment. All I could think of on the way home was how lovely my little white Suzuki Swift was.

Recently my husband had his BMW reprogrammed, following which it turned into the space shuttle. That was exciting. And it was fantastic the first time I took my Swift hurtling round country lanes when no one was looking. But the last time I drove a car and thought, "I will die with jealousy" was when I picked up my son's brand new Vauxhall Zafira. It didn't feel like being in a Vauxhall and it didn't feel like the old Zafira I'd once owned. It was luxurious and beautiful, so perhaps I've been looking in the wrong direction all this time.

More later. We are crestfallen and regrouping. I need to eat.

Best wishes to all.

Ali

PS Carl. Women are full of contradictions. It isn't just me.
Definately a Harley Davidson candidate !
Hi PugUgly!

I love the idea of a Harley but I am just too feeble. I wouldn't be able to hold the bike up!

Anyone ever driven the Mitsubishi Grandis? (Am flicking over the pages as I speak. I think I'll go see what Honest John has to say.)

Toodle pip

Ali
Or A Range Rover Sport !
"Being a rear passenger was like trying to ride a pile of fluffy pillows atop an immense, speeding blancmange."

Welcome to SUV-land, Ali! I've driven several in the past six months - SWMBO hankers after a working 4x4 capable of towing horses, boats etc with a high driving position and plenty ooomph.

Range Rover: couldn't drive one. The brand new demonstrator had a flat battery and couldn't be started. Not uncommon with RRs.
Discovery 2: diesel manual slow, wobbly, cumbersome, but easy to see out of. Not one for emergency stops! Diesel auto even slower.
Freelander: boot so small you couldn't fit the dog in!
Nissan Patrol 3.0: astonishingly sluggish - a Transit van is faster. Just as well, also astonishingly slow to stop...even from 30mph.
Toyota Landcruiser 3.0: relaxed enough at 70mph in 5th I didn't realise it had a 6th gear (and that was with the back fully laden), very little load space for such a big vehicle, high window sills make it hard to see out of, awful ergonomics (e.g. electric mirror controls are fitted low down by the steering wheel - angled towards the floor! How do you read the labels on the many buttons?)

None of these are the car for you if you don't like squeezing into tight parking spaces. The Landcruiser was a pool car which several (male!) drivers refused to drive on account of its size. None are cars I'd pick for comfort, safety, speed or economy - that's just not what they're built for. But as you've just found, Ali, you won't realise that until you try one for yourself.

Which brings me to...

Subaru Legacy 2.5: sweet, fast, sits very low on the road. Also looked at an Outback which has higher suspension and is less stable as a result.
Subaru Forester 2.0: good on the road, needs to be driven hard to make progress, a bit noisier than the Legacy. Rally support crews around these parts love the 2.5 turbo version. Does everything the Outback does at 3/4 the price, but not quite as nicely finished. Black cabin trim looks better than beige.

Look up Espada's and Aprilla's comments on Foresters and Outbacks - Espada has owned both, Aprilla has fixed both, and both hold these Subarus in high regards. Provided one could tow what I needed to, this is where I'd start searching.

Chin up!
Gromit
Pudding chops - I am so sorry if I insulted your car. I loved everything about the Kia except for the wobble. Having looked at so many drab cloth interiors this afternoon, I really miss the smart cream leather the one we drove today had. And after looking at so many lacklustre alternatives, the wobble suddenly isn't seeming quite so bad at all.

I think I will go mad trying to find a 4x4. They seem to be much more flawed than other kinds of vehicles. I like the Xtrail and the Santa Fe - although they are rather butch. Are they going to be high enough for me? When I see many for sale they are listed as estates. ESTATES. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

NOT. AN. ESTATE. I. AM. A. GIRL.

You know how there are personal shoppers for clothes? Well how come there aren't personal shoppers for cars? I am getting nothing done and keep forgetting to eat. My husband is barely speaking to me (he wanted the Sorento). It's all going pear-shaped!

Ali
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - nortones2
Ali. Flaws is right. SUV's are a compromise: which side of the compromise do you want to fall? I don't need to go off-road, or tow, but I do like to get around bends without holding people up, or passengers being sea-sick, so SUV is not for me. If you can't see where you're backing into (height) and have diffy spacial skills - maybe a car that handles, is not too expensive to fuel, and can be parked without anxiety might be better all round. Think of the dents, the blushing and the arguments:)
Ali - don't get depressed if you don't find what you want straight away. Test driving is quite fun. It took me ages this time and once you've made the final decision you may still not be sure you've got it right, as nothing is perfect.

I'm interested in your opposing views of estates and 4 x 4s - personally I'd have thought a Kia 4 x 4 looked much more butch than my new Golf estate. But of course this sort of thing can only be subjective. You have to find what you think you look right in, within your budget.

I spend a lot of my working life 'reading' other people so let's try it on you. I think you want -

- something big or biggish, more so than the Swift anyway
- to sit high up
- something fun to drive
- not to look butch
- to give an impression of the real 'you' - i.e. not a posemobile
- and above all, remembering your previous thread, not to look as if you've come to mend the photocopier.

So - maybe try some of these:

Subaru Forester, but in the showroom have a look at a Legacy as well

Toyota RAV-4: you were unlucky finding a dud Toyota dealer: most are much better than that. Again, in the showroom check out a Verso.

Suzuki G. Vitara

Honda CRV

Vauxhall Zafira, if you liked the look of your son's (presumably not the same son who got thrown about in the back of the Kia!!)

Citroen Picasso - I can see you as a Citroen driver, and I mean that nicely!

Mercedes A or B class - I didn't like my B-class but you don;t have to have a diesel. They're expensive, though, unless you get a good deal as I did

Nissan Qashqai - this could be a good one as you can have a 2wd or 4wd version, and it isn't huge.

Have fun!
Hi Avant,

You are very kind to try and keep me going. This is day one and I am completely exhausted. I will take on board all your comments.

I don't really mind looking butch in a car. I don't like girly cars anyway. But you are right. I don't want to pull into a car park and have everyone asking me for toner.

I am intrigued by these Forester and XTrail thingies.

Today I saw a massive site that had a billion cars. Would anyone use those big second hand motor places. There was one near East Mids airport and another just up the road from me in Notts. I am scared i might buy a lemon and then be given peanuts for my own car. I might end up less hungry but unhappy.

ALSO - there is a garage that is offering brand new X trails at £6k off list price. Why, SpongeBob, why?

Am I just too suspicious?

I tried to find the threads about Subarus but couldn't. I am hopeless at searching on here.

Hope you all had a better day than I did. I just want a big car to arrive in the post tomorrow. I think we should be able to buy them from catalogues. Or TKMaxx should start selling last season's models. That would be so convenient!

I know. All this is driving me mad, pardon the pun.

Ali
Since Aprilia has not contributed yet, these links give a sample of his wisdom on the subject:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=47...5

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=46...1

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=34...1

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=28...0

Hi Tyro

Thanks for this. Aprilia is always very sensible and I have already come to the same conclusions through test driving and research. Much as I love the look of them, and the idea of being so high up, I just don't like 4 x 4s and I am not going to buy one.

I spent an hour this morning reading what owners really think about their X-trails. Apparently, not a lot. With a handicapped adult son and a little one, too, I just can't have anything that is going to ditch me weeping in a cloud of smoke on the A1.

The only car left for me might be the Honda CRV, but to be honest I simply can't be bothered to look any more. I give up.

So. That leaves me with MPVs. This is more familiar territory to me and less of a consumer minefield.

Much as my little soul would droop, I reckon I am destined to have another Vauxhall Zafira. They are superfab if as dull as ditchwater. I am going to have to go for practicality over aesthetics.

BOO HOO. Car manufacturers are mad. Why can't they do what Suzuki did with the Swift? Find out what people really like about cars and put it all in one little cute one, with a choice of smart colours and some very nippy engines? The Swift surely proves it can be done? Kind of begs the question why Suzuki didn't do it for all their other cars as well.

I am beginning to hate cars now, and what is worse be put off shopping, which has NEVER happened to me before. Even when in extremis. Perhaps the way to cure a shopaholic IS to make her go and buy a car.

Hope you are all well and enjoying your driving! Thanks for trying to help me, but I think I am beyond help!

Ali
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - qxman {p}
The first of the above links makes and excellent point i.e. that 4WD SUVs are good at what they are designed for, but bad at everything else.
I have driven a Discovery quite extensively and my brother in law has a large Mitsubishi Shogun 4WD. I find that both are awful in normal day to day driving. The diesel Discovery is slow and lumbering, ditto the Mitsubishi, although with a little more power. There is not much room inside either given the exterior bulk. What is worst is the feeling that you are distant from the road i.e. there is almost a feeling of driving by remote control which I find very unsettling. There is next to zero driving enjoyment on normal roads. My brother in law takes his off road, he goes green-laning with some other 4WD owners. Unless you are into this sort of activity, or maybe towing something big, then I wouldn't bother with one.
A Subaru Forester is likely to be a much better proposition and you never hear a bad word said against a Subaru. I think the Forester was one of the most highly owner-rated cars in this year's Which magazine car buying guide.
If it were me then I would stay with the Swift. At 2000 miles it is hardly run in.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - nick
Ali, go to www.subaru.co.uk and use the used car locator to look for a Forester. Keep in mind that you'll be able to knock a bit off the price with a bit of haggling.
Hello Nick and QXman!

Thanks so much for responding.

GUESS WHAT? I have shocked myself by going and buying a brand new Vauxhall Zafira. I had a real piece of luck. Under Vauxhall VIP (direct from their web site) you can buy their cars direct at up to two grand off list price. So I asked the dealer if he could give me the same price, failing which I would sell my Swift privately, and get one directly from Vauxhall. All dealers reading - I apologise. It was mean of me.

Anyway, he offered me the book price for the Swift and gave me £2000 discount on the price of the new Zafira. So I am feeling pretty happy now my face has calmed down. I hate haggling and was so embarrassed I blushed for half an hour. You are probably all going to say, "Ah but they would do that for anyone." If this is true, don't let me know. Because at the moment I am feeling pretty pleased with myself. Don't burst my bubble!

Look at my new car: it's exactly like this. Electric Glide in Blue:

tinylink.com/?0rZxXxS1JA

I hope you are all proud of my going sensible. It's very hard to make logical purchases when inside you feel like a thirteen year old fairy princess, while in reality you are a middle aged mother of two. But I have managed to do it.

I loved my last Zafira. Let's hope this one is also a good one.

All your advice re 4 x 4 will not be wasted. My opposite neighbour has just told me he has also spent the last week on the same trail - in his case he wants a gigantic seven seater people carrier. We've pointed him in the direction of the Santa Fe for starters and he can then look at this thread!

Thanks to all who helped. I might get a 4 x 4 when I can afford a Mercedes or something - they look pretty and might actually hold the road. But at their cost, it will not be in this lifetime!

Best to all.

Ali
I have shocked myself by going and buying a brand new Vauxhall Zafira.

So it's not a VXR? Not much of a mid-life crisis, that! :-)
Hi Tyro,

I think my crisis will have to be negotiated. No VXR? Partly cost but mostly because my husband can only drive autos, so..............................

:)

Ali
I just cancelled the Zafira. I just couldn't do it to myself.

This mid-life crisis is worse than I thought.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Pica
I did much the same but I bought a Zafira and kept it for a week and hated it (seats were too uncomfortable for me and it rattled badly). I then traded it in for the old shape CRV in Exec trim. It is not going to win any races but both the wife and I feels it fits us very well. We get around 33MPG around locally and 36MPG on a recent run down the M4; so far have done around 4000 miles in 2 months without any complaints We got around £7.5K off list price (2 months ago).

When we want a blast it's into the Mid life crisis V8 Mustang :)
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - krs one
Have you looked at the Suzuki SX4 , not exactly an oil burning pig , but if you liked the Swift then it may be a good compromise. Raised driving position and 4x4 , smaller than the ones you've looked at but quite chunky looking.
Hi Pica

THANK YOU so much for being sympathetic and understanding.

Mustang............................. now there's a thought.

Rightly or wrongly, I believe you get just one life, and after everything I've been through, I feel I really want to live it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More later.

Alijazz

PS my small son is heartbroken. He loves Zafiras. I shall remind him of this when he is twenty one and clamouring for a sports car.
Hi krs one

I love my Suzuki Swift and so far nothing I've test driven this week has compared to it for sheer fun. I've driven back every day thinking, "how can I see this beautiful little car?" So yes I have considered the bigger Swift version. Pretty much everything is on my test list at the moment. I know that I am looking for something, but know equally that I will only know it when I find it. Perfect car - where are you?

It looks like we will be flying everywhere in future, because I know this mid-life crisis will not let me buy a useful family car.

All ridiculous mid-life crisis suggestions will be explored. I have just seventeen grand and we already have the running costs of a BMW...... I like new cheap cars or second hand luxury cars. What would you do?

Go for it.

Bestest.

Alijazz

PS krs on the way out of the showroom after buying the Zafira I kept looking at the Tigra instead, which made me realise what a desperate state I was in. You should be happy with a purchase for more than thirty seconds!
How can I sell, not how can I see!
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Mapmaker
I really can't see you in a Forester. Firstly, it's an estate car. Secondly it's so plain and boring to look at...

What about.... a Mitsubishi L200 twin cab pickup. I think you'll find it ticks all your boxes.

You won't look like the photocopier mender (although you might look like the tree surgeon).

It's quite good looking - for a pickup - but massive and butch.

It's unusual (ish) and it certainly fulfills your antisocial desires. It's perfect midlife crisis material.

And, frankly, if you like to buy a brand new car every year, which is your perogative, if you don't like it you'll soon be shot of it. I think you will.

Or a Landrover defender?
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Mapmaker
>>second hand luxury cars.

In which case, put your budget at about £1,000 (maybe up to £3,000).

Get yourself something old, luxury and fun, a bit 'classic' and if it only lasts 6 months before you have to spend a load of money (which it probably won't) it'll be much cheaper than your swift was.

Something like a Series II V8 landrover. A W123 Merc. An XJ12 Jaguar. A Nissan QX. An Audi 100 quattro with a bigger engine than the space shuttle. Something that was £40,000 new and now virtually nothing.

Change your car as often as your socks, and have more fun.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - qxman {p}
Every Mitsubishi L200 I see seems to be driven by a balding builder with a bunch of tatoos on his arm. Not exactly classy cars are they.
How about the bigger Suzuki 4WD (Vitara). They are being advertised at about £15,000 brand new.
You lot are so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why stop at twin cab when you could get tip up, too!!!!!!!!!

THese suggestions are exactly what I need. I am beginning to buck up now. I hadn't even considered VANS! But for the licence I might be delving into lorries by now.

We almost bought a Gran Vitara when we went to buy the Swift, JUST BECAUSE. So you know me very well.

Perhaps we are a rather flighty family.

The best car I ever owned was a top spec Honda Prelude, circa 1980 model, coupe. I looked like Lady Penelope on Parker's day off. That was fun to drive. I need something even funner.

Thanks all. Keep the ideas coming.

Ali
Chrysler 300C, Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B, big Yank crewcab pickup (see ebay), Jeep Commander. or this on ebay 200145211981
Nick,

That camper van is about the most magnificent thing I have ever seen on four wheels. There would be a real danger I would float off on adventures, instead of being a dutiful parent.

The main problem is that a covenant on our courtyard prevents parking of anything other than cars. Caravans, vans, and very probably twin cab pickups - all a no no. Dagnabit.

THanks for the brilliant suggestion.

Ali
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - brg190 pete
Ali

I always find your threads very amusing. You are somewhat impetuous aren't you? Buy a Zafira at 2pm, cancel the deal an hour later. Not often I feel sorry for a dealer, but I do this time. He must have thought he had that one in the bag. I must admit the car you showed a photo of does look nice.

Are you really sure you want to get rid of your Swift after only 2k miles? On your previous thread, you said how great it was, and you do the same earlier in this post. A Swift would be too small for me, but I have seen a few around and they look like great cars.

Of course, if your circumstances have changed so that you need a larger car, so be it. Otherwise, just think of the depreciation you will have suffered. What if you buy an SUV and live to regret ever getting rid of the Swift?

I bet there's never a dull moment in your house. Don't take this comment the wrong way, but I'm not sure if I envy your husband or feel sorry for him!

All the best in your search - this is the best thread going at the moment and I for one will watch with interest what you come up with!
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - nortones2
Maybe Ali should change tack: buy a 3-wheeled trike with a VW or porsche engine, all exposed in chrome. As you didn't use the Swift much, you can limit the trips to fine weather only. Here's an example: tinyurl.com/yu2ya2
Dear Friends,

Welcome to my crazy test-drive shopping list. At present it includes:

a brand new Grand Vitara
a second hand BMW Z4
a quad bike
a very second hand Hyundai Santa Fe (they look great but who the heck sells them? Can't find any I can afford)
one of those one-person bikes President Bush fell off
Barbie's Horse Box (always wanted one, never got one BOO HOO) OR
42 pairs of Manolo Blahniks
Komatsu 9000 E (auto of course) and a
Pontiac Silverdome

Some of these choices are slightly less practical than others.

My husband has just confessed that he really loved the Sorento. Oh golly gosh blasphemy removed. Said it brought out the Yorkie man in him. I might have to learn to wobble along at high speed like the best of them (as if I don't already outside any vehicle!)

The main advantage that I can see to the Sorento is how great it would look when I drove it the 50 yards to the gates of my son's school. But isn't that what you're supposed to do in a gigantic SUV.

More suggestions please!

Ali

PS I have sulked all evening and still not managed to get the budget over £17000. I really want the Hyundai Santa Fe! It's just not fair! I haven't had a new car for a WHOLE YEAR!!!!!)

PPS my husband picked up a Tigra brochure on the way out of the Vauxhall showroom, to soften the blow a bit for the salesman. I couldn't bear to break the bad news to the man myself. I hid - even at home. The shame. I know. I am a coward. But the salesman was so nice it would have been like beating up a kitten.
LOL Nortones. I love the idea of fine weather driving.

I agree, I have to think laterally. Some tandems costs over ten thousand pounds.

It is going to have to be something good to get me away from my Swift. It is the prettiest and liveliest car I've had for many a year. And still, even now, EVERYONE asks me about it in car parks. And yesterday, in the KIA dealership, it was busy so I parked alongside the sale cars, and two separate families tried to buy my Swift. Whatever tempts me away from it is going to have to be corruptingly good.

More later. There are still four more shopping hours left before I collapse.

Ali
Ali - I'm so glad you changed your mind about the Zafira - (a) you'd have been bored stiff with it after the first few miles (I know you gad one before but you weren't having a mid-lif crisis then)....(b) you are clearly not a Vauxhall type....(c) it would have been the end of this thread and of all the fun we're having (not at your expense - deep down you're enjoying this too I think....)

Let's try a bit of lateral thinking.

You love the Swift but presumably it's too small for your practical needs, some of the time. Keep it, and persuade your saintly husband to swap the BMW for a 4 x 4 - a new Japanese or Korean one as above or a 2nd-hand BMW X3 or X5.

All this depends on how precious his BMW is to him: if the answer is 'very', then you go all feminine and ask who's more precious, you or the BMW.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - SteVee
I'd have to agree with Avant's comments above.

What about a Renault Vel Satis ? Only second hand now and well within your price range.
Just think of the shoes you could buy with the spare money :-)
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - RichardW
Wish I had a 'limited' budget of £17k to replace a 1 year old 2k car.....

How about a Citroen C4 Picasso? Comes with an automated manual box, plenty of road presence in the larger style. Although not sure you'd get the torque monster 2.0HDi 136 for that sort of money....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Hi Everyone,

Actually, as a designer, I love Citroens. Those mega-big ones are fab, but I would be fighting to persuade my husband who has more conventional taste.

Avant. Your trick worked. It now looks like I get to keep my cute Suzuki Swift and he will trade in his BMW. I cannot believe I am writing this.

Tomorrow we test drive the Santa Fe. Who knows what thereafter. Perhaps we could buy one of those and put the Swift in the boot!

Today was boring. I bought a bike for son number two. He declared he wanted a bike that could go along at a good pace, but have something in reserve when he needed to overtake. I don't think he understands about pedals.

I keep seeing Kia Sedonas out and about. I actually dreamed about one. The old design, so long and elegant, so beautiful. I love the retro bonnet, the never-ending lines, and in the top spec the rows of taut cream leather seats. I can't stop thinking about them, no matter how mediocre and unfashionable they might be. In silver with privacy glass they look like San Tropez on wheels.

So thanks Avant. Looks like I get to have my cake and eat it. Fingers crossed that we can do a last minute bargain somewhere before the new plates are out.

Best wishes to all.

Ali
Richard W,

I know... Does it sound arrogant of me to say that? But it is a limited amount when you're trying to buy an SUV or something else ultra fab! If I weren't I'd be having a very fine time looking for an ordinary car.

This is a present from my husband for surviving a very dangerous illness. I shouldn't be here, so we are all celebrating that I am!

Best to all.

Ali
#Oh, the wayward wind is a restless wind
A restless wind that yearns to wander
And I was born the next of kin
The next of kin to the wayward wind#

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we just traded in our BMW for a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We pick it up a week on Monday. It's having parking sensors fitted.

I don't really know what to say, except what an utterly fab car. I sat in the back during my hubby's test drive to see what our kids would be in for and it was much more fun than being in the Kia Sorento. I think the Sorento would be great for towing, and was lovely inside, but the Santa Fe gave a fab ride for passengers. It barely rolls round bends and is really luxurious.

We went for the 2.2 CRTD CDX in the end because we already have Tom Tom so didn't want the Sat Nav, didn't really want the little DVD player on the roof. Also we were shopping on a budget, having started out last week with a lot less to spend. If we had had a bit more money we would have gone for the new Limited edition, because the extras package was pretty good. But even I have to have some self-control.

Avant, this is all your fault. Thank goodness. We bought from the garage we got my Swift from - they have many dealerships. They were nice and worked very hard to get a good price for the BMW, which has an incredible spec but is now a 52 plate.

This is the worst bit, the waiting.

Thanks again to all here who helped us choose a car. Until I came here I'd never even heard of a Suzuki Swift, let alone a Hyundai Santa Fe. What a huge amount of good motoring I would have missed out on without you.

I am so happy that both my hubby and I get to indulge our mid-life crises, and I get to keep my Suzuki Swift!

Best to all.

Watch this space :)

Ali
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - boxsterboy
Watch this space :)

What? For another cancelled order when you change your mind ... ?
Why so upset, Boxsterboy? Perhaps you are a car salesman, in which case I apologise. I did give one of your colleagues a disappointing day. But today we made the day of another dealer trying to meet their monthly target. Swings and roundabouts.

When spending this amount of money, I think it's fair enough to be absolutely sure that it's the right thing for us.

A

Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - boxsterboy
Sorry, it was only tongue in cheek... (I'm not a car dealer).
Hi Boxsterboy,

No offence taken! I'll let you know how it copes with the weekly shop! Just kidding.

He he.

Ali

Keep us updated Ali. If we both weren't already married I'd propose! ;-)
Dear Nick

I note from your profile that you like old things!!!!! This explains a lot! Well. I am more trouble than ten women and twice as expensive. My husband would be the first to advise you to steer very clear!

I have been having a GREAT time on Youtube this evening. There are about a million brilliant adverts for this car (two banned in their countries - one for being too irresponsible and one for being too sexy) and some spectacular home movies of Santa Fe adventures. IF these are anything to go by following our purchase I will be able to:

set my engine on fire
total my car in a ford
balance my car on one wheel accidentally during an adventure day
use the car to clear snow
and do handbrake turns.

I must try not to do them all on the way home.

Sounds EXACTLY the car I've been looking for.

Best to all.

SUV Girl
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - NowWheels
I can't believe I'm saying this but we just traded in our BMW for a
brand new Hyundai Santa Fe!

I can't believe it either. I thought that you were going to get either the pile of Manolo Blahniks, or an International CXT ( www.mycxt.com/internationalcxt.html )

If you want big and anti-social, the CXT seems to have little competition this side of Challenger tank
Hi Nowheels,

I love it when big pipes stick out of the top of a car like that. Hope there are no psychiatrists tuned in. We actually considered a tank because they're cheap, and might get this out of my system (my husband is ex army so clearly that appealed!), but we didn't have anywhere to put it.

Mid-life crises are such powerful things. I have been a good girl the whole of my life and now I just want to go monster-trucking. Ah well. Apparently the globe is warming from meat-eating and not from vehicles and there is very little I can do about that, being genetically constructed only to be able to eat animal protein, seriously.

If you ask me what I really wanted to buy - well I'll own up. If the Hyundai dealer had sold these, he would have been quids in yesterday.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQQIGc7LUY

Have a nice day all.

Ali

Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Round The Bend
Ali, did you follow up the earlier suggestion of the Nissan Qashqai? Saw one the other day and was struck by its chunky looks. May be just far enough away from the mainstream to suit your tastes.
Hi Round the Bend

I wonder if you missed it. I kept my Swift and we bought a Hyundai Santa Fe!

Best wishes.

Ali
But I forgot to mention. We did look at the Qashquai or however you spell it. But by then my husband had seen the Santa Fe and it was all over for me.

I thought it was a beautiful looking car.

Oddly enough I rather liked all the Hyundai range. There is something slightly different about all of them - I mean to the mainstream. Perhaps it is that I like minimalism, and their slightly old-fashioned clean lines appeal to me. I am not frilly and they are a no-frills company. Their coupe reminded me of my beloved old Honda Prelude - the car against which all others are measured.

Have fun all.

Restless Wind!
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - Round The Bend
Rats! Missed the vital post!!
We actually considered a tank because they're
cheap and might get this out of my system (my husband is ex army so
clearly that appealed!) but we didn't have anywhere to put it.

Actually, Ali, I think you haven't quite got the hang of the benefits of tank ownership.

With a tank, you don't need to find a parking space; you make one.

Cars in the way? No prob, drive at them, and park on top of them. (The same technique makes traffic jams a doddle)

Buildings in the way? No prob, just drive the tank into them, and flatten them.

Big buildings in the way? Easy, just use that big gun to blow them apart, then park on the rubble.

Parking attendant coming? Remind him as politely as possible that the machine gun mounted on top of your tank is loaded, and it works.
LOL NowWheels!!!!!

Perhaps we can arm the Santa Fe to get a similar result.

After spending a blissful evening watching Santa Fe vids on Youtube, and seeing what fun people are having with their cars, I think my biggest problem will be staying put. It's big enough for us all to sleep in the back and the cabin is as luxurious as you need. We might just drive and never come back.

The only slight sadness is that I didn't win in the seat battle. I wanted 7, just in case. But hubby wanted 5 so he would get instead a hidden box under the floor to put his shot deer into. OK, so I don't have five children, but he doesn't shoot or fish! It was a vicious specification war, and I lost. What's he going to put in there now? Squished hedgehogs?

:)

Ali

Ps I can't complain. He lost his pride and joy!

The only slight sadness is that I didn't win in the seat battle. I wanted
7 just in case. But hubby wanted 5 so he would get instead a hidden
box under the floor to put his shot deer into. OK so I don't have
five children but he doesn't shoot or fish! It was a vicious specification war and
I lost. What's he going to put in there now? Squished hedgehogs?

Be careful. The box might be enough to fit a 5'2"-tall woman ... ;)
Hello everyone,

No, I am not languishing in some dark, underfloor wet box (much as I'd like to!) - I'm still here.

Well.

We are now the proud owners of a really rather spiffing, brand new Hyundai Santa Fe. I wish I could tell you all about it, but my husband has barely let me near the wheel. I suppose the biggest compliment to the car is that he traded in his BMW330d M Sport for it, and is extremely happy he did. I think it's a man thing. He loves it. He has been packing the boot with all kinds of grubby rubbish and taken real pleasure in doing all manner of household things normally eschewed - such as the tip run and going to boring shops.

The buying experience itself was pretty lacklustre. I could hardly believe this was the same dealership that my Swift came from last year. Twelve months ago they were very obliging and professional. Perhaps all the takeovers (17 of the Dixons garages etc. etc. etc.) have left Evans Halshaw spread a little thinly. Something was taking its toll. I was used to the neat and efficient Suzuki guy but apparently he'd flown to BMW and we were processed by a pleasant-enough but cynical Hyundai man. They'd "lost" the mats and the boot liner and when we complained that the newly-fitted reversing sensors weren't working properly (as we were manoeuvring out of the garage) he said he couldn't imagine it. (If you rely on them you end up in the nearest bush or ditch). I don't like it when a car has to go back in on its second day. (According to the Hyundai forum people fit these sensors upside down and set them in the wrong sequence all the time, so I know it can be gotten wrong). They are fixing this tomorrow - I'll let you know.

I know. Hyundai isn't BMW etc etc. Yes, we were buying a budget SUV but we were spending almost twenty five grand - I kind of expected a little more TLC for that.

Now for the good bit. I love this car. I love being so high up. I love the light steering which I know many people wish were heavier. It's so easy to drive. I love the retro feel about it all. With a formica dash it's like sitting in a moving sixties roadside diner. I can't believe people don't like the plastic dash. It's not even an attempt at wood - it's the most magnificently kitsch feature you ever did see. In honour of the occasion I wore a checked trucker shirt and on the way back we played Frank Ifield's version of "Restless" at full blast. With yodels. It was a pretty amazing half hour even in my eventful life. All motoring should be this much fun.

Not sure what else to say, not being a techie kind of gal. The Santa Fe is just wonderful. The trouble is, it's not MINE. So I don't think the present crisis is over yet. I've still got a Swift to swop but I can't find a car I like. I know it's old-fashioned but I love coupes, so have been looking in that direction (hubby was quite taken with the Hyundai Coupe until he sat in it. He's only six foot but he couldn't fit his legs in properly. Dagnabit.) I just don't know. Everything seems so generic and I like something elegant or in some way different. I quite like some Mercs but what would they be like second hand? After buying a Santa Fe this week, we won't have very much to spend. I know. I'm a pain in the neck, but I still need suggestions. I need an auto. It mustn't be over £15,000 (preferably not over 12K), it must look very beautiful OR very ugly, be fabulous to drive, and very reliable. Second hand Merc? BMW? Something else? I wish I knew what. Maybe ANOTHER Santa Fe!

Good wishes to all.

Ali

Enjoy the Santa Fe, Ali!

Don't worry about changing the Swift. Just put it to the back of your mind and enjoy the car you have - its one of the few charismatic cars out there that you can buy for less than the price of a decent house!

When you least expect it, something else on four wheels will cross your path - a car you'd never have thought of that makes you say "Yes! I want one of THOSE!"
Hi Gromit

I so love driving both our cars. And I think you are right about the Swift. I actually measure everything against it. It is such fun to drive and it's so comfortable that it prejudices me against most lesser cars (including some swanky marques).

I wish I were a mechanic because then I could buy on looks alone. As it is, I have to have something reliable. Kind of liked the look of an old Celica today. But do you know what? The most appealing car visually for me is the pre 2006 Kia Sedona, in silver. It looks ... exotic in a Russian way. I am going to have to test drive one of those. If I buy one I will get a coat with a big upturned collar and very dark shades. They are such madly designed cars and look truly fab in cream leather.

I know. I don't need the other SIX seats. But that's not really the point, is it?

Bye for now.

Ali

PS ongoing problems with the parking sensors. We threatened to send the Santa Fe back today because their fix didn't fix the problem and it is absorbing a ton of our time, toing and froing with what should be a trouble-free new car.
Hi,

I finally saw what I really want.

A. Bowler. Nemesis.

Everyone - start saving.

;)
I saw on Fifth Gear on Monday - wicked....
Not sure how to insert the link , but the only wheels to satisfy the Lady around town has to be the Unimog Black (search on Google images).Very suited to shopping , promenading or declaring war.
Moving Swiftly up....looking for an SUV - PhilW

"wicked"
Not up with modern language use but presume it still means
"intensely or extremely bad or unpleasant in degree or quality, disgusting: highly offensive; arousing aversion or disgust"

--
Phil
Quite the opposite ! I've been "down there" with some youths today so sorry about the gross misuse of the English Language.

Reminds me of the "Yobs" cartoon in Private Eye - Scene Crown Court. Two of the Yobs in the dock and a judge delivering the summing up. Something along the lines of "the best way to describe your crime was er... well.....wicked" The Yobs took it the wrong way.
Good old Private Eye - best read of all! (Not a lot of motoring stuff though!)

--
Phil
Hi All

Anything called Nemesis is automatically wicked.

Ok. I don't think I am going to be able to afford a Bowler. Dagnabit. What can we think of that makes the same noise, though? What an utterly brilliant noise. It once happened to me by accident when the exhaust fell off my old beetle, but I want a car that makes that noise on purpose. (Would also like the flames coming out the exhaust, too - if I'm honest).

We are loving our new Santa Fe, *hating* the dealer that sold it to us complete with problems and who damaged it by prising off the trim with a screwdriver without unscrewing it during an alleged repair and then treated us like dirt - *really* hating them. As for me - I still haven't decided on my next car.

Have recently looked at:

Hyundai Tucson - (from a different, nice Hyundai dealer. Wish I had found him first.)
Second hand BMW M3 - and yes my husband is very keen on this idea
London Taxi
Second hand ancient Rolls Royce. There are millions on ebay, all practically free. (Is a Rolls the new printer? Buy it for nothing and then spend a million on parts?)
Fiat 500 - but everyone will have one, which puts me off. Also, that doesn't make me any higher up, which is what I want. Also there aren't any yet - boring!

Still rather want a Komatsu 930E but I don't think they are allowed on roads, even in America, which makes you think. Wouldn't you just love to do the school run, or the weekly supermarket shop in a Komatsu 930E, though?

I have an overwhelming urge to sell my house, give up my job, buy a Bowler Nemesis, and then just drive around quarries for the rest of my life. I can't decide whether this means that I am very healthy and sorted or gone a bit soft in the head. Close call.

A lot of cars are coming out next year. Perhaps I should wait a bit and see what there is. But I do hate waiting. I don't queue, either.

Hope you are all well.

Alijazz

PS The best place to look at 4 x 4s is not in showrooms but in a Waitrose car park. I wander round looking in all the windows and you get to see all the makes together. I love it, but will probably be arrested soon unless I start collecting trolleys or something.

Oh no. I LOVE the Unimog. You can get them with CRANES on the back. As a girl of 5 foot 2 let me tell you how much I would love a crane on my car. I could get the snippy cutter attachment and do our lawn from the driveway. I could get the fire engine version - just because. All these accessories - it's better than Barbie.

How utterly fabulous. I wonder if ebay has any.

Thank you so much for a suggestion ABSOLUTELY in the right spirit.

How well you all know me.

Alijazz
I often think that life would be perfect if I had my own crane.Driving around in a cross between the best meccano set in the world and one of the lost thunderbirds seems ideal.
"How well you all know me."

Alijazz,
You don't need advice on which car to buy - you need a psychiatrist!!!! ;-)
(note smiley)

--
Phil