Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - sirdave
Hi all, I need to go & pick up 2 people with 2 babies - about 8 old months from gatwick. Knowing nothing about this sort of thing it looks like I need to get 2 extra seats of some sort.

Do I really need these for a one off trip ?, I looked on a rospa website that looked confusing but it said a hire vehicle did not need child restraints, so I could hire a car the same as mine & all would be ok

Am i just getting myself in trouble for helping out?

Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - Altea Ego
Dont even think about taking two babies of that age without child seats.

Is yours a hire vehicle? are you a taxi driver?
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - Pugugly {P}
www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/#under3

Tells you the law, seems rather bizzare that taxis and "licensed hire cars" are exempted. And odd exclusion in this day and age.

This bit seems to try to block the loophole :-

"for a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity"
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - stuartl
I really cannot believe this question.

How anyone could consider transporting babies or children without approved child seats is beyond comprehension but to then research the web for a legal loophole really takes the bisuit.
I only hope that if you do turn up without child seats to collect these people they have the sense not to get in the car
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - flunky
I really cannot believe this question.
How anyone could consider transporting babies or children without approved child seats is beyond comprehension

Millions of people around the world do and did indeed in this country not so long ago.

People take risks that could lead to death every day, not sure why everyone's so up in arms about this one.

1. The driver is aware of the risk of an accident, and is probably driven quite a lot before, and feels that it is negligible.

2. If they take a taxi, they will be carried by their parents, and there will not be any child seat, no policeman will come, and no laws will be broken.

I doubt very much there would be the same response if someone asked "Would you catch a taxi from the airport with two babies.", most people would just say it's fine, it's a one-off journey. So how can it be so unthinkable to do in your car what thousands of people do every day (legally) in a taxi, but in your own car (with which you have a better knowledge of the skill of the driver, the safety features of the vehicle, the level of maintenance)?

I go to to third world on holiday and have taken my children in the local vehicles, which are often dodgy, but it doesn't stop me (or those that live there) from doing what I want to do.

I mean seriously, ONE trip in a car without car seats being carried by parents. Is this really that bad?

(And I understand that it is illegal to do this, but most of the posts are here moralising about child safety, not addressing the simple legal question.)

And the alternative appears to be to catch the bus, bet you won't see any car seats there.....
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - deepwith
Flunky, the adults might be happy to take the risk - do the babies have a choice? Do you know which journey will end badly?
Just visit any Opportunity Group in your area, any special school, speak to some of several of the people in this room who have special needs children, then you will understand why we would not put a child at risk - even for one journey. If you think your family could cope with giving 3 hours or more of physio daily for YEARS, speech therapy, never having night without disruption again, countless hours waiting to see consultants, other siblings having to take third place all the time, respite care not existing, then carry on. Being born with a disability or gaining one via illness or brain tumour, is one thing, I cannot even begin to consider the guilt if caused for the sake of a car seat.
You have been lucky to date - count your blessings.
Preaching over :~)
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - Baskerville
so I could hire a car the same as mine & all would be

If you're considering hiring a car anyway, hire a couple of baby carriers/child seats as well. All the big car hire companies have adequate child seats available for a few pounds extra. If I showed up at an airport with a baby and my lift didn't have a child seat I would not get in the car.
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - PoloGirl
As far as I recall, you need the seats unless it is an emergency/unplanned trip. Yours is clearly planned, sorry.

Is there no way you can get the seats that belong to the people you're picking up? Key to their house/car?

Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - uk_in_usa
You would be absolutely mad to transport 8 month old babies without proper restraint. If you hit the brakes at 60mph they will continue at the same speed unless in some sort of restraint. Don't do it!
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - storme
it may be a one off trip..but you can only kill them once
you knew the answer even before you posted.
get the seats.just borrow one from someone you know.
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - sirdave
Thanks all for the advice , looks like they cn catch the bus

Seems like I touched a raw neve with some of you though, as i don't have any children - hence dont have baby seats, and these are visitors from overeas so I can't use thier seats, it is not worth trying to do the favour.

Got the gist of it though, so bus it is.

Ta
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - Ian (Cape Town)
sirdave, have you tried phoning around, and seeing if there's a place which can hire you a few seats for a nominal charge?
I know locally we have such places.

Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - deepwith
Sir Dave, please carry on being gallant in offering the lift - anyone travelling with two babies will be on their knees by the time they get here!
You must have some family/friends/work colleagues who have children? Or they know people with children? Most people would be glad to lend you a seat for a day in the circumstances - infact, lots of us have seats (ours in the loft) left over from when our children needed them.
You could contact your local NCT (google them) and ask if they can help
It might also be worth checking with your travellers as to whether they are bringing seats with them - some do on long haul flights. Also could check with them if they are intending to hire them for their time here - as said above, nearly all car rental places also hire out seats - then you could collect seats for them.
I would add I am another one who would not dream of travelling with a child un-restrained. Good luck.
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - Mookfish
Have a look at www.kidsstuffrentals.co.uk they do car seat rental at £5. I have no experience of the company myself but they deliver the products to you and are london based. It's not clear on the website if the prices are weekly or daily though.

Another idea is freecycle, I know that baby seats are often offered on my local group, but with it being second hand you have to be sure its never been in an accident.
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - backtodiesel
sirdave,

It appears you can't win either way, so be prepared to offend someone!

chris
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - Gromit {P}
Who was it said no good deed goes unpunished? :-)

In your shoes, I'd be happy to do a friend a favour (as you are), but if there's cost involved in getting child seats, they should cover it. That said, I'd be reluctant to travel without proper seats - if the worst were to happen, you'd find it difficult to forgive yourself for not having them.

Do as Deepwith suggests and check if your passengers are bringing seats or convertable carry cots with them - if the cot can be strapped into an airplane seat (a requirement for travel, AFAIK), it should be possible to strap it into your car - and any other car or taxi they travel in during their stay.
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - Cliff Pope
You don't have to drive at 60 mph like a lunatic, tailgating, braking hard, swerving round corners. It is possible to drive slowly, defensively, and very carefully, as I do when carrying anything fragile, living or otherwise.
My children have just enjoyed a happy day haymaking, riding on farm trailers, perching on mudguards, climbing on haystacks. Not a child safety seat in sight.
The country has gone bonkers with health and safety, but nonetheless you are right to decline. Apart from the legal aspect, you sometimes cannot fight every self-righteous do-gooder and kill-joy, and just have to shrug and conform.
Console yourself with the thought that most parents do infinitely more harm to their children by feeding them junkfood and endless TV and computer games, and driving them to school because they are too fat to walk.
Not everyone drives defensively,for instance how do you prevent tail-gating with defensive driving ?
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - rtj70
"how do you prevent tail-gating with defensive driving"

In this circumstance the only thing you can do is lift off the accelerator to slow down gently. They will probably then back-off. Never jab the brakes or they might park in the boot.
It was a rhetorical question. Example today been out on the bike, whizzing hither and Tither. Coming home I approach a right turn (my lane) on a very straight and (despite the recent and very welcome 50mph limit) fast bit of road, I am being tailgated by a Transit van (driver on t'phone). I know in my heart of hearts, he's either going to slam into me or try to overtake, strawberry jam either way slowing down - which is what I want to do - won't achieve anything, so its cog down and open up and go around again, some people (tail gaiters for instance) don't respond to defensive driving. My fellow lane dwellers have children, he is a very careful driver (despite being a TV Producer !) and he is pink fluffy dice scared of this junction and people ramming him from behind, his kids are always safely strapped in.

Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - rtj70
Know of someone who used to deal with tailgaters by jabbing the breaks. He moved to near San Francisco and tried the same. They ran into the back of his car.. oops.

I know you knew the answer but it seemed a question for at least one of us to answer ;-)
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - milkyjoe
it only takes one bad trip for baby to go through the windscreen, how many babies, er sorry windscreens does your insurance cover you for?
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - nortones2
Third world fatatalism is used to excuse the possibility of injury to young children, in a society where the means are at hand to virtualy prevent nippers being thrown around like footballs. I suppose that's why there has to be a law introduced. The foolishness that prevails even where poverty is not an issue.
Baby seats - Do I need them for a one off trip ? - isisalar
The lunacy is of course that said infants and their parents have flown around the world somewhat restrained by nothing more than a primitive lapbelt.what's the survival rate in plane crashes?