1.2 litre 8 valve - no petrol getting to engine. - TWest23
a couple of weeks ago my corsa cut out while driving i had a mechanic take a look and he said as no petrol was getting to the engine he said i would need a new fuel pump at £200!! i got 1 for 30 and did it in ten mins ! but it still isnt working any advice plz.
no petrol getting in engine - Screwloose

And which bit of "include full vehicle details" are you having trouble understanding?
no petrol getting in engine - TWest23
sorry! 1. 2 petrol 8 valve L reg

Did your inept mechanic happen to mention if there was a spark at the plugs when cranking over?

no he just took off the fuel line at the carb and said no fuel going in!
no petrol getting in engine - Rattle
Erm weren't all Corsa's fuel injected?
i dont think it is!
no petrol getting in engine - Peter D
A screwloose has suggested 'no spark, faulty sensor is not detecting the engine rotation so fuel pump not kept running. Other possibility is the auto cut off sensor has triggered and shut the pump down. Regards Peter
thank you peter. how does the auto cut off senser work? so u suggest change plugs?

Where did you find that "mechanic?" That "carb" is a Multec centre-point fuel injection system.

Where was this fuel pump you replaced; in the tank? Have you checked the pump fuse?
I did not mention plugs. Establish if you have a spark or not. The cut off is normal in the event of an accident or harse landing or thump and a centifugal switch click off, usually just reset by pressing them. Regards Peter
Peter

Not sure if Vauxhall ran to an inertia switch on these - pretty basic.
no petrol getting in engine - Number_Cruncher
As Screwloose has hinted, way back, near the top of the thread, as well as checking the fuel, check to see if there's a spark.

If the crank angle sensor / distributor (delete as appropriate although I think it's a distributor containing a hall effect sensor on this engine) isn't sending a signal to make a spark, the fuel pump relay will also cut the supply to the pump. The best check is to check both for fuel delivery *and* for a spark.

It's most unlikely that there's an inertia switch - I don't think they are fitted on Vauxhalls - certainly not any of the ones I've worked on anyway.

Screwloose's diagnosis of your mechanic is, as ever, completely accurate!

Number_Cruncher
no petrol getting in engine - jc2
Carb or CFI-fuel should come out of the fuel supply pipe when cranking!!!Just the amount/pressure will differ.
no petrol getting in engine - Number_Cruncher
>>fuel should come out of the fuel supply pipe when cranking!!!

Yes, I don't think that's in question.

The logical blunder made by the mechanic is finding no fuel during cranking, and then saying that this *must* be the fuel pump, rather than checking with that most high tech of diagnostic devices, a test lamp, to see if the pump is being correctly switched on or not.

Number_Cruncher
no petrol getting in engine - GregSwain
Turn the ignition on with driver's door open, does the car make a whirring noise for a few seconds? If not, electricity isn't getting to the fuel pump. Dodgy fuse or relay maybe?
no petrol getting in engine - Rattle
I am amazed the mechanic has not checked for a voltage supply to the pump :(. This is what I hate about mechanics they are too quick to assume without actually doing scientific tests first. Thankfully most the people on here seem to actually know how engines work rather than just a spanner :D.
no petrol getting in engine - injection doc
find yourself another mechanic! bound to be simple, if its an old corsa with a dizzy thats the most common or ign module pack, with no induction to ecu from dizzy no fuel! Save your self stress & money & find a tech
Doc
Yes his mech was a waste of space. That's Screwloose, I was not sure if the corsa had an inertia switch or not, I thought it worth a mention as I assume the mech had checked for fuel at 'ignition turn on' when the fuel pump primes the without cranking information. We await the OP's return with information. Regards Peter
no petrol getting in engine - Dave D
I've got a 95 1.4 swing with the same problem. Has been cutting out intermitantly for a few months. Sometimes drives 200 yards then cuts out, always been able to start it again, but now it stopped and won't start.
I have a spark, poured some petrol down the inlet and cranked the engine, it fired.
You have mentioned a sensor and a relay, where do I find them so I can test for power to the fuel pump.

/DD
no petrol getting in engine - Stephen Tune Up (BTON)
99% of all cars with an electric fuel pump carb or PI has a inertia switch even the last carb montegos had them
no petrol getting in engine - bell boy
corsa b is the 1% without then because it doesnt have an inertia switch
an eml light that loves blackpool illumination yes, fuel cut off no,unless you count the tendancy for the relay to go
on an early corsa this is up behind the glove box (take box out )
on later ones its in the fuse box,i posted a picture up which one it was a few weeks ago