main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - brg190 pete
Today I visited a main dealer to test drive the petrol and diesel versions of a car I am interested in. Made an appointment in advance and arrived at 2pm as agreed.

When I got there, it was very busy, so I stood waiting for 30 mins. I asked to speak to another salesman but none were available - even though other staff were around. Just about to leave and the salesman I had spoken to comes over and said he would try to find another salesman to accompany me on the drives.

So I eventually get to see another guy. We don't get off to the best of starts when I say I want a car with the ivory leather interior. I know these are rarer than those with the black interior but there are some around. He says it will be very difficult to find and you don't want one of those as they lose their value very quickly. I find this statement contradictory. Anyway, I thought the customer is always right!

He asks for my annual mileage. When I say 14,000, he says you definitely want a diesel - I know for a fact that, at that sort of mileage, the choice between petrol and diesel is marginal.

Before we go on a drive, I ask him to fold down the rear seats so I can see how much space there is. After 5 mins trying, he says the seats don't fold. I know for a fact they do, so he trys again and eventually succeeds.

Off we go in the diesel. No fuel, so off to the fuel station. There he meets an attractive young lady and talks to her for 10 mins. Gets back in the car, no apology, and says that she works for Audi, which is where he also used to work, and they get better company cars. Considering he should be trying to sell me his company car, this seemed an odd comment!

He drives foot to the floor at all times, but this sort of behaviour just puts me off and makes me resolve never to buy an ex-demo car (oh dear, my current car was a demo!). He then remembers my interest in mpg, so he zeroes the counter - which is showing an appalling figure -then tootles along in too high a gear and remarks how good the mpg is.

Back to the showroom. I was expecting the hard sell now, but he just could'nt be bothered. He did ask if I had made an appointment for the test drives (as if to say what a waste of my time this was!)

I said I would find it difficult to choose between petrol and diesel, so it would come down to price. What is the typical price of a 3 yr old car? He says we have none of those and he can't give me typical prices, as all cars are different! I would need to decide what I wanted and then they would try to find me one.

I have been keeping an eye on the manufacturer website, so know there are cars at other dealerships. So I asked about getting a car from elsewhere in their system. I would have thought there would be 2 profit margins to consider and this concerns me. Don't worry, says he, they would pay sticker price to the first dealer and make no profit themselves. Why would you do this, say I? Because you're the customer, says he.

Frankly, I really liked the car and will definitely buy one, but no way from this dealership. The salesman knew less about his product than I did, and some of the things he said I just didn't believe. Perhaps the problem is that the car is in demand and the salesmen don't really need to try to sell their cars.
In light of the 'naming and shaming' policy, perhaps I should say that the car I am looking at is not a Nissan (despite my name!)
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Altea Ego
You can tell us what make and model of car it is.

And he is right on one thing. You really dont want an ivory coloured leather. You wont keep it clean and it will look tatty when you come to sell.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Pugugly {P}
Is there any passion in selling cars ?
Is there any passion in selling cars ?

No. Not any more.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Bill Payer
And he is right on one thing. You really dont want an ivory coloured leather.
You wont keep it clean and it will look tatty when you come to sell.

I've had light coloured leather in cars for years - I had a Peugeot 406 company car for 4 years and 120K miles with a light cream coloured leather and never had any trouble keeping it clean. I used Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

I'm guessing that the car here (with Ivory leather) is a Honda Accord, although the treatment sounds most un-Honda like.
I went to look at a 3 yr old car with the ivory leather interior today. Frankly a bit disappointed. As Altea says above, it looks a bit tatty, indeed somewhat grey.

If I was buying new, I would definitely go for the ivory, but second hand I think it will have to be the black leather.
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - injection doc
Well in March this year I tried to oeder a new fiesta for my wife & am actually still waiting for it now due september! 7 months later, its the new 1.6tdci 5dr Engines in short supply, well I went to 4 dealers & they didn't care less & had a job to get out of a chair!.
I wrote a thread on this issue & was told I was going to the wrong dealers, buy of the internet! well tried that as well & e-mailed 7 different companies & only got one reply & that was to be told I would have to wait 6 months. I'm glad to hear someone else finds the trade lethargic.
I went to a Jag dealer to order a new Jag only to be told they were closing in half an hour & to come back another day when I had read the brochure! boy did I have pleasure in going back the following weekend with my shiny new one and showing them what they had missed!, I think the salesman wasn't interested because I arrived in T shirt & jeans.
Doc
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Xileno {P}
Yet these characters will be the first to moan when economic slowdown occurs. They will, of course, blame something else. There is no bad patch in sales, just bad salesmen.
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - henry k
>>I think the salesman wasn't interested because I arrived in T shirt & jeans.
>>
They never learn

IIRC Mike Hailwood and another top driver, in similar atire, got the same effect in the main MB sales room on the A4 at Brentford.
So they went off and bought a couple of Citroen SMs. :-)
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Ruperts Trooper
Car salespeople have a job to do, sell cars at the highest possible margin, regardless of what the customer actually wants.

We all start out with the concept that salespeople are there to assist us buy what we want, but most of us soon get disillusioned.

Find another dealer!
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - stunorthants26
Try buying from a Kia or Hyundai dealer. Both my local ones are superb and make the case for going back as they bend over backwards before and after sale, regardless of how busy they are.

When my mum was test driving her Hyundai Coupe, they were very busy but a salesman stopped to take our enquiry and very quickly jumped between customers to get our test drive sorted while handing over another car. When we got back he spent a half hour with us going through the car.

Needless to say, we bought the car, from that dealer and we got no snide remarks about colour and spec, they just ordered what we wanted.

Some sales persons are really in the wrong job. Im currently selling my Fiat and a punter rang up today, asked alot of intelligent questions which I easily answered and I also had much background information about the cars in general which she didnt know and thanked me for broadening her knowledge on the car and can she come see it tomorrow.

Its really not THAT hard to be a good salesman and last time I got a bad one, I asked to see the manager as I wanted a salesman who knew what he was doing. Never seen a guy go so red in the face, he was looking for a rock to hide under when the boss came out.
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Dalglish
The salesman knew less about his product than I did, and some of the things he said I just didn't believe. Perhaps the problem is that the
car is in demand and the salesmen don't really need to try to sell their cars.

see the other thread "Trading in for new/second hand"
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=55125&...e

main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - bathtub tom
Went to pick up a new MX5 in a twenty-year-old Panda, I was wearing T-shirt, shorts and sandals.
'You can't park that there'
Oh what fun I had!

I'm sure I've posted this before.
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Pugugly {P}
I had similar fun going to the BMW dealer in my mid nineties (and then un-restored) Landie....Can't park there was gruffed at me as well.....I did anyway.
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - bathtub tom
I went to look at a not very old motor I was considering, advertised at a local main dealer. I pointed out superficial damage, and was told it would be repaired after I'd paid a deposit.
No sale!
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Collos25
Anybody who goes into a biggish franchise dealer we see the salesman use the Pendle method of selling they get you seated and chat a while disappear to ask the so-called manager a question return chat a while disappear to ask another question chat while drop some papers in front of you to sign,believe me it works 50% of the time its a well thought out method slightly hypnotic the art is just knowing how far to or deep to go into the customers pocket.We call it the pendulum method because the salesman is always going backwards and forwards.
Whereas the used car lot the dealer uses a bit of polite charm gets the old book out gauges the customer and gives an instant cost to trade proceed then to the HP agreement where he really makes his money.

Duplicate posts deleted - PU
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Dipstick
"I had similar fun going to the BMW dealer in my mid nineties (and then un-restored) Landie"

I have to say the image evoked by that sentence alters entirely once you hit the first bracket.

main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - deepwith
Primero man, if you think you had bad service, try being a woman looking for a car! When I was left with insurance money after mondeo written off and at the same time got a small inheritance I decided to buy a car that I really really wanted. Got lots of help here.
Asked for a brochure, on the phone, for a large estate - sent info on small hatch - off list then.
Arranged a test drive, got there, and was told they hadn't got what I wanted as the salesman had gone on holiday - no offer to help.
Ignored completely in several dealerships - in one two salesmen were playing silly b's - soon as we went in they picked up their phones and were smirking, obviously talking to each other. Took husband with me and I had obviously lost the power to communicate - even after husband pointed out that I was talking to them, I was buying the car, I was going to be the only driver, I had the money.
List of possible dealerships getting very short here.
Eventually found our way to a car salesroom actually run by the manufacturer where they wanted to sell, I bought two cars and have had brilliant service ever since, despite there being a dealership for this make within 5 miles, would rather deal with Southampton lot!
Often wonder if we should have gone in convoy round the other dealerships to say 'yah, boo, sucks'....
>try being a woman looking for a car

Yup I can appreciate this. Happened to me three times, twice with my mother and once with the wife. They seem to think the woman is a transparent ghost.

The worse was the recent one to buy the new clio. The wife phones up, booked a test drive in HER name and when we arrive the salesman asked me If I had MY driving license. Scuse me dipstick do I look like Mrs Altea Ego?

And do you know the daft thing? If you want to sell a car, and they arrive as a couple you sell to the woman. It works every time as any proper old time car salesman will tel you, if the wife wants it its as good as sold.

What happened to the days of old where you were frightened to go into a car showroom, knowing the salesmen were so good you could only escape several thousand pounds lighter?
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - MichaelR
Some if the independant BMW dealers around here would point blank refuse to even talk to me when I was looking for my 5 Series. Even after walking into their offices they'd simply walk out back, or just tell me they were busy when I asked for some information.

I did actually pop back the worst one in question after I got my 5 just for a laugh. Parked it in full view of the office, the guy came rushing out asking if there was anything he could help me with.

I told him not now, no, but had he been a little more polite the first time..
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - Falkirk Bairn
A few years back my son was looking to buy a car at £14,500 and had been offered £4K as P/E. However, an advert appeared in the local rag of £1,000 off the car - off we went to the dealer and the conversation went roughly.

Son - "I see there is £1,000 off".

The dealer agreed but then said the P/E was to be £3,000.

My son then said that was illogical.

Dealer -" I sell the cars and I decide the prices and the T/I values".

Son - "I decide where I spend my money" turned and left by the nearest door.
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - installer
Well in March this year I tried to oeder a new fiesta for my wife
& am actually still waiting for it now due september! 7 months later.

>>it's the new 1.6tdci

My Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.6 tdci was ordered from a main dealer in March (Built in Cologne) and I was driving it at the end of April.
main dealer-do they really want to sell me a car? - injection doc
Well I tried all the internet sites & dealers all around the south east & south west & they all said the same thing, there are loads of 3drs but not 5dr with climate & technology pack & power mirrors etc. We hopefully now recive ours Saturday week. The dealer has rung to say its finally in the country. Its been in the dealers interest to get the car because they have had to stick to the deal & the p X is now 6 months older & done another 5000 miles, so they have been trying
Doc