- Battery drain problem? - ironeagleuk
Going back to an original problem I had here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42212&...e

I have since bought a new alternator

Due to electrics problems, I bought myself an internal volt meter, which enables me to see the voltage as I drive the car.

I bought a new battery the other day thinking that my previous one was getting abit old now, so that may be a weak point.

For the first day or so of having the new battery, whilst driving, the voltage showed 13-13.5 volts.

But now, just a few days later, the voltage while driving drops to 11.7v.

At night, with the lights on, and the bloweres on, the voltage is barly above 11 volts.

Is there anything else that could be draining the voltage?

As I said, I have changed the alternator, and the battery.....both in the last 6 months.

Shouldn't the nomal running voltage be at least 13 volts?
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - Screwloose

Yes; this sounds like the new alternator has failed too.

What's happening to the warning light now?

How tight is the drive belt?
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - ironeagleuk
The warning light has remained working correctly (off while engine is running, on when ignition is on) since the new alternator has been fitted....which must be a good 6 months now.

The drive belt (alternator belt) is another thing.....for over a year now, I've not been able to stop it doing an initial short squeal when I change gear......it's not a permanent one, just when changing gear.

I don't want to over tighten it for fear of making it too tight, and have been warned that it could wear out the bearings on the crank.

The belt was replaced about a year ago....so should still be ok.

I was wondering if there was anything else that could affect it...like perhaps the coil taking too much power or something similar.
iron eagle

There's your problem. Tighten your drive belt; until it goes twang! Wearing bearings was a dynamo-era problem; total myth these days.

Thanks for your quick and helpful replies......I'll give it a go when I get chance....probs won't be before the weekend though.

I would have thought though that if the belt was tight enough not to squeal while driving normally that there would be enough of a rotation for it to bring the battery charge up to it's normal running voltage
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - mjm
Under heavy electrical load the belt may be slipping but not enough to squeal. I would check that the belt is running on the side of the groove and not on the bottom of the pulley, if it's a single "V" belt, or if the flat outer part of the belt is running on the top of the pulley if it's a multi-groove belt. The sides of the belt should be doing the work.
It's a multi-groove belt and pulley, and am pretty sure it's fitted correctly...ie, it's sitting in the grooves of both pulleys (crank and alternator)
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - Collos25
Unlkess your volt meter is a traceable intrument then it good quite easily be +/- 10%,if the car starts without problems whats the worry.
Unlkess your volt meter is a traceable intrument then it good quite easily be +/-
10% if the car starts without problems whats the worry.

You spoke to soon :)

The voltage meter am using in the car is one of these: www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product...9

I checked it against a digital ac/dc multi-meter the other day, and it seems very accurate
Things came to a head this morning :(

We had a torrential downpour overnight for a good few hours, and the car must have got abit damp out there.

I tried to fire her up.....but the engine was turning, but not firing.

I tried this for a few minutes, but eventually the starting voltage reduced from 12.3v volts down to 11 volts, which wasn't enough to turn her over anymore.

So I got my girlfriends car out to jump start it....connected the jump leads, started her car, and immdeiately the voltage on my car went up to 13.5 volts...and this was without trying to turn the engine over.

I tried turning the engine over several times.....but it still wouldn't fire up.

Eventually I got the WD40 out and sprayed the leads around the distributor cap and the coil.

The car fired up with abit of a struggle after a couple of times.

I left the cars connected for a few minutes, and gave mine a few revs to get the battery charged abit.

As soon as I disconnected the jump leads, the voltage on my car dropped to 12volts, but was still running ok.

But the voltage had dropped so much before connecting the jump leads, my stereo had lost its memory :(

On the journey back to mine, I drove around 2 miles, 1 mile of which was upto 70mph along a stretch of the M20.....I just hope it's enough to have have put some charge back into the battery for when I go back out there in about 20minutes for my journey to work.

Something definately isn't right on the charging side.....but there is some charge getting through otherwise the battery wouldn't maintain 12+volts when not under heavy usage.

Do "we" still think this is the drive belt?
My journey to work was abit nerve wracking.

The voltage fluctuated between 11.2V and 11.8volts.

But as soon as I got to work, and turned the engine off, the voltage increased to 12.1volts.

Am sorry I keep posting about this, but thought the more info I give, the better it is for you good people to perhaps put your finger on the problem.
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - Civic8
Your charging seems ok to me,but you do seem to have an HT problem,so I would replace HT leads dizzy cap rotor arm then check coil out....
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - jc2
Battery voltage with engine running and headlights on should be around 13v.Also your voltmeter should be wired thro' the ignition so that it does not read with engine off.
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - normd2
I have one of these cars too. The previous owner had had the alternator replaced less than two years ago - I had to replace it some a few months after I bought it. At first I thought it had been the battery that was causing similar issues to that which you describe but it turned out to be the alternator again. Unless you've access to a lift or pit be prepared to spend some time on your knees adjusting the belt - the adjuster is low down on the left out of sight - if it ever squeals it isn't tight enough.
ironeagle
Am sorry I keep posting about this but thought the more info I give the
better it is for you good people to perhaps put your finger on the problem.

The only bit of info needed is; "Have you tightened the belt?"
I should have sais at least 13v.-closer to 14v. would be better.
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - injection doc
have you checked the earth wire by the n/s front head lamp that goes from body to battery? these were notorious for giving problems with corrosion & high resitance!You could also put a jump lead from the engine to the earth terminal of the battery & see if the voltage goes up! or use a voltmeter & put one pin on the engine ( somewhere metal) and the other pin on the earth terminal of the battery & you should have zero -.3 of a volt any more than that & theres your problem, with electrical items on of course & engine running
Regards Doc
Well?????????????
Well?????????????

I've performed voltage checks......it varies all the time.

Sometimes when the car is running it's 12.7v....and does go upto a max of 13.1v.

I've not had chance yet to adjust the alternator belt, as the weather has been atrocious.....and I guess is contributing to the problem with regard to needing lights and wipers on, and making the engine bay damp.

I just hope the weather improves at the weekend so I can do some work on the car.
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - injection doc
have you checked those earth cables, ask any AA man they will tell you how many call outs just for a carp earth cable
Yes I checked the earthing....it was fine.....and there wasn't an spurious voltages either.
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - milkyjoe
have you considered the voltage regulator in the alternator, or a dodgy diode pack?
ironeagle

Turn on the headlights, the heater fan and the heated rear window - nothing else. Run the engine at 2000 revs and see what the voltage is across the battery.

Also check the temperature of the alternator drive pulley immediately after you've stopped it. If it's red hot [get someone else to touch it] then the belt is slipping.
have you considered the voltage regulator in the alternator or a dodgy diode pack?

I have....but not checked it yet, as the alternator is only about 6 months old....and the weather hasn't been good enough to work on the car for any prolonged time.
>>Sometimes when the car is running it's 12.7v....and does go upto a max of 13.1v.

Are you having any problems with the electrics on the car apart from the voltage variation??

I have never come across a Rover with a steady voltage so yours is no different
>>Sometimes when the car is running it's 12.7v....and does go upto a max of 13.1v.
Are you having any problems with the electrics on the car apart from the voltage
variation??

The battery seems to discharge to a point whereby the stereo loses it's preset stations....but the clock built into the dashboard doesn't reset.

This morning the car started ok...just.
Left the car all day for around 6 hours....and had to jump start it from a spare car battery I am carrying around.
Drove about 2 miles to a supermarket, and couldn't jump start the car....both discharged. Got a jump start at supermarket, drove about 1.5 miles back, left car for 2 hours....again wouldn't start, so had to bump start it.

The voltage seems to drop considerably when I am driving and have to put the lights on. When am driving it can be as high as 13.1v....but when I put the lights on, and perhaps use the stereo and/or the blower, it can drop to as low as 12volts, if not lower.

I have a spare regulator I can try once I can get round to checking out the alternator etc.
ironeagle

Why are you making this such hard work?

Everything you've described is 100% consistent with a slipping drive belt - you even admit that you can hear it slipping.

Tighten it!
Rover 214SLi 1994 - Battery drain problem? - GregSwain
Everything you've described is 100% consistent with a slipping drive belt

Agreed, tighten it so that the longest run has about 1/2 an inch of play in the centre. It won't do the pulleys any harm at this tension. If this fails to address the slipping, slap a nice new unperished belt on and tension nice and taut as described. THEN if the voltage hasn't perked up a bit, look at the alternator. Cheapest things first.
Assuming you bought a new alternator and not a secondhand unit (from breakers).

I would get the ecu checked out,its possible the main relay is not being shut down by ecu after ignition switch is turned off which will cause your problem

Check coil + for voltage with ignition off (but leave it for 5 minutes before checking)gives ecu chance to switch relay off
I spent several hours at the weekend working on the car....to no avail.

I tightened the alternator belt as much as I dare.....but it still squealed slightly when pulling away, and didn't improve the charging problem.

We checked the starter motor connections, and cleaned them up.

We changed the location of the earthing from the battery to the body work, as it looked like it may be slightly corroded, and not providing a good eletrical connection.

We checked the wiring from the battery....there were 3 wires from the positive, 2 thick, and one thin. The thin wire upon inspection looked like it had been getting rather hot, and some of the braids had either corroded, or broken under usage for the last 13 years. With the engine running, these wires were rather hot. We replaced this length of cable, incase there wasn't enough current getting through.

After carrying out the above, I thought we had solved the problem. Packed up....took the car or a drive, and it stalled, and wouldn't restart due to lack of power in the battery.

This was on Monday.
On Friday I had phoned to book my car in for yesterday at a garage to get the circuit and charging looked at, and repaired if necessary.

On Tuesday morning I decided I ought to take the car to the garage, as there was no point in having it at my house.

My girlfriend tried to jump start the car for me, but as the battery power was so low, the immobiliser had cut in, and wouldn't switch off. So I had to send her on her way to work.
I disconnected the earth lead on the battery for 10 seconds, and reconnected to reset the immobiliser...this worked, and I was able to try and start the car again.
I called my girlfriends dad to try and jump start my car. It still wouldn't start, and the jump leads were getting rather warm.

So I resorted to calling the RAC out expecting to have them tow me to the garage.
The RAC man immediately managed to jump start my car.
He checked the voltage, and agreed it was low, and then checked to make sure all the relays in the fusebox under the bonnet were ok....they were.
He thought it could be the alternator, but commented it looked new, and I confirmed this by telling him it was only aboout 6 months old.
He then removed the 3 pin connetor on the alternator, and looked at it.
He noticed that the middle pin of the plastic plug was slightly melted, and came to the conclusion that the spade connector wasn't making a good connection.
He fiddled with it, and bent it slightly in order that it would make a better connection....and it did.
Voltage immediately went up to 14volts, and there was a charge going through to the battery.
He suggested replacing the 3 pin connector.

He went away, and I took the car for a drive, and the voltage remained at 13+volts
When I put main beam on, and the blowers, the voltage goes down to a minimum of 12.6volts now.

I still took the car to the garage for them to check it over....and the conclusion they came to was that the 3 pin alternator connector needed replacing.

They did this, and it cost me £32 to have that replaced, and the rest of the charging circuit checked. All else was fine.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions guys....at least I have made some changes that needed to be made.

Would it be a good idea to change the alternator belt now?....also the power steeering pump belt?...hoepfully to try and get rid of this squeal?

Sorry this is so long winded.....but I thought it best to include as much info as possible to help anyone else with similar problems