Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - Boggy
Anyone noticed how even the most modern Jap cars, especially grey imports, have very cheap looking retro fit fog lights hanging under the back bumper? Even properly fitted into the bumpers or rear panels, you can tell they're not factory fitted. Are they not a legal requirement in the land of the rising sun, or do they simply not have fog in Japan?
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - Bill Payer
Presumeably they're not required in Japan.

I *think* they're a European thing - I'm always surprised US cars don't have rear fogs - they certainly have pea-soupers in some parts of America

sniquote
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - GregSwain
It's just lazy design - Almeras have foglights within the rear light cluster, as do most cars which have been properly adapted for the European market. The foglights on the new Mitsubishi Lancer look cheap, and detract from an otherwise decent-looking car.
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - jase1
Hmmm, not so sure that's confined to Japanese cars though Greg.

Lots of cars have the second reverse light replaced with the foglight. This, to my mind, is even more lazy than the extra one on the bumper.

Also, the Peugeot idea of putting the light in the middle rather than to the right hand side, to get around having to change it for LHD/RHD.

In fact to be honest I can't remember a recent car that hasn't taken one shortcut or another regarding rear fogs... (cue the long list of cars, I know I know!)
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - storme
its not a lazy design

if it is sold for the japanese market..eg my mitsubushi fto...it dont need a rear fog light

if it is then imported into this country..like my fto, then it needs varous things doing to it for eu approval (type approval)

1 of those things needed is a rear fog light...
now.. if it is done cheaply, they bolt a fog light to the back..as stated above, and it looks crap...
but if its dont properly,then it is either in the rear bumper or wired into the double brake lights
when my rear fogs are on it lights up my second brake light...eg i have two on the left and two on the right of the car,,,when fogs are on 1 left and 1 right are on...leaving 1 left and 1 right brake light to shine!!!!

hope that is clear!!
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - Screwloose

Yep; that's clear - and I hope that there's still 100mm between the lighted surfaces.
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - Aprilia
snipquote
Yes, this is a standard mod on the FTO and passes SVA inspection.
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - GregSwain
if it is sold for the japanese market..eg my mitsubushi fto...it dont need a rear fog light

I appreciate that a grey-import will need an after-market rear fog light to pass its SVA test, but I was talking about cars made (but not sold) abroad, which haven't been adapted very well for the European/British market prior to selling them new here.
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - Ruperts Trooper
I understand that in Germany cars only have one foglight, on their offside so German brands, sold here, have just the one but moved to our offside.

For decades, all Vauxhalls (except the Nova) had two foglights, regardless of where they're built, but recent models only have one lamp, to avoid upsetting the canbus and bulb failure wiring.
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - Aprilia
I understand that in Germany cars only have one foglight on their offside so German
brands sold here have just the one but moved to our offside.

Yes, loads have a rear fog lamp on our offside only (in line with legal requirement). If you want bulbs both sides then order a rear light cluster for the LHS of a LHD car (you dealer will get you one) - not a cheap way to get an extra bulb though!
Aftermarket fog lights on Japanese cars - Bilboman
Twin rear foglights used to be commonplace, especially in RHD markets, but some research *apparently* showed there was less confusion between brake lights and foglights if only one foglight was fitted. I seem to remember a LOT of confusion when late model Citroën BXs and Sierras suddenly swapped brakelights and foglights over, to pair up sidelights with foglight(s) and leave brakelights as separate units.