2.0 Ecotec - problems after cleaning bits - happyvaux
Hi all, 2.0L 16v auto, 120k

cleaned my idle valve recently, due to it cutting-out. I took the opportunity to also clean the throttle housing fully and checked all hoses etc. I have the oil separator mod. fitted and it's ok too. I've read loadsa posts about it recently.

Now after the clean, it doesn't cut-out, but it holds revs at 1200-1500 approaching traffic lights and if I put it in neutral, it swings between 1500 and 2500 rpm. There's no EMS problem, as the light only comes-on during ignition/startup. I thought if there's a problem with cam/crank sensors, my EMS light would come on.

Any ideas?

Pete

Slight tweak to abbreviation to make future searching easier - PU
2.0 Vauxhall Ecotec - problems after cleaning bits - John S
Regretably, cleaning the Idle Speed Control Valve doesn't always work. Worth another try as there may still be some debris in there. Not unknown that they need replacement if they don't respond to cleaning, and after this mileage I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

JS
2.0 Vauxhall Ecotec - problems after cleaning bits - injection doc
quite common, make sure you don't have an air leak from a gasket as the rev's sound higher than normal after a clean. You could try adjusting the throttle stop turning it back quarter of a turn at a time. this is actually factory set & should only be adjusted by obtaining the correct throttle pot voltage, but worth turning back incase someone eralier on in its life had already turned it in to compensate for stalling. If you have a volt meter you can connect to the switch & set approx, I think but im sure some one will correct my error .53-.58 of a volt is fairly near,& adjust by throttle stop screw. If you mark screw before you start you can always put it back
Regards Doc
2.0 Vauxhall Ecotec - problems after cleaning bits - happyvaux
thanks,

I know this particular idle valve hasn't been on for the full 120k, more like 40k-60k as I replaced one when I 1st had problems many years ago before I knew they could be cleaned. In fact I recall at one point, a techie at Vauxhall put a voltmeter on the throttle potentiometer and adjusted it, due to cutting-out. I think this is what Doc is talking about.

Eventually, whilst stopped at traffic lights and still in Drive, the revs go usually down to c. 1000 if I'm there for a while, so I don't think it's set to idle too fast. I get the impression that the valve's sticking, but I can't account for the 'hunting' as I've heard some people call it.

I know that the idle valve gasket is intact from when I cleaned it recently as is the one under the throttle housing. I can't see why the revs would swing up and down though in neutral after driving.

Cheers,

Pete

2.0 Vauxhall Ecotec - problems after cleaning bits - injection doc
Pete
hunting normally caused by air leak!. no harm in trying throttle stop back 1/4 turn or even half & see how it responds or when the revs are still high try tapping idle valve, if it drops back you know its a lazy valve!
Doc