Online licence renewal - Lud
I read in a post yesterday or so that renewing your car's RFL online is a very painless option.

I've just done it, and it is.
Online licence renewal - rtj70
Done it about three times now. Painless and the disk arrived in about 1-2 working days!

Downside is the local post office loses business...
Online licence renewal - Dwight Van Driver
If you used your Credit Card then its £2.50 more than dropping in at the PO and at the PO you don't risk losing it in the post?

dvd
Online licence renewal - Lud
I would willingly pay someone £2.50 to comb through all the bumf in a panic, which is what I usually have to do.

Post is in the lap of the gods of course. But if it gets lost they send you another, not so?
Online licence renewal - freddy1
and there is no charge for debit cards,

ironicly , a moped i sold to a guy on ebay 10 mths ago , has just esultedin a tax discbeing sent o me ,,,
presumethat the DVLA have,nt recieved the log book i sent back , and they are applying tax from the No on the new user section

alan
Online licence renewal - Aprilia
ironicly a moped i sold to a guy on ebay 10 mths ago has just
esultedin a tax discbeing sent o me
presumethat the DVLA have nt recieved the log book i sent back

Maybe they got confused by what you wrote on the form.. ;-)
Online licence renewal - boxsterboy
Maybe they got confused by what you wrote on the form.. ;-)

LOL
Online licence renewal - tyro
See also

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41715

Online licence renewal - GregSwain
I'd rather go to the PO. I keep my insurance & MOT certs in a safe place, so painless just walking in, presenting them with all the paperwork and walking out with a tax disc in your hand. I'm certainly not a technophobe (I use Linux which isn't the most user-friendly), but I still don't agree that the internet should take over everything. Another example is bank statements - you'd have to be loopy to decline a free paper statement in favour of "online" statements that aren't useable as proof of address/income etc.
Online licence renewal - martint123
My credit card pays 4% cashback at the moment, so losing the £2.50 for CC payment is worth it.
Last time I went to the post office to tax one of the bikes they wrote the disc up for six months - probably being used to the car rate. My fault that I didn't spot it until I got home and had to go back.
Couple years ago the wife taxed her tax in the PO (obviously before the end of the month). But they did it wrong and we lost a month! Did not spot it until it was the next reminder as I did not know it was wrong!
Online licence renewal - MagDrop
I?ve renewed my tax this way 7 times now and done a similar number of online SORNs too. It?s a breeze, unlike the Post Office where in the past I?ve had arguments over names on insurance docs.. Arguments which are embarrassing because of the queue behind, but which they always lose. (The cars were left behind by offspring when they were temporarily overseas). After I complained to the DVLA ?further training? was arranged for the staff in my local PO. You don?t get any of this online, nor funny looks when you renew with only a couple of day?s MoT left. If on their database it?s got MoT valid on the date of coming into force and the Registration Number is insured you get your tax disc - usually within 3 days I?ve found. Brilliant.
Online licence renewal - Chris White
you'd have to be loopy to decline a free paper statement in favour of "online" statements that >> aren't useable as proof of address/income etc.

I've not got paper statements for some time from my bank and not had a problem printing out and presenting online statments for a remortgage recently.

Also, have recently used online license renewal and found it to be very painless. The only chance I get to go to a post office is in my lunch break. Unfortunately, this is the same as a lot of other people and I waste 15-20 minutes on my time in queues waiting to be served. I live in Eastbourne and they used to have 2 post offices serving the town centre but now cut down to one because of budget cuts or something.

Chris
In less than one mile radius we have 3 post offices but whilst all doing basic services:

- One does tax discs
- One does passports and travel money
- Third struggles but has a shop

Will all survice? No? I support the third as much as I can, especially as easier to park being on a more residential location than the other two.
Online licence renewal - 659FBE
I use the Post Office in order to help keep them in business for less able-bodied customers than me.

I can't stand queues and small-minded staff.

For the cost of a second class stamp, I renew my tax by post. I've never had any kind of a problem with this.

I've not got paper statements for some time from my bank and not had a
problem printing out and presenting online statments for a remortgage recently.

You've been very lucky - I've recently opened a second current account, and applied to have my mail redirected when I move house. For both of these routine applications, the forms-of-ID list specifically said "photocopies and internet printouts not acceptable". I still stand by my assertion that declining a free service from a bank is madness.

Anyway, back to the topic - VEDs. Perhaps the reason for the "budget cuts" closing one of your town's post offices is that fewer people were using them for taxing their cars etc? ;-)
Online licence renewal - Robin Reliant
I would never bother with the post offce for taxing my car again, too time consuming. The argument about keeping rural PO's in business for the elderly to draw their pensions doesn't hold water. They still have to go into town to do their shopping, so they can use the main post office there.
--
Online licence renewal - Stuartli
There are other ways of proving who you are, including Council Tax statements, utilities etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Online licence renewal - Cliff Pope
I agree. Very easy. I use it for regular tax, SORN, "historic vehicle" and agricultural vehicle, so it copes with most circumstances.
But there has been a recent alarm about rogues in the DVLA getting hold of card details.
There are other ways of proving who you are including Council Tax statements utilities etc.

It's a matter of principle as well though - all banks make a fortune out of their customers, surely getting a few pennies back out of them by accepting a free service is common sense? I like to keep good financial records that don't look like cheap photocopies too. I know someone who recently had to pay their local branch of a very large "worldwide" bank to receive a statement in order to prove her income to get a mortgage. If she'd kept receiving free monthly statements, she wouldn't have had to pay a penny.

I've also never had a problem with getting my tax-disc at a post office, but each to their own I suppose. If you don't leave it to the last minute, queues are minimal (I usually get mine around the middle of the month), and you walk out with it in your hand.
Online licence renewal - Xileno {P}
I like to support the local PO in the village. For a lot of the old pensioners it's their life line. It's disgraceful the way they are closing.
Online licence renewal - Chris White
If you don't leave it to the last minute
queues are minimal

I've found that the queues are the same at my post office whether I leave it until the last minute or go in the middle of the month....... ;-)

Chris