Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - billy25
Heres a little moral question that i found being asked on anothr forum (Martins Money Tips), of course the names are hypothetical, but it is a situation which i'm sure does exist in the real world.
What do other B/R's think?

Lewis gives his colleague Fernando a lift to work most days of the year, as otherwise Fernando would have to get an hour-long bus journey instead of the 20 minute car ride. Lewis rarely uses his car outside work, and come MOT time, there are a number of maintenance costs; new tyres, new brake pads and an oil change, totalling £300. As Fernando is in the car during most of its use, Lewis thinks he should shoulder half of the cost, but Fernando thinks as it's Lewis?s car, it?s his cost.

Billy

{Car related, so kicks out of the IHAQ thread - DD}
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - adverse camber
Lewis is about to find that it is no longer convenient to provide a lift.

Of course if he wanted a contribution to the running costs he should have said something rather than suddenly asking for £150.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - local yokel
Lewis has just discovered that offering to provide a service without agreeing the terms of the service provision is a bad idea.

At the outset he should have said "Fernando - I don't use my car out of work, and you are benefiting from me running the car to the office and back, so while I'm happy to take you, I'd like you to pay £x.xx a week to recognise that benefit, and to help me cover the costs of running the car. In return I'll do my best to give you a lift each day, and if I can't, then there's no charge for that day."

Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - Lud
Obviously they are both boorish idiots.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - OldHand
Lewis is paying the price for being a pushover. Alonso got a free ride- well done Alonso.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - krs one
Lewis should sell his car and get the bus.
Fernando should be pleased that ABBA wrote a song about him.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - DP
Fernando cannot be held responsible for individual bills on the car, but should have been making an agreed "flat rate" contribution to the running costs based on the amount he's saving by not using public transport. In London for example, this saving could amount to hundreds of pounds a month.

The normal system for a car share is to alternate drivers and cars on a daily or weekly basis to share costs among participants, but in this case it's not possible. Therefore Fernando should have been chipping in regularly.

Lewis has been a complete idiot, but it's too late now to expect Fernando to pay for the repairs. Swallow it in this instance, and start asking Fernando to contribute a set amount per month or week from now on. Use the saving here to pay for future repairs.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - francisco
Most insurers allow 'car sharing' but, when a single vehicle is used to provide lifts and money is accepted from the person (or persons) getting the lift, then the driver needs to ensure that he is not violating the clause in his policy which prohibits use for 'hire or reward'. Not all insurers take the same view on this. If Fernando pays up as asked, Lewis could find himself in trouble.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - Stuartli
>>Not all insurers take the same view on this. >>

As far as I remember all insurers agreed quite a number of years ago with the Government that anyone providing lifts for such reasons could accept payment, but only to cover the expenses involved.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - Martin Devon
Lewis could find himself in trouble.

You mean uninsured!

MD
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - Bromptonaut
It's Lewis's car and presumably he'd use it for work irrespective of Fernando. F could/should show his gratitude by returning another favour and/or donating bottle/flowers for Mrs Lewis or whatever on a regular basis. Unreasonable of Lewis to expect F to pay 50% of running cost though unless there was some prior agreement.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - tyro
Well, it would have been nice if Fernando had offered without being asked, but it was completely inappropriate for Lewis to ask for a contribution. As has been said, he would have been driving to work anyway. I might not have phrased it in quite the same way as Lud, but . . .
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - MrWednesday
I'm with the yokel.
Many moons ago I worked night shift in a part of Glasgow which wasn't ideal to get to by public transport. Typically three other guys who worked there as well got a lift with me. I always did my best to ensure I could make it, and as yokel said, if I didn't manage, the guys didn't pay. As for the cost, I took thirty percent of the cost of the public transport travel card fee. It meant that at the end of each month, it would cover all the fuel costs, but none of the tax / mot / service costs.

Everyone was happy, and we all made a 'profit' from it. Was a good laugh as well.

I think possibly that Fernado and Lewis may not have as good a social relationship as this type of 'lift to work' gig needs. Who wants to be a taxi driver to folk you share nothing in common with?

At the end of the day, Lewis can still get to work in comfort and with no public transport issues - he really isn't any worse off. (Never rely on money / payment which hasn't been agreed on.) I'm pretty sure after a couple of weeks on the bus old Fernando will be putting his hand in his pocket to buy some humble pie, or looking for alternate transport / job. If he is upset, Lewis is better off doing the commute alone. Who needs the hassle?

Fernando should have made an offer. Lewis should have accepted it in whole or in part. If Fernando made no offer, and Lewis wanted some money, he should have said so. And Fernando would have agreed.

Not to make the offer is boorish and idiotic on Fernando's part. To have kept quiet until the bill was £150 was pure boorish idiocy on Lewis's part.

Couple of wallies.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - III
I think you might have to pay this one yourself but as you now know the cost there should be a change to the arrangement. If Fernando does not understand I am sure there is a bus close to his home.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - GregSwain
Lewis should've asked for "petrol money" from day one. A quid or 2 every day would be the equivalent of a bus-fare, and nobody objects to parting with money in small amounts in exchange for a service. Because he suddenly realised he was out of pocket, he's asked his workmate to pay for half his servicing bill?! Idiot.

If I were Fernando I'd be switching alliances and asking Kimi for a lift in future.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - ForumNeedsModerating
The answer, of course, is that this is entirely the business of the two (even if hypothetical) protagonists. To have any point of view, position or interest, logically one must have a stake in its outcome. So, billy25, you should un-ask the question.
Sorry Woodbines, I'm afraid I don't totally agree, i'm not asking on behalf of "real" people, what i should of said is: i've found a "hypothetical" question being asked, which of course is using "hypothetical" names, but which i'm sure does exist in "real" life.
So I feel i can fairly ask others opinions without the need for "an interest"?

Sorry if i've mis-led you!

Billy
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - BazzaBear {P}
So billy25 you should un-ask the question.

Indeed, since we all know that the observation of any system changes that system, Billy may have already irrevocably harmed Lewis and Fernando's relationship with this thread.
When I used to work, there were four of us in our car-school, three drivers/car-owners, and one non-driver. Our arrangement, which seemed to work well amongst ourselves was that each of the drivers took it in turn to drive a set of shifts,(and stand any maintainence costs) and the non-driver paid the fuel costs for the set of shifts, (this was usually about £20). If the non-driver wasn't travelling that week, it was just the luck-of-the-draw and who-ever's turn it was to drive copped for the fuel expense (uaually created a bit of jest on an otherwise mundane journey). If any driver couldn't fulfill his "turn" whoever stood in for him was "owed one" which could be claimed at any time.
We never gave any thought to insurance implications, so it is lucky none of us had an accident on a work run in nearly 20 years!. although one of us usually stayed awake after night shift as Gordon had a habit of nodding off now and again!.

Billy
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - Big Bad Dave
I have to drop my two little children off at playschool everyday and collect them again. This takes me out of my way and onto an un-made road which does the car no good at all. They have several thousand pounds each in savings accounts and could easily afford to contribute to the motoring cost.

Should I charge them according to how much time this takes (i.e. my hourly rate), for how much the petrol would cost for this part of the journey or simply take the equivalent bus fare (they would have to catch two buses).
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - L'escargot
If I was Fernando I'd sooner take an hour's bus journey than have to suffer 20 minutes of watching that little upstart Lewis puffing his chest out!
--
L\'escargot.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - Peter
Joking apart, it can get serious. In the days when fuel was £0.65/ltr I agreed to run a chap from Swindon to Bristol and return for £7.50/day. This was £6.00 cheaper than the Railway and virtually door to door. As we know fuel prices have risen and last year I broached the subject of a fare rise to compensate. Oh dear, one got the impression I was asking to borrow his nearest and dearest for the weekend orgy. He begrudgingly upped the fare to £8.00/day and did not speak for three days.

I would recommend that a starting fare be agreed with rises at set parameters such as annually or fuel price changes. Cuts out the angst.

As I travel ~30K miles/year every little helps.
Driving from California along Route 66 in 1973, a bit short of money, I picked up various hitchhikers and tried to bum money off them for petrol, without success. One particularly louche group of three crusty-style hippies alarmed me by shoplifting in small Arizona towns undoubtedly with gun-toting sheriffs, and when they left gave me a code number which they said I could use to make free phone calls all over the world, allegedly at the expense of General Motors. Never dared try it though, and with petrol at 30-odd cents a stingy American gallon I managed to get back to New Jersey too.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - Group B
Driving from California along Route 66 in 1973 a bit short of money I picked
up various hitchhikers and tried to bum money off them for petrol without success.

What motor did you have Lud? You could have been racing people for money, a la Two Lane Blacktop!?

;o)
3.7l. Plymouth slant six, 1964, auto controlled by big pushbuttons you had to use your thumb on. Definitely not a drag racer, especially as it would overheat if driven for long uphill or on the flat over about 50 in the daytime, 55 at night.

Driven like that it did well over 25 miles to an American gallon. I never let it overheat properly and it used no oil and kept the oil it had clean for 8,000 miles odd. I think it had done 70 or 80,000 odd miles, but that engine was well known to stay sweet for very high mileages, 250,000-plus. An amazingly good consumer product actually. But definitely no muscle car!
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - OldHand
Is his better half a looker? If so maybe the orgy idea might be a runner?

Otherwise tell him you won't be giving him a lift for a while and see how he likes public transport.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - chairmanmatt
I'm with you Big Bad Dave. Charge those kids. They'll be leaching off you for years to come!

A girl from work was always leaving messages at work telling someone to pass on the message for me pick her up on my way to work, which wasn't on 'my way'. At the end of the day she used to just walk to my car without even asking. I did it about 3 times a week for 2 months without being to bothered (new boy and not wanting to ruffle any feathers), but the more it happened the more peeved I got. I stopped at petrol stations and she never offered. I dropped hints that taking her home added 15 mins on to my journey, but she chose to ignore them. I wouldn't have accepted payment for petrol, but it would have been nice to be asked... even sweets would have done. 2 months ago I heard her on the phone to her boyfriend saying that I was on shift so I would give her a lift (without being asked again) and her boyfriend could stay at home. I told her that I didn't mind doing it occasionally, but it wasn't on my way to work (which she already knew) and she'd have to find other arrangements in future. She's found another fool to blag lifts off now anyway so I'm guilt free and quietly contented.
Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - drbe
She's found another fool to blag lifts off now anyway
so I'm guilt free and quietly contented.

>>

If I read your post as you intend it, it seems she got about 4 months of free rides!
Pretty good in her eyes, I would guess.

I think the thing with all these lifts to/from work is to get it established at the start that you will expect reimbursement for petrol. Otherwise sooner or later, resentment builds up.

Should Fernando pay for Lewis' service? - chairmanmatt
drbe

Yes, actually about 5 months of free rides. I never expected payment, but I did expect the courtesy of being asked and not her assuming. It frustrated me that she'd leave a message with someone as well, as though I was a taxi, in essence I was... a free one though. I should have done what one of the others did when they told her that she was welcome to lifts as long as she contributed an excessive (although cheaper than a taxi) £5 per journey. She didn't ask them thereafter unless in times of desperation.
Exactly! being offered payment (and declining), has the "feel good" factor, because it's your choice, - but being taken for granted (i.e no choice) fuels resentment.

Iwould rather be offered 10p (and turn it down )than nothing at all,and be expected to pick the person up again the next day.

Whats worse (and this has happened to me and the others in the car) is when you go around at 5.30am to pick them up, and they've slept in, it makes you all late, but even then they've come out on top because they've still got into work, whereby they wouldn't have made it if you hadn't bothered to call for them!.
If you see what i mean?