Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - Rattle
My mate looked at my car tonight and said he didn't think there was anything wrong with the temp gauge going towards the red after 20 minutes of reving and idling and that I have invented a fault.

I am starting to think he may be right :(. Is it normal for it to go into the red even after such long idling and high revving?

Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - billy25
Hi Victor,
the only thing i remember going into the red then overheating was my "ex"! but thats a different story.
As long as the water pump, and fan are working and the radiator (airflow) isn't obstructed then it shouldn't get into the red. Does the fan (electric?) kick in as it nears the red? if it doesn't you may need to change/clean the sensor which is usually stuck in the side of the radiator with two wires attached.

hth,

Billy
Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - BazzaBear {P}
I'm with you Rattle. If the cooling system is working correctly, it should stay out of the red indefinitely.
On the other hand, if it takes 20 minutes of determined trying to get it into the red, in might not be a very important problem.
Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - local yokel
The more important issue is how the vehicle behaves on the road, surely? Does it overheat when driven at normal speeds? Tip - if it does start to get hot, say when idling after a very fast M-way run if you hit a jam, then turn on the cabin heater (and open the windows).
Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - Altea Ego
Victor Meldrew? No but I do think you might have the automotive version of "munchausen's syndrome by proxy".

;)
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - Rattle
Done about 150 miles since changing the thermostat when it DID overheat in normal driving but its not done since but I am not convinced its sorted all the other Festas I know run very cool.

I only bought the car last week I am so worried there is something serious like a cracked cylinder block or something causing the problem, there dosn't seem to be any coolant loss but its too early to properly know.

Suppose isntead of thinking it just needs a new radiator or water pump I always have to assume the worst.
Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - Screwloose

This may be caused by having too much spare time and money - might I suggest that you find yourself a bad woman...
Have I turned into Victor Meldrew? - Waino
Rattle - I can empathise with your symptoms; Ego - I concur with your diagnosis of msbp; Screwloose - you are spot on with the treatment!

My Mondeo started heating up in slow traffic after it was 4 or 5 years old - and I became concerned. I could reproduce this by driving very slowly round the block and letting it idle (plus a few revs) - and then the fans would cut in. We changed the temperature senser - but still no cure. I stopped worrying about it 3 years ago after the situation had not worsened and there was no water loss etc. I reckon it was the water pump becoming less effective (wear on the blades?) and/or clogging of its arteries - the problems of old age. I now concentrate my worrying on my bad woman and my kippers.

If you want to sleep better at night, get breakdown cover on your insurance.