Carrying spare bulbs - Mapmaker
Each summer, posters get in a panic because they're going to France and have to buy a box of spare bulbs.

Don't you carry them with you all the time? What happens when a headlight bulb goes at the start of a long journey through fog in the dark on a Sunday evening?

(As happened to me last winter, and I thanked my late father for having supplied the car with spare bulbs - no doubt for a continental trip. The other bulb went within a day or so - I could have had to call the AA otherwise.)
Carrying spare bulbs - Altea Ego
Have you tried to change some bulbs in some cars by the side of the road? It is simply not possible on some of them
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Carrying spare bulbs - MagDrop
What happens when a headlight bulb goes at the start of a long journey through fog in the dark on a Sunday evening?>

If your car was made after 1995 then unless you abandon your journey it?s probable you will have to drive it in that condition. Most cars made since then require a garageful of tools to replace a headlight bulb. See HJ?s column in the Telegraph on August 4th.

Carrying spare bulbs - ukbeefy
Or do what about 15-20% of drivers I see on the road - drive as normal for months on end regardless of having various bulbs not working eg brake lights, one headlight etc. I often play a game walking back from the tube station along a main road in south London thinking can I count a minute going by without seeing a car with only one headlight or a non working side or brake light. I've never managed to count to 60 in years of trying the little game.

Carrying spare bulbs - jc2
It is not a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs in France-just a recommendation.
Carrying spare bulbs - henry k
>>Don't you carry them with you all the time?

I do AND I know they are the correct ones because I have checked every one of them.
I have spares for everything, except the dash lights, all in a home made padded container.

Where do you get a set that is correct for your vehicle other than supplying a VIN to the main dealer spares dept? Else how do you know you have the correct bulbs ?

The tables provided by all the online bulb suppliers are wrong for my vehicle.
It is hardly a rare model - 98 Mondeo.

p.s. To change a dip bulb I have to first remove the fan shield, the grill and then the headlamp.
I also have to remember which two headlamp retaining screws to remove and which one to loosen.
I understand this procedure is fairly simple compared with some vehicles ;-((
Carrying spare bulbs - mike hannon
Any French super/hypermarket will sell you a cheapish travel kit of replacement bulbs, the only main difference between the sets is the type of headlamp bulb. Just take a look for yours. Only type of bulbs they don't seem to stock are edge-fitting ones as used on my car...but they are cheap enough and available off the shelf at the main dealer (gasp).
Carrying spare bulbs - MichaelR
I don't carry spare bulbs becuase my car has Xenon headlights.

How does this put me with regards to French law?
Carrying spare bulbs - tr7v8
Had a N/S headlight go on the Jag S-Type the other week. Pleasant wander in the sun to a welsh garage, returned & swapped in the hotel car park in ten minutes & that included opening the car & reading the manual. No tools required for any of the bulbs. H7 in garage was £5.99 & I do have spare sets at home.
Carrying spare bulbs - installer
I don't carry spare bulbs because my car has Xenon headlights.
How does this put me with regards to French law?

There is no law that bulbs are to be carried as such!

However if you do not replace a blown bulb (when asked to do so) before proceeding, you have committed a further offence.
Carrying spare bulbs - Cliff Pope
>>
I have spares for everything except the dash lights all in a home made padded
container.

Gosh, your car must be well-loaded! I knew someone who carried a spare cylinder head, and LandRovers on safari are advised to carry spare road springs, but "everything" is taking precautions a bit far?
Carrying spare bulbs - rich66
p.s. To change a dip bulb I have to first remove the fan shield the
grill and then the headlamp.

And don't forget to have the headlamp alignment checked before you continue driving!

It's the same on the Mk 1.5 Focus.
Carrying spare bulbs - henry k
And don't forget to have the headlamp alignment checked before you continue driving!

Fortunately the adjustment screws are not involved and the car has passed the alignment check in the MoT every time.
Carrying spare bulbs - L'escargot
Don't you carry them with you all the time?

No, I would just copy everyone else and use my additional/auxilliary headlights, called foglights by some (!), until the next MOT is due. ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Carrying spare bulbs - Collos25
"It is not a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs in France-just a recommendation"

Is that correct I don't think so.
Carrying spare bulbs - OldHand
If you own a MKIV Golf there would be little point carrying them as you have to remove the bumper to change the headlight bulbs. Yet another reason I hated my MKIV Golf.
100% correct;You must not drive with a light out but you do not need to carry spares-if you think I am wrong,please quote the appropriate law to me,not just some magazine article.
Philips Vision Care H1
Search > Search Results > Philips Vision Care H1
Spare bulb kit
The carrying of the spare bulb kit is mandatory in France, the Netherlands, and Spain, and recommended in all other European countries. Make sure that you can replace a worn out light bulb immediately during the course of a journey to ensure that you arrive safely at your destination without having to stop at a garage.

With VisionCare help is only a phone call away. Who do you call when experiencing problems while you are travelling in Europe? VisionCare not only contains a collection of the most important bulbs in your car, but also a listing of the emergency phone numbers for all European countries. With these numbers in your glove department, the police, ambulance, fire service or technical breakdown assistance are always at arms length. VisionCare - Philips top quality. As all bulbs manufactured under the Philips brand, the ones contained in VisionCare are of highest quality.

We deliver the same quality products to carmakers. Philips halogen

Travel Checklist
Verify travel documentation thoroughly.
A valid 10-year passport is required for every member of your party. Any child going abroad without a parent or legal guardian must have a letter of consent, otherwise permission to travel may be refused
If you are not an EU citizen check your visa requirements
All drivers must carry a full driving licence (if this is a European Communities version, an International Driving Licence is not required)
Check in advance with your insurance company whether you need a Green Card
Keep your travel insurance documents - vehicle and personal - in a safe, accessible place
Ensure you obtain an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) form from the Post Office in the UK or the local Health Board in Ireland. Many insurers insist on this being used before a claim is made on your Personal Travel insurance. Alternatively you can apply online at www.ehic.org.uk
Take your vehicle registration and insurance documents
It is a legal requirement to display a GB or IRL nationality sign, unless your vehicle is fitted with GB/IRL Euro plates
Always carry a red warning triangle and spare bulbs for rear, side and headlights - without these you may be liable for an instant fine
In Spain motorists who wear glasses for driving are required to keep a spare pair in their car
In Spain it is a legal requirement for you to wear a reflective jacket in case of having to leave your vehicle by the road - or you risk a heavy fine
Make sure you convert your headlights with stick-on deflectors so that they dip away from oncoming traffic
For motoring abroad the AA website is a useful source of additional information www.theaa.com
Remember to cancel any home deliveries
Last but not least check the ferry departure date and time on your documents and allow time for road incidents etc. You should arrive no later than 45 minutes prior to departure

It is a requirement in France that you carry spare bulbs (indicator, brake light, headlight etc.) a warning triangle and first aid kit in your vehicle. You can check the latest requirements on sites like theaa.com. Make sure you are properly prepared as the authorities aren't afraid to dish out an on the spot fine. You also want to think about the journey, if you are doing it overnight some of the passengers might want to sleep so bring some pillows. We have also found that the food at the French Motorway Services leaves a lot to be dersired. We now prefer to take our own sandwiches and just pick up the hot and cold drinks from the services.

Hazard flashers must be switched on in the case of a breakdown. A complete set of spare bulbs must also be carried. If you have to replace a bulb, keep the old one just in case a Gendarme decides he would like to check your remaining spare bulbs. This will prove you have had to replace one. A fire extinguisher and first aid kit are recommended.

I don't think I would be prepared to get caught without a spare set.

Carrying spare bulbs - PhilDews
OldHand - what you should have done is found someone with smaller hands - I've successfully changed headlight bulbs on the mk4 Golf. The only thing that stopped me on one was when the garage incorrectly replaced the catch on the bonnet, leaving me unable to open it!!

But I do understand what you are saying about it being a difficult job to do.

Compare this with the albeit new shape Ford Focus - its a 5 minute job to change the bulb, just remember to carry a Philips screwdriver with you....
Carrying spare bulbs - Bill Payer
Where to the breakdown companies stand on this - I understand the AA & RAC won't come out to change a bulb as the car hasn't broken down?
>Breakdown companies

I once had them out to home to diagnose a failed windscreen wiper motor, and then to fit a new one 48 hours later. It may have helped that I had a girl to do the negotiations...

>French law

Contrary to what some have posted, is it NOT a legal requirement to carry a set of bulbs in France. What IS illegal in France is to drive (even one yard (or metre)) with a blown bulb. If Plod stops you for driving illegally with a blown bulb, then you will not be prosecuted IF you have a spare bulb and therefore can change it.

So, in effect, it can be a legal requirement to carry a set of spare bulbs in France in order to avoid prosecution, but you will not be prosecuted for failing to carry them.

Answering what some people above have said-the AA website does not mention bulbkits,the RAC lists them as recommended for France,not compulsory and,referring to a firm that sells the kits-what would you expect them to say??.
Nor is it a legal requirement in France to carry a warning triangle(unless your vehicle is not fitted with hazard flashers) or a first aid kit but both are recommended.What is a requirement is a GB sticker.Yes the EU law does say the number plate one is acceptable but the 1928 law requiring a proper full size plate was never rescinded in France and the EU plate does not meet the size requirements-you are unlikely to meet up with an awkward policeman who knows this but you could.
Carrying spare bulbs - leef
Don't you carry them with you all the time? What happens when a headlight bulb
goes at the start of a long journey through fog in the dark on a
Sunday evening?

Don't carry them, probably never will, if I had a headlight failure then the AA or RAC are towing me home.

Lee
Carrying spare bulbs - Tim Allcott
Changed the nearside brakelight bulb on the A6 when in France. But then the A6 has a system check, and shows an icon with a loud accompanying beep to indicate a bulb is out every time you start up...
--
Tim{P}
Nor is it a legal requirement in France to carry a warning triangle(unless your vehicle is not fitted with hazard flashers)

tell that to myBIL who was fined (robbed)in France of 50euros for not displaying a warning triangle when he broke down on the Paris ring.
"A national driving license, the car?s registration document and a red warning triangle must be carried at all times".

Translated from the French ebassy web site in Germany.